Options

A Drill Press

BrowndogBrowndog Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
edited June 6, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
This is from this past winter but I would really appreciate your c & c as I hope to reshoot in the near future.:dunno

159113728-L-1.jpg

Eixf: http://browndog.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=159113728
Mike W....

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2007
    Browndog wrote:
    This is from this past winter but I would really appreciate your c & c as I hope to reshoot in the near future.ne_nau.gif

Eixf: http://browndog.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=159113728

I can see it's a drill press, but other than that it doesn't do a whole lot for me I'm afraid. ne_nau.gif

What's at the top where the handles are that we cannot see?
    Are you able to next time get above it and to the side and get more of it in? ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2007
    You shot this at f/2.8. In this case, for good DOf, there is no need to go that wide. There is not much background. Here you lost the sharpness in the handle.

At 1/2000 sec. inside exposure it appears as though you might have metered off the background sky. The result appears as the dark shadows in the image. The dark shadow on the support plate causes it to disappear into the background. Likewise, the dark shadows at the top cause the rest of the press to disappear. Try metering off the support table or something else then recompose the shot.

You shot this straight-on so the whole press appears to be the focal point.
    However, you appear to want to key in on the table, the drill bit, and the drill chuck/collet assembly. Perhaps recompose by lowering the chuck to be closer to the table, and shoot at an angle down at something larger than 50mm to get the texture in the table, too. Instead of the position you stood in try going 45-60 degrees to the left so that you can still get the riser in the image. Might want to try several shots at several different angles to see what works best.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2007
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the input Skippy & David! I will give it all a try.
    Mike W....
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    I would suggest doing it in black & white. There is nothing in the color that adds to the shot, and the tones would be more interesting in grayscale.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited June 5, 2007
    Actually, I like the orange tones here. Too bad the handle and the raise/lower gear track is not critically sharp. It hink the gear track needs to be sharp here.

I like machinery in B&W also, but I do think this is basically a monochromatic shot that profits by the warm sunlight that it would lose in the conversion to B&W.

The background does not help here though. The contact between the drill chuck and the background is better avoided by raising or lowering either the camera or the drill chuck too. I think a darker background might be helpful, as lighter tones tend to grab the eye as it roams around. The darkness at the left of the drill bit I rather like.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2007
    Grayscale vs B/W
    I would suggest doing it in black & white. There is nothing in the color that adds to the shot, and the tones would be more interesting in grayscale.

Alright
    Here it is in grayscale
    159963637-L.jpg

And then in B/W
    159963670-L.jpg
    Mike W....
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited June 5, 2007
    Like I said, the warm, monochromatic color is betterthumb.gif

Orange against the complementary light blue background. Right out of grade school color wheelsclap.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    CaiusMartiusCaiusMartius Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    I like the color of the rust. Maybe you could do a duotone based of that?
    http://bedford.smugmug.com
    Gear: Canon 7D
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L
    Canon 28mm f/1.8
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8