Plaza de Cesar Chavez

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited February 7, 2005 in Landscapes
Instead of stocking up on Budweiser and tritips for the superbowl, I decided to head into downtown San Jose to capture some of our local landmarks.

Founded in 1777, San Jose was California's first civilian settlement, first incorporated city, and site of the first state capital. San José is also the largest city in the Bay Area, located roughly 50 miles south of San Francisco and 390 miles north of Los Angeles, with a population of roughly 930,000 people.

As early as 1874, organized baseball was played in San Jose and since the opening of Municipal Stadium in 1942, baseball has been a mainstay to the city of San Jose as minor league affiliates from nine different major league clubs have sent their finest prospects through “Muni”. Past affiliations from 1942 to the present include the following teams: Boston Red Sox, Pittsburgh Pirates, Los Angeles/California Angels, Kansas City Royals, Cleveland Indians, Seattle Mariners, Montreal Expos, Baltimore Orioles and San Francisco Giants. Eat your heart out, San Francisco. :)

Without further ado, please follow me on a tour of Plaza de Cesar Chavez, in the heart of downtown San Jose.

At the southern tip of the plaza, sits a statue of Quetzalcoatl, the Aztec name for the Feathered-Serpent deity of ancient Mesoamerica, one of the main gods of many Mexican and northern Central American civilizations.

15466383-L.jpg

When the statue was erected in 1997, amid hysteria from religious groups claiming that the plumed serpent was pagan, there was a running joke palindrome "Park God - Dog Krap". I'm sure you can see why.

15466417-L.jpg

Plaza de Cesar Chavez is also home to the Technology Museum of Innovation (aka "the tech").

15466091-L.jpg

15466163-L.jpg

In the middle of the plaza is a fountain at street level to allow people to easily cool off in the summer.

15466217-L.jpg

That's our nicest hotel in the background - The Fairmont.

15466746-L.jpg

15466278-L.jpg

Look! We've got a couple of tall buildings too! :rofl

15466560-L.jpg

Behind the fountain, you can see the purple dome of the Imax theater inside the Tech.

15466720-L.jpg

San Jose Museum of Art, with the Knight Ridder HQ on the right.

15466836-L.jpg

15466991-L.jpg

15467210-L.jpg

Just down Market St. from MoA is St. Joseph's Cathedral Basilica, a Jesuit parish from 1849 until 1992.

15467098-L.jpg

15467140-L.jpg

and some other stuff...

15467551-L.jpg

15467280-L.jpg

15467334-L.jpg

15467411-L.jpg

15467751-L.jpg

While not technically part of Plaza de Cesar Chavez, the Children's Discovery Museum is a must see for any family visiting the area.

15467690-L.jpg

Well, that pretty much concludes our tour of downtown San Jose. I hope you enjoyed looking at our local architecture as much as I enjoyed shooting it. But before we go, no trip to downtown San Jose would be complete without a visit to the world famous Lou's Living Donut Museum, in the shadow of the Guadalupe Expressway....

15467777-L.jpg

Thanks for visiting. :wave
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    wide ...wide ....wide

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    awww man!
    I was expecting food shots :cry

But these are kinda nice too :D I like the Basilica shot and the shots with the fountain very much! Thanks for sharing fish clap.gif
    (note the absence of a capitol 'f' in fish, 'cause there can only be one Fish rolleyes1.gif)
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • obelixobelix Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Hey

Very nice shots. Really liked them. I used to work in downtown San Jose. i have some keepers from inside the church and the museum. Great photo ops inside there.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 7, 2005
    Beautiful shots of our fair city, Fish clap.gifclap.gif

You even made it look good....Laughing.gif You captured all of our major landmarks. CC park, the Fairmont, St Joe's (did you get any shots inside?), The Tech, SJ Museaum of Art, the Discovery Museum and of course the the Donut Museum on Auzerais :lol (you missed Babe the giant muffler dude though.....lol)

Nice work!!

Thanks for sharing these,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited February 7, 2005
    Nice shots of downtown. Creative use of wide angle too.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?