Options

iPhoto 4 question?

ppugappuga Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
edited February 6, 2005 in Finishing School
Hello everyone, I have a BIG DOUBT regarding to iPhoto 4 image organization inside the iPhoto Library.

First of all, I use MAC OS X 10.3.7, and iPhoto 4.

I download all my pictures from the CF card directly with a CF Reader, I like to make folders for each thing or date, so I make them, then copy my pictures from the CF to that folder. I prefer doing it this way, so I have my photos arranged my way in the hard disk, and in different places and folders of different clients or events.

Almost all the time I use Photoshop CS to edit my pictures, but for viewing my photos I like iPhoto a lot, because of the Slideshow, dot mac and smugmug connectivity, and easy and fast way to view and organize all the photos inside the software.

My doubt and question is:

Is there any way to use iPhoto, but making that your files aren't copied to the iPhoto Library?

I REALLY HATE THAT. Because I don't like my files been archived in the iPhoto folder, inside a year folder, then a number of folders with the month number, then a folder with the day number, etc. Making this way my files double the space in the disk and memory.

It will be great that the ALBUMS I make in iPhoto are the same albums/folders i have at my desktop (or anywhere else in my hard disk) and vice versa. And not that cronological order it makes.

Is there any way? Or may be stop using iPhoto is the better one jeje

Any other software you can recommend me (for mac)? similar to iPhoto, but with capabilities of making this kind of things?

Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2005
    Try iView Media Pro if iPhoto doesn't cut it for you.

The new iPhoto (5) allows you to create nested folders w/in the iPhoto album structure, which is cool. If you're trying to use iPhoto to organize your pictures, the best thing to do is forget about the file structure, and essentially do all your organizing in iPhoto. That's what it's meant for. You're not meant to go find your pictures through the finder.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    gregneil wrote:
    Try iView Media Pro

Thanks, I will look for this software and try it.

clap.gif
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    Another vote for iView Media Pro.

Dave
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    I use iVMP as well. The regular iView Media may work for you and is much cheaper. iPhoto 5 still takes control of your images when you import them.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    Another vote for iView Media Pro.

Dave

And another.

Just make sure you back up your library often. Right, fish?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    And another.

Just make sure you back up your library often. Right, fish?
    nod.gif backup and save, backup and save, backup and save.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    I just download the tryout version of iVMP and its very cool! Thanks, I think I will buy it later.

This is exactly what I was looking for! thanks!!!

clap.gifclap.gif