Options

Workshops

philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
edited June 6, 2007 in Landscapes
Well I finally had a few minutes to start processing images from the Utah workshop and get back on here.
I've got to say workshops are great!!! There's the travel with a group of people you don't know and hope they bathe :rofl and the great motels that hope to grow up to be a motel 6 some day.
Actually the whole week leading up to the workshop and the whole trip to Grand Junction I kept thinking this was probably not worth it and I should have just canceled grabed my pack and headed out to the Sierras for a week.
The first night was fine with a talk from Marc about what we should strive for in our images. But talk is cheap (well usually but not at a workshop) and yes I listened and I tried to understand and take in what he was saying. But trying to listen to anyone after almost no sleep the night before and getting up to early I have to say the only thing I remember was Marc was playing with the font tool in Photoshop.
The next morning we got up way before any normal human should have, and went out to the middle of nowhere. I got a few shots _MG_0385.jpg

After the sun moved to high we went on to Goblin Valley were we did a little shooting and site scouting IMG_0412.jpg

It was finally when we arrived in the wonderful town of Hanksville that the value of the workshop finaly became obvious. Marc grabbed a victims card from the morning and afternoon shooting and started critiquing. We all had made the same mistakes (ok not Nightingale) and here Marc was showing us what we did right and wrong, so soon after we had shot we could remember why and how we shot. That night for sunset we were able to put into practice what we had learned during the critique.
It wasn't the location that was the big benefit of the workshop (though that was nice) it was the near instant feed back and the ability to put into practice what we had learned.

In the end the cost of the workshop was more beneficial than any money I spent on any of the equipment. I have never got the kind of benefit that I got from the workshop from any item I've purchased. Anyone out there who are wavering on going to a workshop DO IT!!! You'll get more out of one weekend than you will in a year of shooting, and you'll definetly get more out of a workshop than another perfect {insert name of lens or newest camera here}.
-Philip

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg
If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
-Willy Wonka

Comments

• Options
    scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    good critique, definitely saving my pennies to hit one of those up.

nice shots too btw.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    Phil, you're forgetting that had you not made us stop, we'd never have discovered Phil's Canyon I and II!

Funny, I was taking notes and the only thing I could remember that first evening was Marc playing around with the font tools, too. :D

I am really happy to see how your shots came out. You captured some great moments around those hoodoos, especially your sunburst. I am looking forward to seeing more from you.

I for one am extremely glad that you didn't cancel on us. :)
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 5, 2007
    HI Phil,

I enjoyed meeting you and riding with you Sunday.

Now come on and show us some more of your shots -

I know you've got lots more that we can all learn fromthumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    HI Phil,

I enjoyed meeting you and riding with you Sunday.

Now come on and show us some more of your shots -

I know you've got lots more that we can all learn fromthumb.gif

So the rest of the days you didn't like riding with me :D?

I've still got lots of processing to do even the ones above I don't feel are right just wanted to post SOMETHING. Since I got home after the workshop I've been in the air 5 different days and I'm sitting in the airport right now. I hope to be home long enough over the next few days to get some more work done on the images.
    -Philip
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Phil, you're forgetting that had you not made us stop, we'd never have discovered Phil's Canyon I and II!

Funny, I was taking notes and the only thing I could remember that first evening was Marc playing around with the font tools, too. :D

I am really happy to see how your shots came out. You captured some great moments around those hoodoos, especially your sunburst. I am looking forward to seeing more from you.

Thanks Schmooo. I swear I'll work on the rest of the images soon.

-Philip
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    Hi Phil

Great meeting you at the workshop. Nice write-up, and great photos. Waiting to see the rest of 'em. clap.gif
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    schmooo wrote:

OK Ok, looks like my first nights lecture from now on will be all about the type tool in photoshopmwink.gif

Very glad to see some of your pics Phil, keep em cominthumb.gif
    Hold on to your idea about taking your pack into the Sierra Nevada Mountains, as we might just do that next yeardeal.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    Hold on to your idea about taking your pack into the Sierra Nevada Mountains, as we might just do that next yeardeal.gif

Loose lips sink ships :gun2
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    f00sion wrote:
    good critique, definitely saving my pennies to hit one of those up.

nice shots too btw.

Cool. Yes. Save them up. We're planning some exciting, action-packed and highly educational excursions. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2007
    OK Ok, looks like my first nights lecture from now on will be all about the type tool in photoshopmwink.gif

Very glad to see some of your pics Phil, keep em cominthumb.gif

Hmm the JMT would be nice but I would need a LOT more memory cards.
    -Philip
    -Willy Wonka