Options

Is there a way to delete duplicates?

figbugfigbug Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited June 6, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Is there a way to delete duplicate images from an album? Is there a way to upload all the images from all folder except the ones that already exist in the album?

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    figbug wrote:
    Is there a way to delete duplicate images from an album? Is there a way to upload all the images from all folder except the ones that already exist in the album?

I don't know of any way to automatically delete duplicates. The best work-around I can think of is to go to the customize gallery screen, make sure the display of filenames is enabled and then set the gallery to sort by filename. This will group each of your duplicates together, you should be able to easily see them and you can manually delete one of the duplicates in each case.

I don't know of any way to upload only the files that aren't already in the gallery without manually recording which files are already in the gallery and then manually picking the others from your directory on your PC. Another option if you have a copy of your computer of everything you want in the new gallery, then just upload all of the images to a new gallery (do it overnight if you want) and then delete the original gallery.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    rickbradrickbrad Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    I suppose that this question comes from your experience of uploads failing before completing. Don't upload the entire list again if an upload fails in the middle of execution.

I have experienced the same problem, and would just suggest that you sort the gallery by date (date and time modified, not date and time taken - because that is what the date that corresponds to file date on a PC), then sort the folder on your pc by date; next, find the last file uploaded in the gallery and select only the files below the corresponding file in the PC folder and upload only those.

This of course won't help you if you like to upload from several folders into one gallery...
    Rick Bradshaw

Self Proclaimed Amateur
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    figbug wrote:
    Also check your upload log in the controlpanel to see if there are still images in the pipe being processed.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    figbug wrote:

1) I'm not aware of an existing way to automatically deleting duplcates - although I think this is something I cna easily come up with soon enough. deal.gif (thanks for the idea thumb.gif :-)

2) yes, Star*Explorer can check if the online version already exists and avoid uploading it next time (great for "picture of the day" or other stuff).

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2007
    Thanks for the info. I shot an event, and then on my pc, I sorted the images from the event into seperate folders. Now, I want to upload the photos, but into one gallery. So, in windows explorer I went to the folder and searched for *.jpg and then dragged them to the drag drop uploader. However, it timed out, and it doesn't give an option to restart. Since they were in seperate folders, it didn't upload them in order. So I restarted the upload and now I have a bunch of duplicates.
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2007
    figbug wrote:
    Thanks for the info. I shot an event, and then on my pc, I sorted the images from the event into seperate folders. Now, I want to upload the photos, but into one gallery. So, in windows explorer I went to the folder and searched for *.jpg and then dragged them to the drag drop uploader. However, it timed out, and it doesn't give an option to restart. Since they were in seperate folders, it didn't upload them in order. So I restarted the upload and now I have a bunch of duplicates.

You won't have any of those problems with S*E, that's for sure. While the uploads can be interrupted for whatever reason, S*E will keep a persistent reacord what's been uploaded and what not, so you can simply restart the upload and go on. And with the Online Duplicates Verification feature it will stop you from uploading more than one copy into the same gallery.
    Try it, you may like it mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2007
    My upload log looks like this. It looks like it's stuck on the last one.
    160177045-Ti.jpg DSC_3566.JPG 1x1-gray.gif160177045 1x1-gray.gif Processing 1x1-gray.gif 2007-06-06 10:47:32 1x1-gray.gif 123s 1x1-gray.gif n/a 1x1-gray.gif
    1x1-gray.gif160176813-Ti.jpg DSC_3565.JPG 1x1-gray.gif160176813 1x1-gray.gif Complete 1x1-gray.gif 2007-06-06 10:46:28 1x1-gray.gif 146s 1x1-gray.gif 40s 1x1-gray.gif
    1x1-gray.gif160176655-Ti.jpg DSC_3564.JPG 1x1-gray.gif160176655 1x1-gray.gif Complete 1x1-gray.gif 2007-06-06 10:45:18 1x1-gray.gif 196s 1x1-gray.gif 23s
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2007
    I downloaded S*E, I'm giving it a try now.
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2007
    figbug wrote:
    I downloaded S*E, I'm giving it a try now.
    Cool! thumb.gif
    If you have any questions/concerns, please don't hesitate to let me know ( s u p p o r t a t s t a r e x p l o r e r d o t c o m ) deal.gif
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    figbug wrote:
    My upload log looks like this. It looks like it's stuck on the last one.
    But it already has got a thumbnail, which means you can already see the photo in your gallery. The processing is eventually going away.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero