Options

LPS#6 opinions

quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
edited June 5, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
hallo all, suggestions for me? I have a few other shots that I could work up ...

159313980-M.jpg
heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
facebook
photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.

Comments

• Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Great idea
    Although, I'll never eat another orange without the slide rule, protractor, and gram scale rolleyes1.gifI think this works well.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    I love this one!
    It cracked me up and reminded me of geometry classes! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    That's hilarious! I love it!! Very nicely done.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2007
    Thanks all. I think I am in some danger of over-processing here so I wanted to pulse the crowd.

My husband and I actually had a conversation about whether the orange would have equilateral triangle parts (or not) while I was working on this. So if anyone figures it out let me know and I can adjust the angles accordingly. :D
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Heh
    quark wrote:
    Thanks all. I think I am in some danger of over-processing here so I wanted to pulse the crowd.

My husband and I actually had a conversation about whether the orange would have equilateral triangle parts (or not) while I was working on this. So if anyone figures it out let me know and I can adjust the angles accordingly. :D

You lost me once you put numbers in there.....I have no idea what an equilateral triangle pieces parts is...let alone a principal participle headscratch.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    quark wrote:

I'm not sure -- the slices actually look more like isoceles triangles. headscratch.gif:D

But I don't think it really matters. ne_nau.gif You won't be getting graded on your math here. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Laughing.gif! I actually have to say, the numbers ARE all wrong! But with a glass of wine in me, I can't actually help you fix 'em right now. But maybe tomorrow!

It's great whether the math adds up or not... :D
  • Options
    NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    ...math...smath....brought lots of smiles to all! Thanks clap.gif.

(Does the same math work for a grapefruit?? headscratch.gif )

Maureen
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    Nicely done. It feels a little closely cropped to me, but that may just be a taste thing.

On the math: there are 10 sections to the orange so the average angle is going to be 36 degrees (36*10 = 360), albeit some will be wider and some narrower. One section is then going to have one 36 degree angle and two 72 degree angles (36 + 72 + 72 = 180). The angle you have marked 70 degrees is likely quite close to the actual measurement. The rest are further off. That said, I don't think getting the numbers right is actually important to the photograph.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2007
    Some of the math geeks around here have shown thier hands. rolleyes1.gif

All the math is totally non-sensical. The equations use un-labeled angles and all the triangles have angles that contradict one another if you assumed that all the pieces are roughly equivalent.

I can also make you a sweet deal on a box of frictionless pulleys if anyone is interested. :)
    facebook
    photoblog

• Options
    JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    Hi,

This is a fun picture:D. I have no idea if your math is right or not, but as others have said I don't think it matters. One of the things that drives me nuts is choosing a typeface. I think your choice is great. clap.gif

Jill
    Jill
  • Options
    BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    higher math
    quark wrote:

159313980-M.jpg

for the non-particle phycisist, that angle of 110 degrees does not refer to the section of orange it seems to portray

I am not sure everyone will appreciate some of the information in this image, so will watch to see how it does...
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    I like your photo Quark! Great idea for orange angles!

I'd be remiss if I did not share my observation that up to this point in the challenge, I haven't seen photos with enhancements like the ones you used go to the top 10. For example, we can't use frames because they say our photos should stand on their own, so it makes me wonder how enhancements like this will fare. That being said, maybe it's totally fine. It's only a personal observation.

I wish you the best in the challenge!!!

Have fun,
    Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341