Options

Recommendations for trip to NYC

MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited June 29, 2007 in Technique
I will be taking the family to NYC in August and wanted to get feedback on the addition of a 50mm 1.8 lens for my D50. Currently I have the kit 18-55mm lens and the 18-200mm. Being a noobie, I typically cary just the 18-200mm. So far, I have been very happy with the lense. However, I was thinking for night shots, or any shots indoors, the 50mm might be better.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Dale

Comments

• Options
    FirelarzFirelarz Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    I will be taking the family to NYC in August and wanted to get feedback on the addition of a 50mm 1.8 lens for my D50. Currently I have the kit 18-55mm lens and the 18-200mm. Being a noobie, I typically cary just the 18-200mm. So far, I have been very happy with the lense. However, I was thinking for night shots, or any shots indoors, the 50mm might be better.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Dale

Alot depends on where in NYC you are going and what you plan to shoot. If that is the gear you have, then bring it with you, you can always leave it locked up. INHO it is better to have too much gear and not need it then need it and have left it home.
    Let us know where you are planning to shoot and maybe we can be more help.
    Larz
    I am always on a quest for knowledge. If you have some extra, send it to me. (I just love this little guy!) :barb :barb :barb

Nikon D2X l D2XS l and alot of Nikon glass...
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2007
    Firelarz wrote:
    Let us know where you are planning to shoot and maybe we can be more help.
    Larz

Thanks for the response. In general, I plan to take a lot of shots. Having never been to NYC as a tourist, I'm sure there are many things to photograph. Most of the shots I take of any buildings while outdoors will be done so during the day. We plan to visit some museums, take in a few shows, etc. that will require a faster lens without the use of flash. Although, I doubt they will allow the use of photography in a Broadway show.

I also felt the 50mm would be better for any potrait shots. The 18-200mm does a good job for almost everything I would need to shoot. However, for those lower light conditions, I thought a faster lense like the 50mm 1.8 would be better. I've looked online at a few other options as well. I'm not stuck on the 50mm, but at $115 it's hard to pass up.

Dale
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited June 25, 2007
    The Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D is one of the real bargains in the Nikon world, with plenty of applications beyond your trip. Get it and you won't regret it.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    seebeyondseebeyond Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 25, 2007
    No worries, B&H is around the corner.
  • Options
    FirelarzFirelarz Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    Thanks for the response. In general, I plan to take a lot of shots. Having never been to NYC as a tourist, I'm sure there are many things to photograph. Most of the shots I take of any buildings while outdoors will be done so during the day. We plan to visit some museums, take in a few shows, etc. that will require a faster lens without the use of flash. Although, I doubt they will allow the use of photography in a Broadway show.

I also felt the 50mm would be better for any potrait shots. The 18-200mm does a good job for almost everything I would need to shoot. However, for those lower light conditions, I thought a faster lense like the 50mm 1.8 would be better. I've looked online at a few other options as well. I'm not stuck on the 50mm, but at $115 it's hard to pass up.

Dale

The 50 would be good for low light. Like was mentioned, you have to go, (it's in the rules) to B&H Photo. Man I love that place! If you decide on the Empire State Building, don't waste the money on the 102nd floor, the 86 is better IMHO. There are some great shots to be had there!
    I would also shoot some of the bridges if you are into that. I shot from Brooklyn, check my post in the Whipping post section under Brooklyn Bridge. Man there is so much to see and do.

If you are going to a show and don't have tickets yet, go to Times Square, there is a place called TKTS, they have discounted tickets to shows that are the same day. We actually had to run to get to the theatre on time. Alot of off broadway stuff that is excellent.

Any more questions, feel free to ask.
    Larz
    I am always on a quest for knowledge. If you have some extra, send it to me. (I just love this little guy!) :barb :barb :barb

Nikon D2X l D2XS l and alot of Nikon glass...
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2007
    Thanks for all the feedback. I purchased the 50mm yesterday.

As far as B&H goes, I am not sure that's a wise idea. The family may not be able to eat the rest of the trip if I step one foot in the building! Actually, I had not thought about before, but will add it to my list. I've been wanting a new tripod. This will give me the chance to play with a few before making a final decision.

Thanks for the info on Empire State building as well.

Dale
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2007
    Can't comment on the lens but the B&H store is awesome. It IS hard to leave though! Times Square is a great place to go at night. The lights are incredible. There are usually lots of street performers and interesting people there too.

It's interesting to see the renovations going on around the Twin Towers site. If you haven't been there before it will really give you an idea of the magnitude of what happened. There are some local firehouses that you can stop into and talk to the firefighters.

Central park is a good place to visit also. As Larz already suggested, check out the discount ticket place in times square. If you're flexible about the show you see you'll get some great prices. Can be a long line though.