Options

Hockey Shotz

MissConductMissConduct Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited February 4, 2005 in Sports
Thank you thank you thank you.. I love this site!

Tonight armed with a Digital Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1PP. I will try and take shots of my husband playing goal.

A little about me: I am 30yrs old. I play hockey (women's league/men's pickup) I love digital photography but am I complete NooB! I know nothing about how to set my camera up and use it in an arena.. until I came here. Very insightful. Thanks.

One question: Anyone here have any suggestions for tonight?

Here is a little camera info:

2.0 MP
Lens: optical 12xzoom, f=4.6-55.2mm/f2.8
Digital zoom- single 3x, burst: 2x
shutter: electronic + mechanical shutter
Burst recording: 4fps max 7 fps
ISO: auto, 50/100/200/400
shutter speed: 8- 1/2,000
motion image mode 1/30 - 1/2,000

or read here

TIA

MC
Face Down, Nobody Is Ugly

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 1, 2005
    Welcome Miss C!!
    wave.gif

I hope you enjoy this site. There are lots of very knowledgable and very friendly folks here :D

Have fun tonight and please do not expect too much :uhoh Reading up on your camera, I don't even think you can adjust your exposure settings. It looks like Auto and Program only. So I'm not so sure how it will do tonight. FWIW, most digitals (non-Dslr's) are not the right tool for this task. Sort of like using a hammer to drive in a screw. It can be done, but the results aren't usually the most elegant of solutions rolleyes1.gif

If you could set up your cam for this type of shooting, you'd most likely be looking at using the widest aperture (lowest F number) and a speed as high as you could get without seriously under exposing, using ISO400. Depending on how well lit the rink is (well lit being relative). At a Pro rink you should be able to get 1/320-1/400 speeds at ISO400. Maybe even better.

Go check out Winger's shots and galleries. You should be able to get some ideas from looking at her shots and checking the settings she used.

http://winger.smugmug.com/gallery/377723
    http://winger.smugmug.com/Sports

Welcome again and good luck tonight,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    Check out my gallery's on hockey shots also.

I shoot with a Canon 20D at ISO 800-1600 and a shutter speed of 1/250-1/500
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2005
    Well.. I went and I tried.. hehehe.. here some of the shots..
    Pick-up Hockey Shotz

I found that the camera was better on auto then putting it on ISO400. Like I said first time tho. Nothing compared to the photos above lol. Never will bene_nau.gif. Going to try again Saturday. Hopefully get used to the cameraheadscratch.gif. Figure out what's best. Thanks again to all who repliedclap.gif. And for whomever made this site. Its very informative! thumb.gif

MC
  • Options
    dashphotographydashphotography Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    Not bad for a point and shoot.
    One thing you might try is a program called Neat Image. you can get the free trial version here: www.neatimage.com This program will take out a good deal of the noise you see in your images.

I shoot youth hockey with a 20D at either 800 or 1600 iso and I usually batch run my images through neat image to clean up what very little noise I get.

Shawn.

www.dashphotography.com
    Well.. I went and I tried.. hehehe.. here some of the shots..
    Pick-up Hockey Shotz

I found that the camera was better on auto then putting it on ISO400. Like I said first time tho. Nothing compared to the photos above lol. Never will bene_nau.gif. Going to try again Saturday. Hopefully get used to the cameraheadscratch.gif. Figure out what's best. Thanks again to all who repliedclap.gif. And for whomever made this site. Its very informative! thumb.gif

MC
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2005
    One thing you might try is a program called Neat Image. you can get the free trial version here: www.neatimage.com This program will take out a good deal of the noise you see in your images.

I shoot youth hockey with a 20D at either 800 or 1600 iso and I usually batch run my images through neat image to clean up what very little noise I get.

Shawn.

www.dashphotography.com

Oh awesome.. thanks.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 2, 2005
    calling our resident hockey shooting expert... Winger... come in Winger....
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    calling our resident hockey shooting expert... Winger... come in Winger....
    First you guys ignore me now im a resident expert.....man you guys are like some crazy woman playing with my head.
    But anyways.

I dont know too much about that camera, but I started out with an olympus 3040 a point and shoot camera. I had to learn how to deal with the delay and figure out some of the settings (like making sure to change the ISO so the pictures dont get super blury).
    I was just looking though the gallery from 2 years ago...man have I come far.
    3340164-M.jpg
    3340179-M-1.jpg
    (these were with my point and shoot camera)

One of the biggest complements I get from the different people that work for umass athletics is that when you look at my photos you can tell what is going on, you can feel the emotion. Hockey is tough because its hard to see their faces and its tough.....but if you play the game you know what makes stuff exciting....making a great defensive play, a poke check, winning a face off, a hit (yeah cause girls dont hit....but playing the body, which i do). (this on is a little fuzzy, I proably could of opened up the to a higher F but i was in such a rush from racing across boston from the track meet)
    15055162-M-1.jpg
    And of course the goal
    10943105-M.jpg
    (off the poor D-man's skate)
    11344784-M-2.jpg
    but dont forget about the celebration.
    15093793-M-1.jpg

9635164-M-2.jpg

As a player of the game and of any sport you know there is more to the game then just the play at hand.
    15079644-M-1.jpg
    15079653-M-1.jpg

10943477-M.jpg
    And maybe my photos dont slide into the traditonal art, I was working on that side of photography but I was given an opportunity that I couldnt turn down. But it doesnt mean I can't create art like photos during the game.
    10766422-M-2.jpg
    12469967-M-1.jpg

If nothing else just remember it just a game.
    12005741-M-1.jpg
    A game that I love.
    3403583-M-1.jpg
    (last year NCAA Frozen Four Game winner, final score Denver 1, Maine 0)

*Edit* If you are interested I posted this sort of photo story I did of what maybe the worst team in D-1 Hockey...but they are right down the road from me so I sometimes go when Umass has the night off. Is you are interested I posted it in this thread on the USCHO.com board. http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=43239&page=3&pp=20 I dont know if it will take you to the right page, but its the 17th post. Its also in my live journal but I dont know what kind of freaks you all are so I dont want to post that :-P (and I definatly know that Erik is a freak)

Let me know if they dont all show up, I think i took all the external links off.
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2005
    Winger: You have a PM
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 3, 2005
    winger wrote:
    First you guys ignore me now im a resident expert.....man you guys are like some crazy woman playing with my head.
    besides your new love for pink, you can add drama queen to your list. sheesh rolleyes1.gif:D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    besides your new love for pink, you can add drama queen to your list. sheesh rolleyes1.gif:D
    well the way my week has been going I think i am entitled....
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 4, 2005
    Winger, you crack me up. I love seeing your stuff.

Missy, nice shots for the first time. Most look well white-balanced.
    Can you do manual white balance? You may need to in some of the more
    "unusually" light arenas. My comment for now is that most of your shots
    would benefit from a tighter crop.

Sincerely,
    2-10-game.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Winger, you crack me up. I love seeing your stuff.

Missy, nice shots for the first time. Most look well white-balanced.
    Can you do manual white balance? You may need to in some of the more
    "unusually" light arenas. My comment for now is that most of your shots
    would benefit from a tighter crop.

Sincerely,
    2-10-game.

Ian
    Yes, I have manual white. The camera is quite good for the price.. hehe. I spend alot of money on hockey gear, so we had to go the best camera for a small price, and this camera was the best without spending $2000 on a lens. Thanks for the help

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED.. keep em coming.. will have more photos Sat night.

thanks
    MC
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 4, 2005
    Yes, I have manual white. The camera is quite good for the price.. hehe. I spend alot of money on hockey gear, so we had to go the best camera for a small price, and this camera was the best without spending $2000 on a lens. Thanks for the help

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED.. keep em coming.. will have more photos Sat night.

thanks
    MC
    Ha, ha! Go take the referee clinic and let your game fees pay for your playing
    time. Works for me :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Ha, ha! Go take the referee clinic and let your game fees pay for your playing
    time. Works for me :D

Ian
    Smart idea clap.gif