Options

Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Arches

SaltForkSaltFork Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
edited June 26, 2007 in Journeys
Hi everyone! My brother and I took a great trip a few weeks ago and I’d like to share the best of it with you.

It all started on May 17th when I drove from my home near Fort Worth, Texas, to my brother’s place in Springdale, Arkansas. From Arkansas we made our way to Driggs, Idaho, which we used as basecamp (base-condo, really) for the first part of our trip. Driggs is the centerpiece of Teton Valley - the quiet side of the Tetons - located about 35 miles from Jackson, Wyoming, and about 95 miles from West Yellowstone, Montana.

We shot all the standard stuff...

Moulton Barn
155793371-L.jpg

Schwabacker's Landing
155475959-L.jpg

Oxbow Bend
155482070-L-1.jpg

I got this shot of my brother setting up for some bison...
155489546-L-2.jpg

I even had time for a self portrait...
155794876-L.jpg

We hit Yellowstone for a day with a desire for waterfalls and animals. I'm not sure why but neither of us cared to do Old Faithful or the thermal features of the park - been there done that, I guess. The bison were calving and the pronghorns had returned from their wintering grounds. Yellowstone is a wildlife photographers dream come true...

Bison
155459347-L-1.jpg

Pronghorn - showing his best side?
157789025-L.jpg

The Lower Falls of the Yellowstone is always a favorite...
155486471-L-1.jpg

... so is Tower Falls.
155440328-L.jpg

For some reason the colors really POP when you are 1300 miles from home.
157775420-L.jpg

And did I mention BEARS...? I made this poster from my best Black Bear shot...
157909367-L-2.jpg

We wrapped up the Idaho / Wyoming / Montana portion of our trip with an evening of photography in Teton Valley.

Evening Barn
155779933-L.jpg

Sunset on a Fencepost
157781791-L.jpg

West side of the Teton Range
155781915-L-1.jpg

Everyone knows about Jackson Hole in Wyoming but if you go across Teton Pass to Teton Valley, Idaho, you get another fantastic experience. Driggs, Idaho, is a quiet little town that is starting to become a real destination for skiers, fly fishermen, and backpackers. It's the gateway to the Jedediah Smith Wilderness and Grand Targhee Ski Resort.

From Idaho we headed south to Moab, Utah, for a couple of days of shooting in Arches National Park.

Balancing Rock at Sunset
157782537-L.jpg

Landscape Arch at Sunrise
156185175-L.jpg

Late evening in Arches is hard to beat...
157782638-L.jpg

Our trip wrapped up with a marathon drive from Moab, Utah, to Springdale, Arkansas - 1150 miles in 19.5 hours - and I'd do it all again....

If you'd like to see more from the trip, click here.

Thanks for looking!

- James
www.SaltForkImages.com

Comments

• Options
    adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Wow! Great photos! I really enjoyed following through your journey! Great job! clap.gif
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Wow, that was quite a marathon!

Texas to Arkansas to Teton/Yellowstone to Arches and back to Arkansas. Makes me tired just thinking about it.

Very nice images. However I have to admit I have a sweet spot for Arches at sunrise, so this image is my favorite of your set.
    SaltFork wrote:
    156185175-L.jpg
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    I love the leaning barn! I also think the 1st image could be a real winner as a monochrome - I don't think the colors are adding anything to the image. In black & white the tones would make the image much more interesting.
  • Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Love the bear shot.

We Idaho people have a rule that we don't tell the outsiders about the good spots. (shhhhh) :)
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    WOW!! Beautiful work!!
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    Some nice shots!
    The skies were beautiful in the Moab area, weren't they?

Out of curiosity, when were you in Moab, we drove there on the 7th and were in arches all day on the 8th
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited June 17, 2007
    Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    carmel6942carmel6942 Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    Great photos they really remind me of why I miss wyoming.
    Carl
  • Options
    digdon1digdon1 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2007
    Nice Selection
    Some great shots of your Yellowstone trip. Viewing them almost made me feel I was on the trip with you and your brother. Notice, I said, almost! Nothing like being there in person. Thanks for posting.

DD

:D
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    Of all the shots, the leaning barn is my favorite. Probably because I was not expecting it with your collection. I'll be visiting Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and the Black Hills next month. Last year I visited Moab, Grand Canyon and all places in between. The biggest difference this year, I'll have my D50 and not a P&S.

Thanks for the photo's.

Dale