Options

Moon Pic

ScraffScraff Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
edited June 22, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
I have been reading a bunch of posts and sites on how to take night time photos and I had a clear night last night to try to take some pics of the moon. I wish it was a full moon, but I like the shodowing effects....please let me know what you think.
Thanks....Scott

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    Nice photo
    You are used self timer or remote for this photo ? looks blured
    and littel overexposed
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    Scraff wrote:
    I have been reading a bunch of posts and sites on how to take night time photos and I had a clear night last night to try to take some pics of the moon. I wish it was a full moon, but I like the shodowing effects....please let me know what you think.
    Thanks....Scott

Hi Scott, I like what you've tried to do here, however the image is not clear.... looks slightly out of focus.

The shape of the moon looks great, and the shadow too,
    sharpness is what is lacking in this image.

Great effort clap.gif thanks for sharing....... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    ScraffScraff Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    Nice photo
    You are used self timer or remote for this photo ? looks blured
    and littel overexposed

I used a remote for this pic. I saw that it came out a little blured...I tried to manually focus and tried a few different setting....but for my first....I was pretty happy. What do you think I can do differently on the next? I don't have my setting in front of me, but I will reply with them.
    Thanks...Scott
  • Options
    TeamSpeedTeamSpeed Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    Scraff wrote:
    I used a remote for this pic. I saw that it came out a little blured...I tried to manually focus and tried a few different setting....but for my first....I was pretty happy. What do you think I can do differently on the next? I don't have my setting in front of me, but I will reply with them.
    Thanks...Scott
    Try f8-f11, and try to get your shutter speeds around 1/320ish if possible, by moving your ISO a bit.

Bigma w/1.4x handheld at f/8, 1/500, manually focused while sky was blue this very evening...

165429852-L-LB.jpg
    7D, 70-200L IS, 17-55 IS 2.8, 150 2.8 macro, 12-24, 100-400L, 85 1.8, 50 1.4
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited June 22, 2007
    Scraff wrote:
    Thanks...Scott

What was your exposure? Here is a calculator just for shooting the moon that might help.

Tripod, wired remote, and mirror lockup if your camera has that function. I like to let autofocus grab the edge, and then switch the lens to manual before I trip the shutter.

147741148-L.jpg
    Handheld. 20D, Canon 400 5.6 + Tamron 1.4x TC. Cropped and sharpened a bit.
    1/1000, f/5.6, ISO 400
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky