Options

double exposure... or is it? :)

kjskjs Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited June 8, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
I captured this image by "accident" last night when I was trying out some new settings on my camera. I won't tell you how I did it (yet), but will tell you that the only thing I did to the image was slightly crop and straighten it. The rest, including color, is as shot. I want to get your initial reaction before sharing my "technique".

Would love to hear what you think! Thanks!!

Kim

p.s. These are my kids!

160599929-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    mrscimrsci Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    Cool shot! I like it. Please let us know how you did it.
  • Options
    theinlawjosietheinlawjosie Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    Incredible shot. Bravo! clap.gif
    Shane

"Set the Gear Shift for the High Gear of Your Soul"
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    This looks like a picture of picturesheadscratch.gif
    I like the blurred motion effect as well as the color cast. Oh what great discoveries are made when messin around:ivar
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    kjs wrote:
    I captured this image by "accident" last night when I was trying out some new settings on my camera. I won't tell you how I did it (yet), but will tell you that the only thing I did to the image was slightly crop and straighten it. The rest, including color, is as shot. I want to get your initial reaction before sharing my "technique".

Would love to hear what you think! Thanks!!

Kim

p.s. These are my kids!

It looks like an open book with a photo on each page :D
    .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    It looks like an open book with a photo on each page :D
    .... Skippy

15524779-Ti.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif The effect is very cool and I would like to know how it was done......I was disappointed in digital at first not being able to do a double exposure in camera.....waiting almost patiently mwink.gif for the how it was done :D...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    I was disappointed in digital at first not being able to do a double exposure in camera

I believe some (most?) Nikons have this ability.
  • Options
    kjskjs Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    Thanks so much everyone for your kind words! Well, Marc is right! (impressive!) I was testing some new settings on my camera. I pointed it up at the wall to a framed picture collage of my kids. Since my office was so dimly lit (late at night), the shot came out blurry... but I kind of liked it. I then stood up and just started playing around with shooting different pictures in this frame. I finally came to the two pictures in the top of the frame. I composed the shot so that the black picture frame was on top and bottom. I then focused on the picture of my son on the left. I took advantage of the low light/slow shutter speed and moved the camera slightly to the right to capture the photo of my daughter on the right. There was a small lamp on the desk just below which cast a great light, I thought. The glare of the glass also added to the effect.

It's funny because I recently took a plastic camera/Holga class and have gotten some fun shots with that. I've been wanting to play around with the double exposure on that camera. Who knew I would come up with something like this with my digital first! Anyway, I'm very happy with the shot. I think I particularly like that it was completely unplanned while sitting at my desk in my pajamas! It taught me to always keep my options (and eyes) open in exploring new avenues with photography! And that shooting indoors in low light maybe isn't so bad... :D

Kim
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    Great fun Kimclap.gif and hope to see some more with your new stylethumb.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    Wonderful clap.gif great idea
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery