Options

Adobe Lightroom 1.1 Update available.

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited July 5, 2007 in Finishing School
Adobe Lightroom 1.1 Update available, find it here.

I am working on installing it now.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 26, 2007
    From the Read Me file with the update, plus a host of other info and known issues. This is a list of what is new.
    New in Lightroom 1.1

Lightroom 1.1 provides many new features and enhancements to existing features the most notable of which are listed below.

General

* Template Browsers in the Slideshow, Print, and Web module as well as the Preset Browser in the Develop module are now hierarchical, allowing for a one-level deep hierarchy. Folders can be created by choosing the Folder drop-down option below the preset or template name field.
    * The "breadcrumbs" text at the top of the filmstrip now changes the highlighted item based on context. For example, if a command in Library will affect all selected photos, the text "5 selected" is highlighted instead of the filename. In output modules, the highlighted section indicates which photos are being included in the output of the module.
    * The filmstrip filter now includes additional icons to show only negative(master) photos or virtual copies
    * When importing from removable media, Lightroom provides the option to eject-after-import.
    * Lightroom now supports all of the available DNG conversion settings:
    -File Extension
    -JPEG Preview Size
    -Image Conversion Method
    -Compression
    -Embed Original Raw File
    * Preferences have been separated into global application preferences and catalog-specific settings:
    Catalog Specific
    -Backup options
    -Preview size
    -Sequence numbers
    -Metadata browser options
    -XMP metadata handling
    -Optimize Catalog: This command will be useful for larger databases that seem to perform below their initial levels. Optimization is also a part of the upgrade process and provides the most benefit after Lightroom has performed a number of catalog operations. (additions, deletions, changes, etc.)
    Additional global preferences
    -Default camera raw settings can now be shared with Camera Raw 4.1 and be set on a per camera model, serial number or ISO setting basis
    -Store presets with catalog file
    -Treat JPEG files with the same name as a neighboring raw file as a separate photo
    -Edit externally file naming presets
    -Option to read and respect various hierarchical separator formats in the dc:subject keyword field on import
    -Additional panel end marks have been included in the interface preferences

Library Module

* Ctrl-clicking or right-clicking on a photo will provide a method of directly locating and viewing the image folder in the Library
    * A Copy Name field is available in the default Metadata panel. This field is blank by default for normal photos, but is set to "Copy 1", "Copy 2", etc. for subsequent virtual copies of that image. This field is available in the naming tokens under the same popup that contains "Original Name" for use when generating filenames on export. It is also searchable with the Find panel.
    * A virtual copy may be set as the master image using the Photo file menu. The previous master will be set as a virtual copy
    * The Find panel layout has been improved
    * The Keyword Stamper tool in the Library toolbar has been replaced by a spray can that be utilized as a general purpose applicator. The spray applicator now allows application of keywords, ratings, flags, labels, develop presets, metadata presets, and rotations. The icon can be used to click-and-drag to apply the specified content to multiple photos at one time.
    * A Ctrl-click or right-click on a folder in the Library provides a new "Synchronize Folder" command that can check for new images in the folder, check for missing photos and scan for metadata updates.
    * Catalog Export provides the ability to select a subset of a current catalog(any active selection) and create a new independent catalog file including only the selected images. The exported catalog has the option to include the master files or negatives and the previews associated with the files. A common use of an exported catalog would be to export a portfolio collection from a desktop computer to be used on a laptop computer for a lightweight portable presentation catalog.
    * Catalog import provides photographers with the opportunity to merge existing catalogs of different or identical images. A common use of catalog import would be to merge a set of photographs temporarily stored on a laptop with a larger set of images stored on a separate computer.
    * Catalog import conflict: If the file sets overlap during a catalog import, the import dialog offers several options for "Existing Photos."

Metadata

* Develop snapshots are now stored in XMP
    * Metadata can now be updated in the file using the Command(ctrl) + S shortcut
    * Hierarchical keywords are now stored in XMP. Keywords removed in other editors will not be removed from Lightroom. Keyword synonyms and other keyword export options will only be applied when you export from Lightroom and not to the XMP of your negative
    * The Metadata menu has a new option to update previews along with metadata in DNG. This menu will operate on your selection in the grid view
    * The copyright status field has been added to the metadata panel
    * Metadata presets can now be viewed, renamed, deleted, and updated in the Edit Presets dialog.
    * The metadata browser now shows ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed, and Label
    * The metadata panel now has "action" arrow buttons next to a selection of data fields.

Develop module

* Clarity: New Control available in the Basic panel. Clarity adds depth to an image by increasing local contrast. When using this setting, it is best to zoom in to 100% or greater. To maximize the effect, increase the setting until you see halos near the edge details of the image, and then reduce the setting slightly.
    * Sharpening Improvements:
    Additional controls available in the Detail panel. The zoom level must be set to 100% or greater in order to view the effects of these controls.
    -Amount: Adjusts edge definition. Increase the Amount value to increase sharpening. A value of zero turns off sharpening. In general, set Amount to a lower value for cleaner images. The adjustment locates pixels that differ from surrounding pixels based on the threshold you specify and increases the pixels’ contrast by the amount you specify. Press Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS) while dragging this slider to view the sharpening on a grayscale preview.
    -Radius: Adjusts the size of the details that sharpening is applied to. Photos with very fine details may need a lower radius setting. Photos with larger details may be able to use a larger radius. Using too large a radius will generally result in unnatural looking results. Press Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS) while dragging this slider to preview the radius effect on edge definition.
    -Detail: Adjusts how much high-frequency information is sharpened in the image and how much the sharpening process emphasizes edges. Lower settings primarily sharpen edges to remove blurring. Higher values are useful for making the textures in the image more pronounced.
    -Masking: Controls an edge mask. With a setting of zero, everything in the image receives the same amount of sharpening. With a setting of 100, sharpening is mostly restricted to those areas near the strongest edges. Press Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS) while dragging this slider to see the areas to be sharpened (white) versus the areas masked out (black).
    * You can now load a snapshot or history state into the Before view by ctrl-clicking or right-clicking it in the panel.

Slideshow module

* The Slideshow module now uses a different mechanism to present the slideshow in order to generate smoother transitions.
    * By default, slideshows will now only include the selected photos if there is more than one photo selected.

Print module

* There is now a checkbox next to Print Resolution. Turning off this checkbox will cause the native resolution of the photo to be used given that it falls within the range of 72 and 480 ppi.
    * There is an available overlay on the print preview that shows the dimensions of the photo inside each cell (in the print units) and if a specific resolution is not being used the resolution each photo will be printed at.

Web module

* The following options are now included:
    o Include all metadata with files generated from Web, or to elect to minimize the metadata to just the content of the Copyright field
    o Only use selected photos
    o Turn off section borders
    o Apply drop-shadows and photo borders

Working with Lightroom 1.1 and Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw

Lightroom and Photoshop Camera Raw share the same image processing technology to ensure consistent and compatible results across applications that support raw processing. These applications include Photoshop CS3, Photoshop Elements 4.01 for Mac, Photoshop Elements 5.0 and Premiere Elements 3.0 for Windows.

Photoshop Camera Raw 4.1
    Adobe applications must be updated with the Camera Raw 4.1plug-in in order to ensure compatibility with Lightroom 1.1 develop module settings. Photoshop CS3 users can update the Camera Raw plug-in automatically using the Update tool listed under the Help menu. The Camera Raw 4.1 plug-in can also be downloaded and installed manually by visiting the Adobe web site: www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html. Please follow the installation instruction carefully.

Sharing Lightroom Settings with Camera Raw 4.1
    By default, Lightroom’s develop module settings are stored in Lightroom’s database. In order to ensure that Lightroom develop settings can be viewed by Camera Raw 4.1 the settings must be written to the XMP metadata block for that file. This metadata is stored in an XMP sidecar file (Imagename.xmp) in the current image directory of proprietary raw files or stored directly within DNG files. To update images with the latest develop settings, choose the library module and select the group of target images. Choose the shortcut Command(Ctrl) + S to save the settings to the XMP metadata block.

Viewing Lightroom settings in Camera Raw 4.1
    Before working in conjunction with Lightroom and Camera Raw please set the Camera Raw preference to: Save image settings in: Sidecar ".xmp" files. By default Camera Raw will display the image adjustments exactly as performed in Lightroom’s develop module.

Viewing Camera Raw settings in Lightroom
    Raw files edited by previous versions of Camera Raw files will maintain their previous appearance when imported into Lightroom. Note: Those files must have been edited with the preference set to Save image settings in: Sidecar “.xmp” files in order for Lightroom to respect the previous edit. Files edited in Camera Raw after importation into Lightroom can be updated in Lightroom by choosing the “Read Metadata from Files ” from the Metadata file menu. Note: This menu option is only available in the Lightroom Library.

Additional Notes on Camera Raw and Lightroom

* Camera Raw will only read the current settings for the primary image in the Lightroom Library. Virtual Copy adjustments and Snapshot adjustments will not be displayed or available in Camera Raw 4.1
  • Options
    William M PorterWilliam M Porter Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    tip on installation
    Finished my installation of Lightroom 1.1 a few minutes ago and have a tip to offer - or at least can share my experience, in case it might prove useful to someone else.

Although the application itself is in the Applications folder on my C drive, I store my Lightroom library and all my photo files on an external hard disk. When I first launched 1.1 after the installation - everything was blank. No photos. Didn't panic, read the info, and figured out that it had created a new default library file on the C drive, and of course that new default library knew about no photos at all. To switch to my old library file, I had to quit Lightroom, and then relaunch while holding down the cntl key.

Launching version 1.1 with the cntl key held down, I got a dialog asking me to locate the existing library that I wanted to use. The OLD library file was named "Lightroom Library.aglib". Perhaps yours is named something different, but I think that ".aglib" filename extension is what you want. Anyway, one of the changes in 1.1 is that this all-important file is no longer called a library, it's now called a catalog, and it has a new file format and a new extension (".lrcat").

The main thing I want to mention is that the old library file has to be converted and if you don't pay attention, the conversion process might be scary, or confusing, or even dangerous - if you make the mistake of force-quitting the process before its finished. When I selected my old library file, an alert dialog told me that the old file had to be converted, warned that this would take a while, and noted that during that time, Lightroom might appear to be unresponsive. I'm glad that I was paying attention when I read that warning or I might have thought that the conversion processed had crashed. I had my web browser running at the time. When I switched to the browser (away from the conversion utility), the conversion progress dialog suddenly displayed the text "(Application Not Responding)". That's usually bad news, but I heeded the earlier warning. I quit my browser and stepped away from the computer. Came back 10 or 15 minutes later and it was all done. Lightroom was open and all my photos (all 80 GB) were there once again. Hallelujah!

Summary: quit everything before installing the update and launching the new version; select your old library file; leave the computer completely alone while Lightroom converts the old library to the new format. And don't panic if you see an "application not responding" comment on the progress bar. Just give it some time. Of course, if it's not finished with the conversion by, say, Friday, then you can panic.

Otherwise, enjoy.

Will
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    Thanks for the heads up Will, I'll be installing later and will heed your advice.

Charlie
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited June 27, 2007
    I downloaded LR 1.1 last night, but decided to wait a while before installing it, because of concerns like this.

Thanks for the heads up. I am going to wait another day or two before I proceed. But I will by this weekend.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    Well, my library is still small as I've not imported much yet, but my update went swimmingly. PF, back up your library, you're on a Mac, you should be fine! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    William M PorterWilliam M Porter Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Well, my library is still small as I've not imported much yet, but my update went swimmingly. PF, back up your library, you're on a Mac, you should be fine!

I would never advise anybody NOT to backup anything. The more backups the merrier, or at least the safer. It's no doubt wise to backup EVERYTHING, if you don't do this already. But for what it's worth, the Lightroom 1.1 installer automatically saves a backup of your 1.0 .aglib file in a folder named "backups".

Will
  • Options
    rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    Hey folks - installed the update last night but haven't had a chance to try out the new features. Just to reiterate one of the points above: The library conversion process can take a very long time!! I've detailed my experience in that blog post, but the gist is that 30k images took 10-20 minutes to convert and then there's another 10-20 minute delay of *nothing* on screen before the window gets on screen, initialized ready to roll.

Future starts after the initial one seem to be quick, but be careful to not kill anything thinking that the process is just locked up. Go get some coffee or go outside and take pictures or something. thumb.gif
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    Ok not bad. Install goes smoothly, but since my Lightroom db is on another hard drive, it didn't convert, and opened a blank collection. At first I thought it messed up all my photos. But once I pointed it to the proper db, a wizard started and told me what it was doing as it went along, so it was well done. Took about 5 mins to covert 7000 images. Can't say I notice any particular speed improvements, but dont have any real issues with speed. Doesn't look any different, and few additional features in develop, but all in all, smooth upgrade...after a momentary shock.
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    Installation complete, I have my library on a RAID separate from my root drive and did indeed have to start Lightroom with the option key depressed and locate the existing library (thanks again Will, I can imagine the amount of users panicking tonight when their images seem to have disappeared!)

Subsequent library conversion of 10k pictures took about 3 minutes. I'm liking the defringe all edges and clarity adjustments.

Charlie
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    Smooth Install
    Finished my upgrade on a Windows XP PC with no troubles. My database was on my local drive. So, everthing went smoothly--just kept hitting "next" until it was done. Library conversion took about 10 minutes for 6700 images.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    Adobe Lightroom 1.1 Update available
    The download and upgrade of v1.0 installed on my Mac Pro without a hitch, and v1.1 is operating faultlessly.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2007
    The download and upgrade of v1.0 installed on my Mac Pro without a hitch, and v1.1 is operating faultlessly.

It installed easily on my Macbook and G5. I have not had a lot of time to test it out yet, but so far, so good. thumb.gif
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2007
    Installed LR 1.1 a few days ago, and uploaded a new shoot using it. It did take a while as Ryan said to convert the library, but I was patient and all was well. Developed (nice new tools!) and Exported images from new shoot, and browsed some older collections...all seemed fine.

I don't know what I've done...but today, every folder renders previews, but says "The File Could Not Be Opened" above the image. This happens in every folder, even the one shoot uploaded *AFTER* I installed 1.1.

Do I relaunch LR while holding CTRL as I've read in earlier posts? I'm afraid my 'old' catalog is going to confuse the new one. I'm not sure I have my head wrapped around the known issues and how it applies to my experience.

I do have all RAW files backed up on ExHD, and have been backing up my LR library religiously, and did so right before installing 1.1.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2007
    Have you tried synchronizing the folder?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

Duh, I guess I need to study up more on LR's folder system. It worked fine.

Is there a way to do this in bulk, or am I going to have to do this manually on every folder?

Thanks David, I ride the short bus when it comes to technology.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Duh, I guess I need to study up more on LR's folder system. It worked fine.

Is there a way to do this in bulk, or am I going to have to do this manually on every folder?

Thanks David, I ride the short bus when it comes to technology.

I have no idea re: bulk. I've been using LR seriously for a week. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I have no idea re: bulk. I've been using LR seriously for a week. :D

Ha, I've been beta-ing it since November, how embarrassing that you know so much more than me!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

That's an odd error and I don't know that sycn folders will fix it, instead, you may need to rebuild the catalog from scratch. Point to the root folder where all other's reside and import everything all over again. You may be also able to now sync all the metadata from grid. You'll lose some stuff like collections that live in the actual database but all the images, folder structures etc should come back. Then of course, routinely backup the database. You can instruct LR to do this for you.

I've had to do this from time to time due to a lot of early alpha and beta testing of LR. it usually fixes all the issues.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/