Options

Just a day trip...

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited June 12, 2007 in Journeys
...to Grounds for Sculpture in New Jersey. Yes, even the Garden State has some nice places to visit. :D Grounds for Sculpture is a 35 acre sculpture garden that was built on some old fairgrounds. It's a great example of how some worn out buildings and grounds from the early 20th century were not left to the wrecking ball or demolition by neglect!

An archway that no one uses. :scratch I found that kind of strange but it still was rather attractive.
160333582-L.jpg

Sections of the park are set up with life sized figures from French impressionist paintings. The sculptor is J. Seward Johnson, Jr. This one is from a painting by Gustave Caillebotte. These figures are actually on a walkway to one of the restaurants.
160333622-L.jpg

Hmmmm...still haven't found out which painting she's from. She was located along a shaded path on which I happened to be walking. Have to admit I was a bit startled to see her!
160333656-L.jpg

The park is really good with incorporating the visitor into the scene from a painting.
160478469-L.jpg

OOPS! And yes, she's anatomically correct. :rofl
160334190-L-2.jpg

There also are some really cool pieces of modern sculpture in these gardens. I loved the postures and expressions on these larger-than-life large ladies.
160333970-L.jpg

This is one of the most unique sculptures I've seen. It's called "Dorion" and the artist's name is Bruce Beasely.
160333887-L.jpg

160333802-L.jpg

160334015-L.jpg

Probably one of the most famous sculptures in the park is "Depression Bread Line" by George Segal (OK I had some Photoshop fun with this one):
160333922-L.jpg

The park is a nice day trip for anyone living in the New York City and Philadelphia regions. There are two restaurants on the premesis. One is pretty fancy and rather expensive. The other is just a little place where you can pick up some fast food. But watch out for the statues in the outdoor eating area.

I have more photos here for anyone who's interested.

Comments

• Options
    JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    Hey, These are NEAT. Who would have ever thought that New Jersey would have something like this? I like the fifth and last ones the best. I see you even have some green grass in N.J.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2007
    JESTER wrote:
    Hey, These are NEAT. Who would have ever thought that New Jersey would have something like this? I like the fifth and last ones the best. I see you even have some green grass in N.J.rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for looking. Yes there is green grass in NJ! rolleyes1.gif

The place truly has to be one of NJ's best kept secrets. I forgot to mention in the original writeup that it's in the middle of an industrial park. To get there you have to go down a street lined with old warehouses and some newer (not modern, just newer) office buildings. :eek1
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited June 9, 2007
    Whoda thunk?

Pretty cool place. Do they add the "fog"?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Whoda thunk?

Pretty cool place. Do they add the "fog"?
    Yes, they add the fog. It's considered part of the "artwork". If you look closely on some of the photos you can see the jets that create the fog/mist. It was a bit warm on the day I was there, so the fog actually had a nice cooling effect. :D
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2007
    Really great....wow some of the eculptures really look alive....Great shooting.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    ~sigh~ Ahhhhh... the good old days.
    160334190-L-2.jpg

:D

Nice shots . Yeah, Jersey has a lot to offer but I did not know about this place. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for posting the pix.

Bear
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2007
    behr655 wrote:
    ~sigh~ Ahhhhh... the good old days.

:D

Nice shots . Yeah, Jersey has a lot to offer but I did not know about this place. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for posting the pix.

Bear

rolleyes1.gif

It's should be no more than about an hour's ride for you. Just hop on Interstate 295 and get off at the exit for Sloan Ave. West. I think the exit number is 65B. :D Once you get off the exit take the first jughandle that lets you turn left and then just follow the signs.
  • Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

It's should be no more than about an hour's ride for you. Just hop on Interstate 295 and get off at the exit for Sloan Ave. West. I think the exit number is 65B. :D Once you get off the exit take the first jughandle that lets you turn left and then just follow the signs.

Thanks Linda, it's on my list.

Bear
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    Art in the Park
    Richters,

Very nice. One of my favorites, is travel shots, when it's done right.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed