Options

Conducting Two Kinds of Business

Marc SMarc S Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited June 29, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Need some advice on using my site for two separate types of photography businesses.

I do wedding photography and advertise my site in different and various areas. However, I also am getting more into large format photography and want to start doing more art and landscapes.

I'm not sure if I'm hurting my wedding business by having my site promote both art and wedding. I tend to think that potential brides want to work with someone who is "focused" (no pun intended) on strictly weddings.

I also want to start promoting my landscapes and art. However, I'm sure art folks don't want to look at wedding sites.

Do I need two separate websites? Or is there a way some of you are combining both and making it successful.

I really don't want to get two separate websites. However, it may not be an option.

Thanks for the advice

Marc S

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    Here is how I would do it.

On your home page explain the basics of your wedding business (primary focus, full time, years in business, why you do it, yada yada yada) and then explain the art side of the business (done in with the time you have left over from wedding work, why you do it, etc, etc, etc). Then they can follow one link to the rest of your site that has to deal with weddings, or the link that has to deal with your art. And there should be a link somewhere on all of the pages to switch between focuses at any time.

But that keeps them seperate yet on the same site.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2007
    Interesting way of doing it. I'm about to do a complete makeover of my site and will consider implementing what you suggest.

Thanks
    Marc S
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    I don't know anything about wedding photography or brides concerns about your focus, but one thing you could do is get a separate domain name for your fine art work and have it redirect to a category within your existing site where you will put all of your fine art galleries. Then using customization you could decide how much or if at all the two sites interact with each other.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    I don't know anything about wedding photography or brides concerns about your focus, but one thing you could do is get a separate domain name for your fine art work and have it redirect to a category within your existing site where you will put all of your fine art galleries. Then using customization you could decide how much or if at all the two sites interact with each other.

Hi Bill.

Great idea. I'm going to give it a shot. It'll take some thinking as to how to customize it. However, I think what I'll do is create a category with another header and footer: make it look like another webpage. From there, I'll create a simple gallery to display the images.

Thanks
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    I don't claim to be able to get into a brides head, but I would think most brides would LOVE to have someone who has an artistic eye. I can only speak for myself, but my thinking is if someone has an artistic eye, they may see something during the day's events that define the day. Capture something that transcends the wedding day and becomes a stand alone work of art.

In regards to the art crowd, I would think that audience would like to see good photgraphs, regardless of the subject.
  • Options
    Photodawg1Photodawg1 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    Hmmm...good thread. I have a webpage that pretty much directs viewers to my Smugmug page. I started shooting about 6 years and have gone through quite a metamorphis of subjects and styles...and still evolving. Although sports and events are extremely popular, My art photography sells much better than anything else I do...funny thing is, it only sells in art shows, so I don't sweat trying to even sell it online. I agree I think the art you do will give you an edge with your bridal clients.
    Linda
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2007
    Thanks for the input.

I've been led to believe that in the photo business, a website ought to focus on just one venue. For instance, architectual photographers have sites dedicated to nothing but architectual photos, wedding strictly to wedding photos. I guess there's lots of opinions on the best route to go. I'm still new to the marketing aspect of photography so all you input is most appreciated

While at it, do you believe people are more drawn to a photographer than to a photography company? For instance, I'm considering changing my company to mynamephotography instead of inframepictures.

What do you think about a personal name versus a company name?
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    I would think that landscape and art would be complementary to wedding photography.

I guess that's why I would want to make sure I have the best photos on my site.
    headscratch.gif

So that people see that I have a good eye.
    In regards to the art crowd, I would think that audience would like to see good photgraphs, regardless of the subject.
    [adding] "or company name."
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    S. HortonS. Horton Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    Consumer purchasing behavior:
    1. Attention
    2. Interest
    3. Decision
    4. Action

You want to get to 4, the business booking. An initially confusing homepage hinders #2 -- This is why some say you should do everything you can to avoid confusing the prospect.

But, with the web in such broad use, I think the customer is pretty sophisticated overall about purchasing services online (photogs included), so if you provide clarity about your portfolio and background alongside your best work, I think that they'll be more likely to buy, IMO.

On the marketing side, I could only suggest not presenting something completely confusing visually on the opening page. e.g. wedding shot, next to a gallery of SM, next to gallery of famine victims, for example.

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2007
    Thanks Evoreware and Sam.

Good solid info. Appreciate the advice. I'm doing a complete redesigning of my page to incorporate a lot of what many here have said. I'll post when it's ready.

Marc S
  • Options
    largelylivinlargelylivin Registered Users Posts: 561 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2007
    Words of experience.....
    I actually know something about this having attempted it, first hand, failed, and re done it.

Do not get distracted and confused by the talk of alternate homepages, virtual galleries, groups, private and public stuff. You cannot successfully get there from here.

Ultimately you will want and need two separate domains. Some of the above topics will let you "pre-tend" you have two domains but you will eventually run into a brick wall and have to start over.

Without explaining all the reasons why its not doable on SM, just consider this. You make you living this way? How much does a little newpaper advertisement cost? Suggestion: Pay another $150 to SM (I know, you shouldn't have to), get yourself another domain name, and develop the sites separately.

Note that I have two such sites listed below. One is for Photo Restoration, which has been a complete flop except for the receipients of all the free work I did, and the other is for event photography which, even though Ive only been at it a month, looks much more promising and IS generating some income.
    Brad Newby

http://blue-dog.smugmug.com
    http://smile-123.smugmug.com
    http://vintage-photos.blogspot.com/

Canon 7D, 100-400L, Mongoose 3.5, hoping for a 500L real soon.