Options

12 from recent wedding

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited June 13, 2007 in Weddings
my first with the 17-55 IS...that lens rocks!!!

A very fun couple and I just loved their hip, urban (who me??) setting.

160866210-L-1.jpg

157965778-L-1.jpg

160867290-L-1.jpg

4. (she was such a flirt!)
161577312-L-1.jpg

5. the organ was dead center in the balcony, which meant I could not shoot from dead center :( but still wanted to share that this was handheld, no flash...:D
161573901-L-1.jpg

160873612-L-1.jpg

157955607-L-2.jpg

157957551-L-1.jpg

9. (yes they wanted lots of BWs) :)
157944732-L-1.jpg

158013802-L-1.jpg

11. cake shots don't usually do it for me....but again...handheld at 1/15 no flash.
157948182-L-1.jpg

12. now that lens is just showing off.....:roflI LOVE IMAGE STABILIZATION! (thanks Scott for convincing me to starve in order to get it!)
158047375-L-1.jpg

Thanks for looking! (Yes the bride is pg...in case you were wondering. They set the date before the rabbit bit the dust! :)
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    OMG! Lynne, these are phenomenal!!! I was going to comment on my faves, but since I love ALL of them, I feel dumb doing it. Laughing.gif!

Showing off indeed. Wonderful photos - they'll be extremely pleased, I'm sure! clap.gif
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    Very nice set! I love the little guy peeking in. Right place, right time.
    I'm sure they will be very happy with your work.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    Congrats on the new lens! Your shots are great! The bride looks so serene and relaxed in all the photos. Love the shots of the kids, especially the little boy looking through the glass. I like the urban setting, too. Nice that they wanted lots of B&W (No skin tones to fuss over!!!). Thanks for sharing these....hope you share more!
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    I have to shoot a wedding in August and was thinking about buying the 85 F1.8. Is this lens very usefull at weddings. I already have a 28-75mm F2.8 Tamron and the 50mm F1.8 Canon lense. I am just worried that the Tamron won't give me enough speed,,, and I know the 85mm will kill ithe Tamron dead on sharpness. Also don't know if the 50 will be long enough.

I like your style, and the photos are all done well, but my favorite is...The bride with....I assume her father, and after that I would choose the shot taken through the gate. Awesome.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I have to shoot a wedding in August and was thinking about buying the 85 F1.8. Is this lens very usefull at weddings. I already have a 28-75mm F2.8 Tamron and the 50mm F1.8 Canon lense. I am just worried that the Tamron won't give me enough speed,,, and I know the 85mm will kill ithe Tamron dead on sharpness. Also don't know if the 50 will be long enough.
    I don't know what body you're using but you might find 28mm too long for group shots?

4, 9 and 10 were all taken w/ the 85mm 1.8. It is a sharp little lens. I shot with the 17-55 on one body and the 85mm on another. I reach for it more than the 70-200 2.8 because its much lighter and faster, for times I don't want to use flash. But the focal length is restrictive sometimes. If my wide angle zoom went to 75mm, 85mm wouldn't be that useful.
    I like your style, and the photos are all done well, but my favorite is...The bride with....I assume her father, and after that I would choose the shot taken through the gate. Awesome.
    Thanks!!! Its always interesting to hear which shots resonate. I'm still developing my style, for sure. I was wondering about the gate shot so I'm glad you dig it! thanks for commenting

lynne
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    OMG! Lynne, these are phenomenal!!! I was going to comment on my faves, but since I love ALL of them, I feel dumb doing it. Laughing.gif!

Showing off indeed. Wonderful photos - they'll be extremely pleased, I'm sure! clap.gif

you're so silly.....thanks for commenting Andi, you have definitely helped me hone my skills, so thanks!!! (can't wait to see shots from your upcoming wedding!)
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Congrats on the new lens! Your shots are great! The bride looks so serene and relaxed in all the photos. Love the shots of the kids, especially the little boy looking through the glass. I like the urban setting, too. Nice that they wanted lots of B&W (No skin tones to fuss over!!!). Thanks for sharing these....hope you share more!

thanks Susan! I am definitely still learning about color correction regarding skin tones; it seems the more I learn, the farther I get from satisfaction. Ignorance was certainly bliss!!!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    Very nice set! I love the little guy peeking in. Right place, right time.
    I'm sure they will be very happy with your work.
    thanks, neighbor!!! mwink.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    These are great.

1 - This is just amazing. I love the light on the dress. Very cool.
    2 - This is image is just too good for words! Did you do some skin treatment? If not, then she has wonderful skin.
    7 - The emotion here is just great!
    10 - Still not my favorite, but seeing it again, I think it's starting to grow on me!

Sorry you had to starve to be able to buy the lens, but I'm really happy that you are so pleased with the lens. These are some amazing photographs.
    I shoot most weddings with just the 17-55 and the 70-200 f/2.8 IS. I found the Tammy AF to be hit or miss in darker environs (like the reception). The 50 f/1.8 AF is also problematic in darker settings.

Like Lynne has already noted, I fear the 28 will not be wide enough for some of the "gotta have" shots, especially on a 1.6 crop body.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    Lynne,
    Great series, thanks for sharing! thumb.gif

Great to hear the 17-55 worked OK for you, I'm going to give my recently acquired copy its first wedding whurl in a couple of weeks. mwink.gif

Cheers! 1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    thanks Susan! I am definitely still learning about color correction regarding skin tones; it seems the more I learn, the farther I get from satisfaction. Ignorance was certainly bliss!!!
    The more you learn, the more critical you are of your own work. Remember the results I got from my last wedding? Same thing.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    I don't know what body you're using but you might find 28mm too long for group shots?

4, 9 and 10 were all taken w/ the 85mm 1.8. It is a sharp little lens. I shot with the 17-55 on one body and the 85mm on another. I reach for it more than the 70-200 2.8 because its much lighter and faster, for times I don't want to use flash. But the focal length is restrictive sometimes. If my wide angle zoom went to 75mm, 85mm wouldn't be that useful.

Thanks!!! Its always interesting to hear which shots resonate. I'm still developing my style, for sure. I was wondering about the gate shot so I'm glad you dig it! thanks for commenting

lynne

I am in the same boat as you with developing "my style". I have to say I am very nervous about the whole wedding idea. I think I may buy the 85mm. I would like to have it for senior portraits and indoor sports anyway....I have just been putting off the purchase.

I really enjoy the photos you p[ost in this forum, and these are up to expectations. Thank you for pointing out a few taken with the lens in question. AS for that new IS zoom you got....it is beyond my budget at the present time, but I borrowed a first generation IS zoom....75-300mm....from someone for a day trip and was sold on IS completely. I was able to get 1/30 sec shots ....sharp ones.....at 300mm on a monopod. Blew my mind!!!

Congradulations, and thank you
    Jeff
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I have to say I am very nervous about the whole wedding idea.
    I think I read in another thread that you're assisting/shadowing another professional for your first wedding(s). that in my experience is the single best thing you can do to increase your confidence. You can still develop your own style while learning flow, prioritizing, technique, people skills on the big day from the veteran.
    I really enjoy the photos you p[ost in this forum, and these are up to expectations.

I am humbled by your compliment! Thanks so much for your feedback. I have learned SOOO much from fellow dgrinners and am completely indebted to this forum. One day I'm going to get found out! rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    I am humbled by your compliment! Thanks so much for your feedback. I have learned SOOO much from fellow dgrinners and am completely indebted to this forum. One day I'm going to get found out! rolleyes1.gif
    More likely, "Discovered!"thumb.gif
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    Wow...beautiful.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    Lovely pics from 1 to 12! I like #10 and how it ties them together. 1 and 7 I love.

Only thing that distracted my eye from the subject of wedding is #6; blue cast? Circ Polarizer for window glare?
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited June 12, 2007
    I rather like that last one. I don't know why. Perhaps it is the intimate nature of the backyard vs. the big city? Or perhaps the warm light of the yard against the cold blue light of the city?

Regardless, I like it.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Hi - Great job !!
    Love #4, #7, #11
    I would also agree - that lens rocks - a must have !!!
    Keep up the great work :) jr