Options

When in Rome...take pictures

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited June 7, 2007 in Journeys
Okay so I am on another trip and my first stop was Rome and I have to say that it is the most smoke ridden city I have ever been to, its sad that Europe hasn't gotten the "Smoking kills" memo. I have an allergic reaction to cigarette smoke and have spent the last 3 days super sick. My voice left after just 2 days in Rome. But the sites were great. Theres so much to see that the 5 days I stayed just didn't seem enough. I don't normally say that about a city either! So heres the pictures from rome! :) I may not name them all but if you really want to know I'll find out from my journal what they are. I hope this isn't to many pictures! If it is let me know.I may type more about the journey later but my laptop is dying unfortunatly and so I gotta jump out now!

Inside one of the many many chapels.
rome01.jpg

They paint or decorate everything inside the building
rome02.jpg

This has to be the coolest statue I have ever seen.
rome03.jpg

Uh...Duh
rome04.jpg

Next to the Colosseum there is many old ruins.
rome05.jpg

Put your hand in and see if it gets bitten off... I still have both of mine so I am glad I am not a sinner. ;)
rome06.jpg

St. Valentino
rome07.jpg

This is the resteraunt I ate at every morning. It was owned by the same guy who owned the hostel I stayed at Called TravelPoint. Lorenzo is his name and he is in the white sitting in the back.
rome08.jpg

Incredible and enormous. This is St. Peters Basilica in Vatican City.
rome09.jpg

The cieling of the dome is painted as is every inch of the building.
rome10.jpg

One of the many statues from inside.
rome11.jpg

If you don't know what this is youve never taken an art class... A popular work of Michelangelo (the orange turtle).

View from the top of St. Peters. If you don't go to the top you are seriously missing out! Its only 551 steps..
rome13.jpg

The enormous square of St. Peters Basilica
rome14.jpg

Had to get atleast one picture of me! ;)
rome15.jpg

This is where the pope gives his speaches. St. Peters Basilica
rome16.jpg

Inside the Vatican Museums before the Sistine Chapel. They don't let you take pictures from inside but standing underneath one of the most famous artworks in the history of man is a great experience.
rome17.jpg

A famous stairwell leaving the Vatican Museums
rome18.jpg

The nighttime Colosseum
rome19.jpg

and again...
rome20.jpg

Okay and one more time. But this guy was jamming out bigtime to some rocker hits on his guitar at 10pm. Figured it added as a good element.
rome21.jpg

This building had a small door that opened to this empty but beautiful courtyard.
rome22.jpg

The Pantheon is also incredible. One of the only still standing buildings from 2000 years ago in rome. It looks like it was building yesterday because it is so well preserved.
rome23.jpg

Well thats it for rome. I am in Malta now and already can see i am going to max out my pictures. This place is awwweeesssooommmmmeee.
Until next post!

Comments

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    Fantastic series! Seriously beautiful! iloveyou.gif

However, my favorite must be the one of the stairwell leaving the Vatican Museums.

You make me wish that I was there!
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    You will remember your trip so vividly with such wonderful photos to look at! This is a beautiful set for sure! I agree that the stairwell shot really drew me in (how would it look in B&W?) and the B&W shot of the statue is composed so well. I also especially liked the night shot of the colusseum and the ceiling of the dome. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to more!

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited May 13, 2007
    Wow! You've been getting around a bit lately :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    Wow, nice trip! Glad you shared these shots with us thumb.gif
    rome06.jpg
    for some reason it always is scary to me putting my hands in something like this :uhoh
  • Options
    cunarder534cunarder534 Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    Incredible images. I would love to go. Coliseum is my favorite.mwink.gif
  • Options
    TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    I'm going to Rome in a couple of months, and I'm dying to see your pictures. But for some reason they aren't loading. I tried going directly to your webpage, but it doesn't download either. Is it just me, or is your server down?

Mike
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Ian I have had a super hard time sitting still these last few years! :) This trips going to be 4 months if I don't run out of money first! ;)

Tanuki , The images should be working now. They are loading up for me and im in Malta! ;)

Elaine, Thanks for the comments! :) I really liked the statue one as well. I was looking at the statue in the church and wanted to take a picture of it outside of the normal "full statue" shot. So I took it this way and really love how it came out.
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    Very nice
    Excellent shots. Thanks for posting.

My wife and I are traveling to Rome in October hoping to come back with pics, hopefully, as nice as yours.

Did you have any issues with photography at any of the sites in Rome (i.e. equipment restrictions, flash restrictions, etc.)? Did you feel safe carrying around an SLR (which I assume you used)?

Thanks
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    I've never been to Italy and it looks beautiful! I cannot believe that last building is so old. It just goes to show what a little TLC can do, eh? :D
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    Ben :

I really didnt notice any problems when carrying my camera around. Even at night around the Colosseum I felt pretty comfortable. There were some places at Vatican City and in some churches that didn't enjoy cameras. The Sistine chapel is another place that dosent allow cameras at all but I think that was the only place I could think of that didn't allow them in any area of it.

For equipment problems i have a 20d with only the kit lens so I didn't get to change it at all. No dust issues for me. Except the dust already on my CCD. ;)
  • Options
    marsmarkmarsmark Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    It really depends on what time of year you go, as well... My wife and I went in January 2005, and I was able to take pictures inside the Sistene Chapel. Technically, we weren't supposed to - the security personnel would periodically yell "Quiet please! No pictures! No video!". But after a few seconds, we'd start to hear "Click. . . . . Click. . . click. click. click". So, I figured I wasn't alone in wanting to get some shots! I managed to get a dozen or so. I think in the more crowded months they enforce it more, just to keep people moving...

As for other locations, I had no trouble toting around my 20D (although I only took one lens and no extra flash) anywhere else in Rome. Other cities (Venice, Florence) were more restrictive in the museums (they want you to buy the books!)...

Anyway, your pictures brought back great memories!

-Mark
    mandncolorado.smugmug.com
  • Options
    mikanmikan Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 3, 2007
    Nice photos! We just came back and spent 4 days in Rome, and it was quite a whirlwind. I definitely agree with your observation that "they paint or decorate everything inside the building"...

In case you were wondering, the picture you have of the building with the empty courtyard is a church - Chiesa di Sant'Ivo Alla Sapienza. We took a picture of it too! :D
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2007
  • Options
    TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    Tanuki , The images should be working now. They are loading up for me and im in Malta! ;)

I still can't view the images from my home computer or my work computer. The website in your signature doesn't come up either. Too bad, I'd love to see these photos.

This is a long shot, but maybe it's got something to do with me being in Japan. If anyone reading this is in Japan, could you post whether or not you can can view these photos?

Mike
  • Options
    mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Wow, nice!

Getting... travel... urge...

How many of those interior shots were handheld/tripod/monopod? I assume the night shots of the Coliseum were tripoded...
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2007
    I think every shot done inside was done handheld. Your right about the colusseum shots. ;)
  • Options
    p27rpyp27rpy Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    awesome shots! i was just in rome as well, and took many of the same pictures posted in my travel thread. that courtyard with the small door was really nice.
    thanks for sharing!

theo