Sunrise over Stockholm

Phil_LPhil_L Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
edited June 11, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
Couldn't sleep this morning, so I took some pics from a good vantage point in the city.

The sun rises here at ~03:55. Picture taken around 04:15.

160796762-L.jpg

I originally took two exposures with different ss to make a sandwich, but I must have jolted the tripod since they didn't line up.

This image version is from merging two versions of the darker image via tweaking the exposures in ACR and masking off in PS.

Hope you enjoy! :D

Comments

• UP N MTNSUP N MTNS Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    Very nice.thumb.gif
    At first I didnt care for the tower being cut off in the reflection on the water. But the more I look at it, I really like how it pulls you in to the photo.

UP N MTNS
    Tug at a single thing in nature, and you will find it connected to the universe.
    John Muir
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    Nice photo-- I know with PS many folks aren't using filters but I bet a 3-stop ND Grad would have saved you a lot of post work. Just an idea. But trust me, I know all too well while shooting how easy it is to just shoot multiple exposures (or tweak the RAW file like you did). It's the work in post that grinds-- not for a single photo, but if you have a whole series then it can get pretty tedious.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    Phil_L wrote:
    Couldn't sleep this morning, so I took some pics from a good vantage point in the city.

The sun rises here at ~03:55. Picture taken around 04:15.
    I originally took two exposures with different ss to make a sandwich, but I must have jolted the tripod since they didn't line up.

This image version is from merging two versions of the darker image via tweaking the exposures in ACR and masking off in PS.

Hope you enjoy! :D

Awesome colour Phil clap.gif lovely scene too thumb.gif ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Phil_LPhil_L Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    UP N MTNS wrote:
    Very nice.thumb.gif
    At first I didnt care for the tower being cut off in the reflection on the water. But the more I look at it, I really like how it pulls you in to the photo.

UP N MTNS

Thanks UP N MTNS. :D

Hmmm... you are right about the tower.

Maybe a complete reflection would have filled the same function?
    edited June 11, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Nice photo-- I know with PS many folks aren't using filters but I bet a 3-stop ND Grad would have saved you a lot of post work. Just an idea. But trust me, I know all too well while shooting how easy it is to just shoot multiple exposures (or tweak the RAW file like you did). It's the work in post that grinds-- not for a single photo, but if you have a whole series then it can get pretty tedious.

Thank you dogwood! :D

Actually I'm fairly new to PS and a ND filter is on my wish list, since I'm quite fond of this sort of photo.

Cokin have a 4-stop version and holder that might suit me??
    edited June 11, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Awesome colour Phil clap.gif lovely scene too thumb.gif ... Skippy

Why thank you kindly Skippy. :D

The "magic hour" shoot was worth forcing myself out of bed, even a 03:30.