Options

B&W Conversion

lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
edited February 8, 2005 in Technique
Two things -

I wanted to share a website for the Rob Carr color to B&W conversion technique. I did a search here for "Rob Carr" and didn't find anything, but I apoligize anyway if this is a repeat thread.

The link is: http://www.designbyfire.com/000100.html

I like it better then the PDF at Greg Gorman's website because the step by step is more moron proof for us PS novices.

Second, I took a recent zoo photo and converted it using this technique and was hoping for critiques!

Brian

Comments

• Options
    pseudonympseudonym Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Brian, nice shot dudethumb.gif, one thing jumps out to my eye and that's the background, this may just be my monitor or something but it seems like there are diagonal streams of (very fine) pixelation running rather obviously along them, looks noisy rather than blurred (if ya catch my meaning). Dunno if this might have something to do with the conversion technique ?

otherwise I think the shot's pretty good from a purely aesthetic standpoint (and being a crap photographer that's the only standpoint I got :D)

Colin
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    fence!
    pseudonym wrote:
    Brian, nice shot dudethumb.gif, one thing jumps out to my eye and that's the background, this may just be my monitor or something but it seems like there are diagonal streams of (very fine) pixelation running rather obviously along them, looks noisy rather than blurred (if ya catch my meaning). Dunno if this might have something to do with the conversion technique ?

otherwise I think the shot's pretty good from a purely aesthetic standpoint (and being a crap photographer that's the only standpoint I got :D)

Colin
    Thanks Colin, I see what you are talking about. It's the fence in the background. I took a look again at the color (original photo), and it has that noise look as well. I didn't catch it (thank you). I hope it doesn't look to distracting.

Brian
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    lr1811 wrote:
    Thanks Colin, I see what you are talking about. It's the fence in the background. I took a look again at the color (original photo), and it has that noise look as well. I didn't catch it (thank you). I hope it doesn't look to distracting.

Brian
    Easily remedied. Select the zebra, invert selection, gaussian blur (or whatever your favorite blur is). Boob...instant bokeh. :D

Here's my quick-n-dirty version:
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    pseudonympseudonym Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    a fence ... makes sense :D, I personally don't find it particularly distracting.

edit: man I gotta learn how to use photoshop, that was slick.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    thanks fish!
    pseudonym wrote:
    a fence ... makes sense :D, I personally don't find it particularly distracting.

edit: man I gotta learn how to use photoshop, that was slick.

yes, that was great fish - I'm working on it right now... THANK YOU! thumb.gif
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    lr1811 wrote:
    yes, that was great fish - I'm working on it right now... THANK YOU! thumb.gif
    You're welcome...like I said, mine was quick and dirty...I'm sure you can do a better job than I. Have fun! That sure is a pretty animal.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson