Options

So Many Files!!

Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited February 8, 2005 in Technique
what do you do!!?!?!? I have like 3000+ and thats off only my 20D... my 50gig is going lower and lower and lower... I always keep my raw files... covert then delete the converted.. but then I thought that was stupid as I may not be able to make the same photo... and then some one told me I should also keep the psd file.. ok so I now have at least 3 files for the same picture. I was thinking about backing up to dvd, but if scratched then there lost.. a external hard drive but the same thing. So I was thinking of just doing the dvd back up and pray! But... do you guys some how index your photos? I have a program called where is it for pc files.. very old copy.. but is there a program for photos.. to index them so if i need a file I can go right to it? DANG! this is a long post sorry!
www.dipphoto.com
All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    But... do you guys some how index your photos? I have a program called where is it for pc files.. very old copy.. but is there a program for photos.. to index them so if i need a file I can go right to it? DANG! this is a long post sorry!

iView Media Pro
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    dawsondawson Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Give that Cat the Boot
    Here is an article that really hit home with me: http://www.steves-digicams.com/smp/10062002.html called Give that Cat the Boot. I'm not trying to say that you are guilty of this but I know I am!! :D

But there are quite a few photo organizers out there that will let you archive things to CD/DVD to free up some hard disk space.
  • Options
    yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    That is sooooooooo true!!! I've become really brutal about only keeping what I consider the best (although I will confess to a few fuzzy fish shots of rarely seen fish).
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    what do you do!!?!?!? I have like 3000+ and thats off only my 20D... my 50gig is going lower and lower and lower... I always keep my raw files... covert then delete the converted.. but then I thought that was stupid as I may not be able to make the same photo... and then some one told me I should also keep the psd file.. ok so I now have at least 3 files for the same picture. I was thinking about backing up to dvd, but if scratched then there lost.. a external hard drive but the same thing. So I was thinking of just doing the dvd back up and pray! But... do you guys some how index your photos? I have a program called where is it for pc files.. very old copy.. but is there a program for photos.. to index them so if i need a file I can go right to it? DANG! this is a long post sorry!
    If you use ps cs, how about the contact sheet II under automate? You can set it up to make a sheet that is the size of a jewel case.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    yvonne wrote:
    (although I will confess to a few fuzzy fish shots of rarely seen fish).

eek7.gifwxwax
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    wow, thanks Dawson!!
    dawson wrote:
    Here is an article that really hit home with me: http://www.steves-digicams.com/smp/10062002.html called Give that Cat the Boot. I'm not trying to say that you are guilty of this but I know I am!! :D

But there are quite a few photo organizers out there that will let you archive things to CD/DVD to free up some hard disk space.
    That's some article!!! I'll keep it as a reference next to my computer, although I have become better at throwing so-so shots in the garbage bin :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    good page!
    that is a very good but true page.. lol.. the bad thing is you ask 5 people wha tpic they like and you get 4 diffrent opions.. lol... Will have to try and work more on the self... but then back to the begining... all the files... pdp,crs,jos.. keep all 3? The iview Idea is nice! A good program. My major thing is put files on a disk.. instead of having to back thru all of the disks to have a master digital index... as iview looks like it will do the trick.. vs having tons of paper index sheets.. I like elements 3.0 but as soon as you take it off the hard drive... it looses it. and wants to reconnect it.
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • Options
    dawsondawson Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    Elements 3
    that is a very good but true page.. lol.. the bad thing is you ask 5 people wha tpic they like and you get 4 diffrent opions.. lol... Will have to try and work more on the self... but then back to the begining... all the files... pdp,crs,jos.. keep all 3? The iview Idea is nice! A good program. My major thing is put files on a disk.. instead of having to back thru all of the disks to have a master digital index... as iview looks like it will do the trick.. vs having tons of paper index sheets.. I like elements 3.0 but as soon as you take it off the hard drive... it looses it. and wants to reconnect it.

This is what I use. You can use the orgainzer portion of it to archive files to disk. Elements 3 works just fine as long as you do all of your archiving through it as oppose to doing the file manipulation manually outside of the program. If files are moved outside of the organizer you will get that reconnect message. But if you use the organizer it will show you which ones are archived and when you want to manipulate again later it will tell you which disk to put in. It meets my needs well.

There is a help topic on this to get to it:
    Open up help and from the Contents Tab navigate to "Help Topics" then "Managing Catalogs" then "To Burn (copy) Photos and other items".

There is also a way to turn off that auto reconnect files feature to.

Hope this helps.