Options

Brown egrets? bokeh?

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited February 9, 2005 in Wildlife
Taken Sat.

15495414-L.jpg

I lightened the sky, probably the whole photograph. Isn't the line around the birds at the top called bokeh? Will the better lens correct it?

Are these egrets? I thought they might be herons, til I noticed the white in the front. This is cropped to about 1/4 the full frame.

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Taken Sat.

I lightened the sky, probably the whole photograph. Isn't the line around the birds at the top called bokeh? Will the better lens correct it?

Are these egrets? I thought they might be herons, til I noticed the white in the front. This is cropped to about 1/4 the full frame.

ginger

I dont see what problem you are asking about ginger. I zoomed in tight to the birds but dont see a line around them...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    what is bokeh
    ginger,

bokeh is often debated. it's highly subjective, but noond disagrees that it is the quality of the oof areas in a photograph. what you are showing is not bokeh.

here's some examples:

notice the christmas lights... they are about 100yds away and are about 1" lights
    12149081-M.jpg

notice how the leaves just disappear into a melange of color

12289109-M.jpg

i really like this one.. very creamy smooth background.

12290281-M.jpg
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Taken Sat.

ginger
    Hey Ginger,

Yes, they are Great Egrets and a very nice flight shot too. clap.gif

Harry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 7, 2005
    Nice Ginger clap.gifclap.gif

I agree with Harry (what a surprise, huh?....lol). Those are Great Egrets. The wings look to be yellow from backlighting (and maybe a touch warm on the WB).

Others have chimed in about bokeh so, thankfully, I won't have to confuse you further with my explanation rolleyes1.gif

Hey, yer gettin really good at these shots thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2005
    Thank you all for all the kind words, explanations and help at understanding this strange word.

I am behind in just about all posts, but this one was very helpful.

Thanks,
    ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.