Options

Street candids: on a day like today

Comments

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    I'm fairly busy at work so I cannot prepare a proper post but I still would like to share the latest set of street photographs, so here is a quick list with links.

Show of force - Police women on horses
    http://www.digital-photo.com.au/v/People/Street+Photography/Police-women-on-horses_MG_6861.jpg.html

Ted:

This is something I've never seen. Are there all guy police horse units too? Can't imagine that's a very fun life for a horse after seeing those goggles and knee pads!

Also, about your comments on the public surveillance cameras-- I agree. They are everywhere. We even have cameras in my town at red lights-- run the red light and it takes a photo and mails a ticket to your house!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    To tell you honestly I wouldn't know. Usually you see a couple of police on horses at the maximum. APEC forum is going to bring a lot of changes to this city. Government even considers armed troops, something that has never been done in Australia. For me show of force like that reminds me of a much darker era of communist countries, mind you there you would see armed personnel carriers.
  • Options
    Peter DumontPeter Dumont Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    Ted,
    I'm fairly busy at work so I cannot prepare a proper post but I still would like to share the latest set of street photographs, so here is a quick list with links.

Ted,
    Being "fairly busy at work"
    is no excuse for posting boring work.
    I mean, "police women on Horses" ?
    come off it.
    We all have seen that before:deadhorse - many times !

As a photographer who takes himself serious, you must entertain your audience and show us something we've never seen before.

Look here for instance, at my latest.
    Never seen before !!!!!

It's titled:

"Police horses on women" blbl.gif
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2007
    Ted,
    I was just pulling your leg.
    Loved your little serie of streetphotographs.

Bye,
    Peter (I'm silly , I know) Dumont
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    APEC forum is going to bring a lot of changes to this city. Government even considers armed troops, something that has never been done in Australia. For me show of force like that reminds me of a much darker era of communist countries, mind you there you would see armed personnel carriers.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was in Seattle during the 1999 WTO protests-- the police drove armored personnel carriers right into the masses (who were mostly peaceful) and started shooting tear gas and pepper spray. Still took 'em two days to clear the streets though-- a crowd of 40,000 tends to be tough to disperse.

Makes for great photos-- but be prepared if you go to the APEC. Take THICK cloth to cover your nose and mouth from tear gas/pepper spray, goggles are also a good idea, and water to flush out eyes if you do get tear gassed. A gas mask is another alternative. Not everyone is affected by the police grade tear gas believe it or not, though. It's best to go with someone who can act as a lookout while you shoot-- those rubber bullets hurt but there's usually some sort of warning before they start flying (even if it's just a cop on an armerd personnel carrier standing and taking aim).

Anyway, I understand in Sydney you don't see that kind of thing-- but it's pretty much become the law enforcement norm in major US and European cities.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    kombizzkombizz Banned Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    nice image with good compositions
  • Options
    Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    Peter, I don't think you are silly at all.

Show of force is not normal in Sydney. It may be somewhere else but not here. And what they planning for September is ouright scary - close a large section of Sydney, cordon it off with police and armed forces, jam mobile phones, close train stations and force public holiday, so no one visits the city. Does that spell democracy and freedom?
    I was just pulling your leg.
    Loved your little serie of streetphotographs.

Bye,
    Peter (I'm silly , I know) Dumont
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2007
    Bob Dylan said:
    Peter, I don't think you are silly at all.

Show of force is not normal in Sydney. It may be somewhere else but not here. And what they planning for September is ouright scary - close a large section of Sydney, cordon it off with police and armed forces, jam mobile phones, close train stations and force public holiday, so no one visits the city. Does that spell democracy and freedom?

Ted,
    Sounds a bit like what is happening in germany with the G8 conference :yikes
    right now.
    Bob Dylan said: "dont trust anyone over 21."
    That may be a bit of an exageration, but personally, I certainly would not
    trust any politician over 21.lol3.gif

Bye,

Peter Dumont
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    "Police horses on women" blbl.gif
    You don't need help from Photoshop to take the p*ss as far as Aussies are concerned! They do it all for themselves! :D

ROSS0174.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2007
    outrageous !
    You don't need help from Photoshop to take the p*ss as far as Aussies are concerned! They do it all for themselves! :D

And this is in australia ?!?
    They should call it "upside down under"!rolleyes1.gif :lol4 rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    And this is in australia ?!?
    In Melbourne.