Options

Astrophotography

farfromthesunfarfromthesun Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited June 21, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
Anyone here into imaging the night sky?
I'm at a failry remedial level - it's a massive challenge.
I've a couple of images, such as those below - has anyoe else on dgrin attempted this?

Lunar Eclipse ( + some stars in Leo):

150440168-M.jpg

Jupiter:

149645097-M.jpg

The Southern Cross:

149645664-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bigpixbigpix Registered Users Posts: 371 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    These are just fantastic.....clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Cheers...... Big Pix
    Lake Macquarie NSW Australia
    www.bigpix.smugmug.com
    Please do not EDIT
    my Images
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    Anyone here into imaging the night sky?
    I'm at a failry remedial level - it's a massive challenge.
    I've a couple of images, such as those below - has anyoe else on dgrin attempted this?

Lunar Eclipse ( + some stars in Leo):
    Jupiter:
    The Southern Cross:

These look great, especially the first one clap.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    Certainly interesting photos...the southern cross in the higher northern hemisphere though headscratch.gif Did you get that from the UK ?
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    Thesse are great shots, i tried photographing moon, well, you really don't wanna see it rolleyes1.gif Very well done!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    Great images.clap.gif

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    Very nice! I always wanted to see the southern cross in person.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2007
    Thanks a lot for your comments!

re: the southern cross - I got that when I was in Sri Lanka 6 weeks ago. I took a LOT of optical equipment (including a telescope!) with me. Both of the shots (SC and Jupiter) were taken straight off the tripod with the kit lens on my 400d. Exposure was around 35 - 45 seconds - you cannot go beyond this because of the earths rotation, unless you have a guided telescope mount. Then things get very tricky!
    To put into perspective my humble offerings, take a look at this image (NOT by me): http://www.astrosurf.com/lorenzi/images/SouthernCross.jpg (too big to post here).

The great thing about guided astrophotography is that you can basically see more in a photograph than you can with your eyes at the telescope eyepiece. Your eyes can only let in a certain amount of light at any given moment, but a guided camera can theoretically receive light for hours, and this all registers on the camera sensor, and when processed reveals details that simply cannot be seen in any other way. Multiple images taken at different settings can also be "stacked" to create an even more detailed image. This is an absolutely fantastic example (total exposure time of 17 hours over 6 days = again NOT by me): http://www.poigetdigitalpics.com/imagesccd/M51LRGB_NaturalBEST_CN800600.jpg

re: the moon - this was taken with a 200 mm zoom, and cropped, as part of this project (which I was "over the moon" about considering it was my first attempt at anything serious in astrophotography):

Lunar_Eclipse_Collage_by_farfromthesun.jpg

I'd encourage anyone (with an slr) to give some basic shots a go - just point it up and bulb it for 35 seconds or so (on manual focus) and see what happens! Those blessed with clear skies and great viewing conditions (eg: undisturbed by light pollution) are doubly encouraged!

Thanks again, Ryan.
  • Options
    ScraffScraff Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    They are some Awesome pics! Can you please tell me what gear as well as what setting were used for the shots?
    Thanks...Scott
  • Options
    SerratorSerrator Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    Stellar shots!:D

I really like the first one as well.

Ryan...check out kiwi's astro pics on this gallery, especially the Milky Way shots:
    http://www.kiwipo.1020.photoshare.co.nz/
    My Photo Playground:
    www.flickr.com/photos/serrator
  • Options
    ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    great shots!
    Great shots!

I highly recommend the book Astrophotography for the Amateur by Michael Convington. I used that as a 'textbook' for an astrophotography lab/class I teach/taught. It covers many basic topics (including camera equipment, tracking, telescopes) and how to best photograph types of astronomical objects and constellations. It's a good guide for bracketing, knowing how much 'apparent still time' you have for your f-stop, taking into consideration what kind of lens you are using (telephoto has slightly different rules than wide angle), your ISO setting, and other factors like 'where' your intended object/area is (objects move slower nearer the pole star and faster nearer the celestial equator). It's really a fabulous guide!

In addition, if you really get into it (or even if you don't and you want to play around with astronomical image data from research telescopes) ---

check this out:

http://www.spacetelescope.org/projects/fits_liberator/

:) Adrienne
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    Wonderful work ! clap.gif
    Just amazing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Wow, those are great and so inspirational! I would love to try something like that.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2007
    Scraff wrote:
    They are some Awesome pics! Can you please tell me what gear as well as what setting were used for the shots?
    Thanks...Scott

Cheers Scott. As I mentioned above, it's a Canon 400d with the kit lens for the 2nd and 3rd ones, just using a tripod. Here are the EXIF details: http://farfromthesun.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=149645097 & http://farfromthesun.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=149645664

It's preferable to use a remote control or cable release, but when I was doing these one of the batteries somehow managed to fall out of my radio control thingy and consequently was lost on a pitch black beach. To get around it I just used the timer instead.

For the moon, again, it was on the tripod but with my 200mm zoom. Then I cropped it to fit the moon and the stars you can see (they were "artefacts" of the picture - because the sky was so dark at this stage of the eclipse, I had to extend the exposure time by quite a lot compared to the brighter images.) Exif: http://farfromthesun.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=150440168

Hope this is of use, Scott.
    Serrator wrote:
    Stellar shots!:D

I really like the first one as well.

Ryan...check out kiwi's astro pics on this gallery, especially the Milky Way shots:
    http://www.kiwipo.1020.photoshare.co.nz/

They're very cool. I was hoping I might get the chance to get at the Milky Way but I either couldn't see it, or am even more remedial than I first thought. rolleyes1.gif
    ajgauthier wrote:
    Great shots!

I highly recommend the book Astrophotography for the Amateur by Michael Convington. I used that as a 'textbook' for an astrophotography lab/class I teach/taught. It covers many basic topics (including camera equipment, tracking, telescopes) and how to best photograph types of astronomical objects and constellations. It's a good guide for bracketing, knowing how much 'apparent still time' you have for your f-stop, taking into consideration what kind of lens you are using (telephoto has slightly different rules than wide angle), your ISO setting, and other factors like 'where' your intended object/area is (objects move slower nearer the pole star and faster nearer the celestial equator). It's really a fabulous guide!

In addition, if you really get into it (or even if you don't and you want to play around with astronomical image data from research telescopes) ---

check this out:

http://www.spacetelescope.org/projects/fits_liberator/

:) Adrienne

Thanks Adrienne! That's a super resource - just downloaded it now. More software that I will take for ever to learn, to throw into my pot.
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    Wow, those are great and so inspirational! I would love to try something like that.

Go for it Jan! Is it dark where you live?

Here's a couple more:

Complete "luck" - not the greatest from an optical point of view but interesting none the less (for me at least). Doubly lucky considering aforementioned battery loss was still in effect and this was caught with a 10 second timer! Venus is top left.

154359423-M.jpg

And, as I have a moon addiction:

150371053-M.jpg

Thanks guys, post your attempts up if you get the chance! Ryan
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2007
    Milky Way
    You said, "They're very cool. I was hoping I might get the chance to get at the Milky Way but I either couldn't see it, or am even more remedial than I first thought."

It depends when you are out, but you'll need very dark sky to get a good Milky Way shot since it's going to be a long exposure. Start with 30 seconds, then repeat the shot and work your way up to 3 minutes using 10 second intervals. Yup...that's a lot of shots :) But...you don't want to get home and be like, "DARN! If I had shaved just 10 seconds off this shot I wouldn't have gotten bad star trails!"

If you don't have a star map, try here:

http://skymaps.com/ Follow the link for Download Now in the middle of the page.

This guys maps show the Milky Way.

The center of the Milky Way (what you saw in those gal's shots someone else linked to) is in Sagittarius. Point your camera that way and open it up all the way.

Another great slice of the Milky Way is through the Summer Triangle (Vega, Deneb, Altair) when it's overhead...so that's like midnight right now. If you have a wide enough lens, you'll be able to get M31 in the shot too.

Good luck! I always encourage people to bring their laptop out with them to quickly download and view photos to make adjustments to the technique as needed.

If you really get into this...you can make yourself a barn-door tracking tripod setup which tracks the Earth's rotation and you can stay on a constellation or deep sky object without blurriness or star trails...or they sell these sort of tracking mounts for a coupla hundred dollars.

Adrienne clap.gif
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2007
    ajgauthier wrote:
    You said, "They're very cool. I was hoping I might get the chance to get at the Milky Way but I either couldn't see it, or am even more remedial than I first thought."

It depends when you are out, but you'll need very dark sky to get a good Milky Way shot since it's going to be a long exposure. Start with 30 seconds, then repeat the shot and work your way up to 3 minutes using 10 second intervals. Yup...that's a lot of shots :) But...you don't want to get home and be like, "DARN! If I had shaved just 10 seconds off this shot I wouldn't have gotten bad star trails!"

If you don't have a star map, try here:

http://skymaps.com/ Follow the link for Download Now in the middle of the page.

This guys maps show the Milky Way.

The center of the Milky Way (what you saw in those gal's shots someone else linked to) is in Sagittarius. Point your camera that way and open it up all the way.

Another great slice of the Milky Way is through the Summer Triangle (Vega, Deneb, Altair) when it's overhead...so that's like midnight right now. If you have a wide enough lens, you'll be able to get M31 in the shot too.

Good luck! I always encourage people to bring their laptop out with them to quickly download and view photos to make adjustments to the technique as needed.

If you really get into this...you can make yourself a barn-door tracking tripod setup which tracks the Earth's rotation and you can stay on a constellation or deep sky object without blurriness or star trails...or they sell these sort of tracking mounts for a coupla hundred dollars.

Adrienne clap.gif

Hi Adrienne, thanks for your reply! I have 4 telescopes, 2 of which have guided mounts but I'm still working my way towards using them in conjunction with a camera. I'd like to learn more and practice more before attempting more complex shots - I do have all the necessary adaptors for the camera / eyepiece, so could go at any time....except that I live in London, and it's very light polluted. The planets may be an option from my back garden, but for other objects I will have to get out in to the countryside. When I was in Asia (the only realistic time that I would have been under dark enough skies to see the milky way) it was full moon time, so I had no chance. I was there before when the moon was much less bright, and there was much, much more visible, including the milky way. At that time, I only had a point and shoot which would not have been capable of getting a good shot.

As for sky maps - I use stellarium which is awesome, and occasionally employ the rotating star charts. But usually my laptop is out there with me so stellarium is definately my number one choice. It's also great for going back to the sky that you were photographing / observing, and identifying which objects you've managed to catch, like this: http://farfromthesun.smugmug.com/gallery/2807601#149645097

Thanks! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2007
    Hi Adrienne, thanks for your reply! I have 4 telescopes, 2 of which have guided mounts but I'm still working my way towards using them in conjunction with a camera. I'd like to learn more and practice more before attempting more complex shots - I do have all the necessary adaptors for the camera / eyepiece, so could go at any time....except that I live in London, and it's very light polluted. The planets may be an option from my back garden, but for other objects I will have to get out in to the countryside. When I was in Asia (the only realistic time that I would have been under dark enough skies to see the milky way) it was full moon time, so I had no chance. I was there before when the moon was much less bright, and there was much, much more visible, including the milky way. At that time, I only had a point and shoot which would not have been capable of getting a good shot.

As for sky maps - I use stellarium which is awesome, and occasionally employ the rotating star charts. But usually my laptop is out there with me so stellarium is definately my number one choice. It's also great for going back to the sky that you were photographing / observing, and identifying which objects you've managed to catch, like this: http://farfromthesun.smugmug.com/gallery/2807601#149645097

Thanks! thumb.gif

Stellarium is a good program. I have access to Starry Night Pro so I use that most of the time. I wasn't sure your 'level of astronomy' when you've been posting so I just referenced a quicky star chart.

As per your question in the Awais' thread --- I used to do astrophotography all the time, but once I moved to AZ I didn't have the local resources. This was pre-digital camera for me, all film...had a film processor "all trained" at the local Ritz camera on how to develop properly. I also taught astrophotography labs at the Univ of VA, where undergrads would go out with SLRs and fast lenses to capture the night sky up atop our mountain observatory. It was fun, I miss it :(

I haven't been able to get anyone to go out with me into the desert to do astrophotography here in AZ...I won't go out alone as it's too dangerous.

Adrienne
  • Options
    ScraffScraff Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    Thanks for the info Ryan....I got out with my camera last night and tried my hand at a few moon shots and I got one that I like....tell me what you think. The only mod I did in Photoshop was to crop the picture to get some of the black out....
    Thanks....Scott