Options

Lot's of slowness today

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited June 13, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I've noticed many very slow operations today and last night on Smugmug. I don't believe it's bandwidth or connectivity related because some operations on Smugmug are fast, while others are excrutiatingly slow and because I've seen idential behavior at work and home. Here are some things I've noticed are really slow:
  • 10-15 seconds initially going to my site's home page. The first time I go to my site (just the home page on my site), it sometimes take 10-15 seconds before anything is display. Once the home page is open, it seems to be fairly normal speed to browse around to images and galleries.
  • 18 seconds to open my control panel.
  • 6 seconds to open "sales details".
  • 15 seconds to open a specific sales order.
  • 5 seconds to open the create gallery screen.
  • 15 seconds to process a zoom thumbnail command.
Are you expecting that this is "normal" operation? Or is something uniquely wrong with my account? Or is something generally out of whack at Smugmug today?
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I've noticed many very slow operations today and last night on Smugmug. I don't believe it's bandwidth or connectivity related because some operations on Smugmug are fast, while others are excrutiatingly slow and because I've seen idential behavior at work and home. Here are some things I've noticed are really slow:
    • 10-15 seconds initially going to my site's home page. The first time I go to my site (just the home page on my site), it sometimes take 10-15 seconds before anything is display. Once the home page is open, it seems to be fairly normal speed to browse around to images and galleries.
    • 18 seconds to open my control panel.
    • 6 seconds to open "sales details".
    • 15 seconds to open a specific sales order.
    • 5 seconds to open the create gallery screen.
    • 15 seconds to process a zoom thumbnail command.
    Are you expecting that this is "normal" operation? Or is something uniquely wrong with my account? Or is something generally out of whack at Smugmug today?
    Did you notice who won the French Open? His fans are probably back.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Did you notice who won the French Open? His fans are probably back.
    That's not any part of this, we got through Nadal's third french open victory no problems.

What is going on, for sure, is that we're doing performance tweaks and more to support all the new database activity around SmugIslands, and that could explain John's issue - not sure... it could also be a local connectivity issue, but I can't be positive without traceroutes.

In anycase John, please let us know if you continue to get less than optimal speed results - the direct answer to your question is no, those speed results should NOT be the norm.
  • Options
    PHOTOlinkPHOTOlink Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    Me Too SLOW
    11:45pm east - VERY slow, takes forever to process images and awhile for gallery to even show up in site.
  • Options
    scwalterscwalter Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    Very slow for me too. Browsing speed is a bit slow, but processing is taking a really long time.

Checking my upload log, I see wait times of 1600s or so and it grows with each image I just uploaded.

-Scott
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    simplykristisimplykristi Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    Slow on this End
    Hi All,
    It's slow on this end too. I tried to move some pics and it took forever. I am not really sure if the move worked or not. I will try again tomorrow.

Kristi

http://www.simplykristi.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    That's not any part of this, we got through Nadal's third french open victory no problems.

What is going on, for sure, is that we're doing performance tweaks and more to support all the new database activity around SmugIslands, and that could explain John's issue - not sure... it could also be a local connectivity issue, but I can't be positive without traceroutes.

In anycase John, please let us know if you continue to get less than optimal speed results - the direct answer to your question is no, those speed results should NOT be the norm.
    It's pretty hard for a description of this sort to have much to do with connectivity. It's only your processing and non-bandwidth-intensive pages that are slow. Other browsing of the images on the site seems relatively normal to me. If there were serious connectivity problems on the site, the simple web pages would be the least affected and the larger images would be the most affected. Further, I see the same issue at work and at home.

Anyway, here's a tracert:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\WINDOWS>tracert jfriend.smugmug.com

Tracing route to jfriend.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 15 ms 18 ms 14 ms adsl-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
    3 13 ms 14 ms 13 ms dist2-vlan60.snfc21.pbi.net [216.102.187.131]
    4 15 ms 14 ms 14 ms bb2-10g2-0.snfcca.sbcglobal.net [216.102.176.226]
    5 16 ms 16 ms 15 ms ex1-p14-0.eqsjca.sbcglobal.net [151.164.41.10]
    6 26 ms 26 ms 26 ms ge3-17-1000M.ar2.SJC2.gblx.net [64.212.107.29]
    7 16 ms 17 ms 17 ms SMUGMUG.gigabitethernet3-35.ar2.SJC2.gblx.net [64.214.196.246]
    8 18 ms 17 ms 20 ms hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]

Trace complete.

P:\>ping hera.smugmug.com

Pinging hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 63.81.134.23: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=247
    Reply from 63.81.134.23: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=247
    Reply from 63.81.134.23: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=247
    Reply from 63.81.134.23: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=247

Ping statistics for 63.81.134.23:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 16ms, Average = 15ms
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    EriktankEriktank Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    When I do a normal ping to hera.smugmug.com (multiple times at random today) each time it was over 500ms... that's from a dedicated T1 connection with no traffic on it either... as well as from home on a 8mbps cable line... pings to google simulataneously were 16ms flat from the T1.

Sure that's not a tracert, but we know where the problem lies... can we get speed back please? I've actually had a comment in my guestbook from someone who thought my site was down a few days ago... I'm definately not going to get business with a slow site - speed is everything, features come NEXT. :)

(I enjoy all the features and innovation at smugmug, but speed remains my utmost priority - so I don't want to harp too badly, as I love the improvements - just wish some of my suggestions would get some focus too) hehe... thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    On a side note... I can't seem to get to my website at all for the past half hour... IF I try to go to my domain name account (http://www.tanksdigitaleffects.com)... but if I try the http://eriktank.smugmug.com way - it seems much more speedy on the initial finding of the page... and I can then (slowly) navigate to other pages as well...

The today's most popular page is extremely slow - and the few pages I got to open of other smugmugian accounts are slow as well... so I don't think it's a piece of code on my end (though I haven't changed anything in a month or so now, it never hurts to make sure there's nothing I can do)...

Help!
  • Options
    Jason DunnJason Dunn Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    It's brutally slow here at 11 am on the 12th...I did a tracert and it was sub 60 ms all the way to my site, and only 11 hops (which evidently is on hera.smugmug.com - Greek god server naming? Cool!).

It took a good 90 seconds to add 148 images to my cart (using the bulk add tool), and changing the first image to be a 4x6 lustre print and replicating that change to all the other images has resulted in over 5 minutes of "waiting for smugmug"...which is baffling because it should be a client-side Javascript menu change, not something that requires input from the Smugmug server. I stopped and re-started the process and waited for quite a while, then it bombed out with a "connection reset" error. So that seems to mean that people can't order prints at all if they make any changes. That's very bad.

So...any hope this will improve today?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    The Photos: photos.jasondunn.com
    The Blog: www.jasondunn.com
  • Options
    BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    Slow here in Seattle. Got complaints all weekend at the race track that the site was slow or not coming up at all from the racers too
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    FYI: down to a crawl for me too.... actually, I am typing this while waiting for my smugmug home page to load.... oh there, it is done now. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Lou GonzalezLou Gonzalez Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    Eek!
    Embarassingly slow. Really.

I'm seriously afraid to send customers to my site. This is a real issue for me as I have up to 25-50 unique visitors visit my site daily and if the images don't load - that directly impacts my bottom line!

This slowness has got to stop or i'll be forced to move elsewhere. That's not a threat - just a means of staying in business. ne_nau.gif

I agree with the recent post - too many changes and too many upgrades too quickly.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Slowness continues today (for me and all the other posters in this thread). It is now afflicting main image display and even browsing my galleries is sometimes really, really slow. We're talking 60 seconds just to show the thumbs and even longer for the main image to show up. I've also seen it fast today so it's very inconsistent. I don't see anything unusual in the tracert:

P:\>tracert friend.smugmug.com

Tracing route to friend.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 12 ms 12 ms 13 ms adsl-xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
    3 12 ms 13 ms 12 ms dist2-vlan60.snfc21.pbi.net [216.102.187.131]
    4 12 ms 13 ms 13 ms bb2-10g2-0.snfcca.sbcglobal.net [216.102.176.226]
    5 13 ms 15 ms 14 ms ex1-p14-0.eqsjca.sbcglobal.net [151.164.41.10]
    6 24 ms 23 ms 25 ms ge3-17-1000M.ar2.SJC2.gblx.net [64.212.107.29]
    7 14 ms 14 ms 15 ms SMUGMUG.gigabitethernet3-35.ar2.SJC2.gblx.net [64.214.196.246]
    8 16 ms 16 ms 15 ms hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]

Trace complete.

I'm a bit surprised that with this many people reporting an issue there's been no other response from Smugmug today. Do you think you're having an issue? Or do you think that nothing is wrong at the Smugmug end and we're all living through some internet problem?

I just posted 500+ photos in 18 galleries for the soccer team parents so I'm really bummed that they are seeing the galleries at their worst. It does make me wonder about finding a place to host the photos that has more consistent performance.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    GKPGKP Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    Been slow for me all day
    In fact there have been patches of slowness since the last patch/maintenance :(

Mainly on the control panel coming up. But I had a client yesterday tell me "yeah I see the galleries, but there are no pictures coming up just blank boxes".

Hope you guys find the problem and squish it :I

-Greg
  • Options
    DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    Embarassingly slow. Really.

I'm seriously afraid to send customers to my site. This is a real issue for me as I have up to 25-50 unique visitors visit my site daily and if the images don't load - that directly impacts my bottom line!

This slowness has got to stop or i'll be forced to move elsewhere. That's not a threat - just a means of staying in business. ne_nau.gif

I agree with the recent post - too many changes and too many upgrades too quickly.

Part of the problem here is that when the casual users experience slow sites that indeed are SLOW today, many times you can move on and wait until a latter time for the site to speed up. Users such as Lou, jfriend myself and many others cannot afford to have this happen as often as it has been. I am like Lou, I can't afford to have people experience these issues, they won't be back. On line sales is a difficult enough model to deal with without the site causing headaches and lost sales as well.

Honestly Smugmug have you EVER had a period where the complaining has been where it is now? I only have around 100 responses next to my name but I have been around since 2005. Never had the need to register on Dgrin because nothing really happened. The site sailed along with rarely a glitch. The last six months on the other hand......just look at the last week.
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    Lou GonzalezLou Gonzalez Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    Wow!
    And not even a confirmation or response to this "slowness report" since yesterday morning! eek7.gif

You know how many customers could have potentially come to my site to view my work only to find my site at a crawl? Man that burns me up. That slowness can literally cost me potential customers and thousands of dollars. I'm really surprised at the lack of reponse to this. And when I say response - I mean acting on the problem.

The last few months have been a rollercoaster ride. I guess SmugMug's never heard of "burn in". That's when you implement a change or add a new feature and let it ride for a while before adding something else new. In the IT world you always let a server (or whatever) settle in before adding or changing something on it again. So if there's a problem, you know what's causing it versus adding two or three new things and wondering what's really causing the problem.

SM should implement a procedure that states no more than 1 change every three months. Stagger them, let them burn in, and when you're sure everything is running fine - then move on to the next item. Basic common sense stuff.ne_nau.gif

Or they should let Pro account users choose which features / upgrades they want to have (maybe add an activate or deactivate capability) instead of forcing us to move and adjust with every revision. Kinda like software... give me the option to run the current version or receive the new update.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    C:\Windows>tracert hera.smugmug.com
    Tracing route to hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]
    1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms cipafilter.emsd37.org [10.10.0.1]
    2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 209.7.177.1
    3 4 ms 3 ms 3 ms 77.128.175.209.rtc5.illinois.net [209.175.128.77]
    4 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms 249.7.166.206.rtc5.illinois.net [206.166.7.249]
    5 12 ms 12 ms 14 ms atm-5-0-0-6-moline-core-rockford-core.rockford.lincon.net [206.166.9.190]
    6 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms atm-1-1-0-sub05-rockford-core-dekalb-core.dekalb.lincon.net [206.166.9.106]
    7 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms 206.166.9.25
    8 12 ms 12 ms 13 ms pos-5-0-nap-sob1-nap-sob2.chicago.lincon.net [206.166.9.122]
    9 12 ms 12 ms 11 ms 206.166.126.14
    10 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms rt1ec-equinix.il.shawcable.net [206.223.119.20]
    11 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms rd1ec-ge0-0-0.il.shawcable.net [66.163.65.17]
    12 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms rc1ch-pos5-0.il.shawcable.net [66.163.65.9]
    13 73 ms 73 ms 73 ms rc2sj-pos0-0.cl.shawcable.net [66.163.77.74]
    14 77 ms 73 ms 73 ms pri.r1-ge0-2-eq-sj.smugmug.com [206.223.117.70]
    15 75 ms 75 ms 75 ms hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]
    Trace complete.

Hope this helps......
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    And not even a confirmation or response to this "slowness report" since yesterday morning! eek7.gif
    Really? I posted.
    You know how many customers could have potentially come to my site to view my work only to find my site at a crawl? Man that burns me up. That slowness can literally cost me potential customers and thousands of dollars. I'm really surprised at the lack of reponse to this. And when I say response - I mean acting on the problem.
    I've been hitting your site off and on today, no problems, quite fast. Sometimes these are local connectivity issues. But I do know that our Ops guys are also working on some improvements to the site for some folks who are reporting slowness - there is A LOT of work going on, sorry that we didn't post directly to you until just now, Lou.
  • Options
    shahkwaveshahkwave Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    Slow response for me too
    I'm experiencing the slowness with my site (karamorris.smugmug.com) as well. Not only with viewing, but also uploading. I was using Star Explorer for the upload and had it set up to run since 10 pm last night. Amazingly, I can get to other sites on the net with no problem, but in the 18 hour timespan, I think I was able to upload maybe 30 pictures. Normally I can upload about 100 within 12 hours. I sent in a request with the tracert to help@smugmug.com and am hoping to hear good news about a fix coming soon. I haven't changed anything in the past week with any customizations....just trying to upload a whole lot of photos from a horse show this weekend as I have customers waiting to order. Help please!

Thanks!
    Kara

karamorris.smugmug.com
    horseeventphotography.com
  • Options
    flyingpointflyingpoint Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    Ditto On the Slowness
    Very, very, very slow here. Just getting the forum reply form up took over ten seconds.

I've been trying for two days to get 90 graduation shots up without much luck.

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to speed things up.
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    just adding data points for smugmug folks.... just tested my site at 10:30pm california time.... still dragging not as bad as earlier, but still not its usual snappiness.

It is not my connection, I would know, I'm a browsing junkie... smugmug is dragging...1drink.gif
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Really? I posted.

I've been hitting your site off and on today, no problems, quite fast. Sometimes these are local connectivity issues. But I do know that our Ops guys are also working on some improvements to the site for some folks who are reporting slowness - there is A LOT of work going on, sorry that we didn't post directly to you until just now, Lou.

I don't know how to explain that to my customers though...oh no it's not my gallery site that is the problem it's your connectivity...and they reply with well all other websites are fine and I have no problem with browsing the web other than your gallery.rolleyes1.gifeek7.gif

Taking an hour to upload 10-15 high res jpegs this is not performance...this is my absolute busiest time of the year...I am getting email after email that I am responding to....no don't order yet, there are many more photos to come from that show....all I have to do is put them in the galleryrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Jason DunnJason Dunn Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Things are definitely faster today than they were yesterday - I can click through images in my gallery much faster and everything is snappier.

While I'm sure there was a Smugmug-specific problem here the past few days, many sites have felt sluggish for me over the past two months - I'm wondering if there haven't been some large scale back-end changes to some of the major peering points many of us go through and speed has been compromised all over the place.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    The Photos: photos.jasondunn.com
    The Blog: www.jasondunn.com
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2007
    Jason - where do you live? I reside in IL - and all my other normal sites are nice and snappy still... just smugmug has been meeting resistance with me the past month or so... the past week or two it has been really bad though :(
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Eriktank wrote:
    Jason - where do you live? I reside in IL - and all my other normal sites are nice and snappy still... just smugmug has been meeting resistance with me the past month or so... the past week or two it has been really bad though :(
    Yeah, I have to agree. It seems like when I mention slowness on this forum, I'm told it's due to Comcast, not Smugmug. Okay, I'm no defender of comcast... but then I'll run into the same problems on a T-1 connection at work (and that's not comcast). Then I'll frequently see people from all over the country (and world) posting with similar problems-- and they're only having probs with smugmug.

I've noticed lately there's a much longer delay when creating galleries or doing stuff like zooming thumbs. Arranging photos is hit or miss-- after I arrange them, it often doesn't take and I have to do it all over again. Same thing when I delete photos-- it often doesn't take and I have to do it three or four times.

Processing times after uploading also seem much slower recently to me and I FREQUENTLY have trouble getting into my control panel.

And... checking statcounter is another good indicator for me. I usually average over 100 unique hits a day... then there will be the days when I get 19 hits headscratch.gif... yes, that could just be me and no one checking my site, but it tends to happen on the same days people are complaining about connectivity or slowness issues.

Just my observations, anyway. I also use pbase and though they're not known for good service, lately it's been a lot faster and more consistent than SM. I know, I know... just wait until the pbase crew is at Burning Man this September... :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    chaberlackchaberlack Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Mine in very slow. Not my connection either. Everything running very fast but smugmug. Last week couldn't log onto my site, now I can't look at or post images without significant delays. Glad I don't use smugmug for a photo business, I wouldn't be a happy camper.