Half Dome

MikkoMikko Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
edited June 25, 2007 in Landscapes
Sunset, Half Dome, Yosemite NP

Comments

• Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    Nice capture Mikko, needs a little more 'pop' for my tastes.

Charlie
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2007
    Thebigsky,

You know looking at it for a bit I do see what you are saying. I'm not sure what your thinking but I think the shadow need to be darker and the orange glow needs to be brighter. Maybe a little more saturation???

Thanks for taking a look
    MIK
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    I think it just lacks some contrast, maybe the black levels need boosting?

Charlie
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited June 4, 2007
    Mikko wrote:
    Thebigsky,

You know looking at it for a bit I do see what you are saying. I'm not sure what your thinking but I think the shadow need to be darker and the orange glow needs to be brighter. Maybe a little more saturation???

Thanks for taking a look
    MIK

I wouldn't mess with the saturation, as the orange glow is excellent as it is. But I agree with Charlie that a bit more contrast would help and I would experiment with curves in the LAB luminosity channel to see what looks best. It's a good shot and is worth taking the time to tweak it a bit.

Regards,
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I wouldn't mess with the saturation, as the orange glow is excellent as it is. But I agree with Charlie that a bit more contrast would help and I would experiment with curves in the LAB luminosity channel to see what looks best. It's a good shot and is worth taking the time to tweak it a bit.

Regards,

I agree. This is a great shot with a lot of potential. Take the time to really make this one nice and then print it big!

I'd be carefully working on this one for hours. Little tweaks like a bump in contrast and some selective exposure bracketing to bring out some of the darker areas could really make this great.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2007
    I hope this is what you guys are talking about???
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    I think that looks quite a bit better. Beautiful light that's now enhanced.
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,459 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Mikko wrote:
    I hope this is what you guys are talking about???

I like the contrast on the second one, but I think the light (red/orange) is a bit much IMO.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2007
    Tom and Mike

Thanks for taking a look, Mike I do agree on some areas are to bright. I will probably go back and rework it to correct those areas.

MIK
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Mikko wrote:
    Tom and Mike

Thanks for taking a look, Mike I do agree on some areas are to bright. I will probably go back and rework it to correct those areas.

MIK

Great move in the right direction. I do not care for the added contrast in the shadows. If you don't already know, check out how to paint away sections of a layer with a vector mask. This will help remove the contrast from the lower shadow region. The lit section looks much better this way than the first version.
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    Yep ... there you go .. I'd even go a touch more ... I think adding more global contrast would diminish Half Dome ... so I'd darken just the shadows a bit to further increase the contrast. Man ... you're getting around California ... Death Valley and now Yosemite. So when are you gonna hit Big Sur?

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2007
    Marc and Seefutlung thanks for taking a look.

Marc I do agree, I will have to re-work it and see what I come up with.

Seefutlung, I guess I do get around. Well Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia are all in my back yard. Ahhhhhhhh, Big Sur is awesome, I've been there twice so far and can't wait to go back. I posted some shots I think back in April.

Well anyways the invitation is open to everyone, if you are in the area and want to head up to one of the parks hit me up.

MIK
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2007
    Mikko wrote:
    Marc and Seefutlung thanks for taking a look.

Marc I do agree, I will have to re-work it and see what I come up with.

Seefutlung, I guess I do get around. Well Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia are all in my back yard. Ahhhhhhhh, Big Sur is awesome, I've been there twice so far and can't wait to go back. I posted some shots I think back in April.

Well anyways the invitation is open to everyone, if you are in the area and want to head up to one of the parks hit me up.

MIK

Thanks Mik-

I shoot with a group here in SoCal, LAShooters. We shoot all the time, every weekend and often mid week. So if you venture south you are more than welcomed to shoot with us. We do a lot of urban/street shooting a contrast to nature's magnificance than you frequent.

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2007
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Thanks Mik-

I shoot with a group here in SoCal, LAShooters. We shoot all the time, every weekend and often mid week. So if you venture south you are more than welcomed to shoot with us. We do a lot of urban/street shooting a contrast to nature's magnificance than you frequent.

Gary

Not a problem, one of my brothers lives in Burbank and the other in San Diego. Next time I'm down there I will shoot you an email or some thing. Do you guys ever go out to the Mojave Desert?
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2007
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    I think that looks quite a bit better. Beautiful light that's now enhanced.
    15524779-Ti.gif

Hard to shoot a photo of Half Dome that hasn't been shot before-- you've done a nice job here. It's a nice photo-- just an idea though-- but I bet a lesser photographed Yosemite view might be more effective in this light. Yeah, yeah, I'm being VERY nit-picky-- comes from the summer I worked in YNP for the Park Service. Everyone always concentrates on Half-Dome and El Cap (and the waterfalls and Merced)... lots of other cool places in the park too! Sometimes the less obvious places make the more striking images just because they are unexpected. But again, I'm being very nit-picky.

P.S. I'd post some of my Yosemite shots but they're from the days of film and I don't have them scanned-- so take my post with a grain of salt since I don't have any examples to show you!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited June 25, 2007
    Mikko wrote:
    Not a problem, one of my brothers lives in Burbank and the other in San Diego. Next time I'm down there I will shoot you an email or some thing. Do you guys ever go out to the Mojave Desert?

A couple of our guys went down to the Salton Sea a while back ... and we've been talking about doing a Route 66 shoot.

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed