Options

May trip to Florence/Tuscany/Rome

LouwPhotographyLouwPhotography Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited June 20, 2007 in Journeys
After seeing everyone else's photos, I'm inspired to post mine. We visited Florence, Tuscany and Rome in early May. We're still pretty new to photography -- we just got serious last year.

Below is a selection of photos. Many more can be seen at http://www.LouwPhotography.com/Italy

Our first day in Florence was filled with art museums. I took this picture of the River Arno at 8:30am as we were heading to the Uffizi Gallery.
153707165-M-1.jpg

Once inside the Uffizi Gallery, I spotted this view of the Ponte Vecchio. You are not allowed to take pictures inside the Uffizi Gallery, but shots through the window seemed to be okay.
153707200-M-1.jpg

The next day we visited the magnificent Duomo. We climbed up 400 steps to get this view of the Duomo and Florence!
153708306-M-1.jpg

We also took a day trip to Tuscany.
153706360-M-1.jpg

After Florence we took the train to Rome. Our hotel was near the Coliseum.
153706591-M-1.jpg

The next day, we headed to Vatican City bright and early to avoid the crowds. This shot is inside St. Peter's Basilica.
153706652-M-1.jpg

I had no idea how extensive the Vatican Museums are. This room is the Gallery of Maps.
153706717-M-1.jpg

Our last day in Rome, we had a lot of fun shooting fruits and vegetables at the Campo dei Fiori.
153708177-M-1.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the Italy pics. Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    I have to say - these two images are simply fabulous. Such wonderful compositions. The lampost in the first one makes the whole image. The wonderful perspective with the arching curve at the top of the second image make it unique and captivating. Wish I had taken them!clap.gif

153707165-M-1.jpg

153706652-M-1.jpg

• Options
    gfxartistgfxartist Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    Thanks for sharing! We took a Mediterranean Cruise last year with stops in Florence and Rome. Your images bring back great memories. And it's so nice to see the Coliseum and St. Peter's Basilica w/out the crowds. I wasn't as fortunate, as we had guided tours in the middle of the day. I only had time for quick snapshots before losing our guide in the crowds.

This photo of the Uffizi is one of my favorites from our trip: http://gfxartist.smugmug.com/gallery/1518727#76685651-L-LB

And your photos of the acqua alta in Venice are just crazy. I can't imagine all those people trying to get around on the makeshift boardwalks.

Looks like a great trip!
    ~Laurie~

Canon: 5d Mk III, 5d Mk II, 50d, 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 35/1.4, 70-200/2.8 II, 17-40/4, 24-70/2.8, 100 2.8 macro
    Laurie Bracewell Photography
  • Options
    LouwPhotographyLouwPhotography Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    Swintonphoto, thanks for the kind comments! That Basilica shot was a real stroke of luck -- it was taken blindly from the top of the dome.

gfxartist, I love your Uffizi shot. We saw that shot as well, but unfortunately the left building was covered in scaffolding at the end, which besides looking ugly in general also filled up the sky space next to the Palazzo Vecchio, which is key. I was rather disappointed we couldn't get that shot.

Venice was a great city -- that trip was in 2004. We would love to go back for better shots now that we have DSLRs and have read up on photography basics!
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    Postcard perfect!
    These are all wonderful shots. I've been to those places and I know how hard it is to get the right light and avoid shooting the backs of people's heads, etc. The shot of the Ponte Vechio is wonderful. I love the repetition of bridges and the reflection. As I said, each one is postcard perfect. Nice job. thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    S. HortonS. Horton Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    Wow, wow, wow.

Excellent b/w conversion, any comment I'd make would be irrelevant on your level. Thx for posting, really enjoyed them!