Options

Working an Event

ripwildripwild Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited June 6, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
A lurker finally makes his first post!

I have a question about handling an event so as to keep images lined up with the people. Let me explain a bit further.

I'm just getting started and wish to do children and family photography. I had an event come up with a dance studio that my girls attend. This was a small mother/daughter event and the owner knew I was getting things up and running so she asked me to come take seated portraits of the mother/daughters that she would provide as part of their event price. We agreed that I would do this for a nominal fee that basically covers processing and photo folders. Trying to build the portfolio so I don't want to start charging a lot at this point until I have a gallery that supports my work. Things went well with setup - had my back drop, lights, etc, etc.

I had asked for a list of the attendees to this event so that I could check them off as they came for their portrait... my thinking was that as the first people came up, I would ask their name and put a number 1 by their name. Second couple, ask name, put a number 2 by their name. They didn't have a list for me, so I just started by writing down last names in order. Well, when I got home and offloaded the images -- you guessed it.... I had more images of mother/daughters then I had names. I must have gotten distracted when a few people were in line waiting! grrrr.... So, now I have no clue which mom goes with which name so that the owner can send the photos out to the people that came to the event. She's probably going to be fine by having some people help her identify the moms since most have children already enrolled at the studio.

I'm getting to my questions.....

How do I ensure that I capture each name? Now that I typed that, it probably will come back to slap me and you'll tell me that it is a matter of discipline and that I should never press the shutter release until I know I've got the name written down!! what are the good tips out there? I know that an assistant would be helpful.

Also, do you also record frame number(s) associated with the name so that no matter what, you have a direct correlation?

Third, if I ever do events and want to get people to do some 'pre-ordering', what suggestions do you have for kicking that off? Type up a simple order sheet on the computer? Where would I order "event envelopes"??

I think that's it for now. Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    Hey Rip,

Welcome to Dgrin. I have to admit I have been there before (I had even taken extra precautions). First off when ever I am going to shoot large groups like this I always have an assistant. The assistant keeps the list, takes the orders, and doesn't let anyone get by me without having their names in order on the list. That way I can focus on the photos and know that I won't get things out of order. If I do shoot one of these by myself everyone has an order form or a card that has their name on it. They don't get a photo unless I have their order form or card that they handed to me as they walked up to get their photo taken. No card, no photo, no mistakes. Another option is to take multiple photos of them and the first photo they are holding a card with their name. If you aren't shooting with an assistant you have to make sure you focus on this though so you don't get out of order (thats why an assitant is always the way to go).

If you are doing pre-orders (Team and Individual) then having the assistant is great because they can also work as sales. They answer questions, upsell, and keep you in order. Pre-orders are also very simple. Get order forms to the person in charge a week or two before the event (the sooner the better) and they go home with the kids, the parents pick their order, then send the check with the form.

No matter what it's the same basic principle. Someone has to make sure things are done in order, and things are documented. Be it you or prefferably an assistant, you have to have something that will make it so you know not to take a photo until you have documentation. Either a order form, or a note card with their name and number (Also you have to keep your photos in order).....

I had one problem one time where there was a kid who wasn't ordering anything but had a photo taken anyways (this was a failure at the assitant level) but it was easily fixed in the proofing process. That was at my first shoot, since then I have stressed the importance of the note card or order form and have never had a problem since then.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2007
    :D All that Dragon states is true. I do a lot of this and an assistant is invaluable. If you aren't making any money you can't afford an assistant. In your particular case you might have had an employee of the studio work with you or a volunteer parent.
    Remember! " no tickee, no shirtee".
    Another thing I do is number each sitting. Even if I have 5 shots, one number. I have cards printed with all of the pertinant info on it and an area on the card for putting the "sitting number" as I call it.
    My assistant also describes what one of the couple is wearing usually the women with something like pink or blue or striped, etc.
    I know this was a virtual freebee but I also have a minimum number of sittings that I have guaranteed with a sitting fee. If that number is surpassed I give the sitting fee back.
    Just some thoughts, bsvirginian
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Shoot one exposure with the "client" holding a information card. I've done this when shooting publicity head-shots for a local community theater and it's worked very well. Of course, I'm only working with 20 - 30 people for these, but it seems to work. As an additional - I get some pretty good responses when I tell them that I'm taking their mug shot and to hold the info just under their chin.
  • Options
    ripwildripwild Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 4, 2007
    Scott, I was thinking the same thing along the mug shot line. I may keep that in mind before going the assistant route.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    Another option is to take multiple photos of them and the first photo they are holding a card with their name.

A $10 dry-erase board would work nicely for this

For our sports pictures, we have the kid turn around and the first picture we shoot is the back of their jersey, which usually has their number and name.