Options

Wedding Shoot ( second attempt)

djamesdjames Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
edited June 30, 2007 in Weddings
I had the opportunity to act as a back-up photographer in case the primary photographer had problems with her photo's (family friend as photographer). Appreciate C&C on these images as I am still learning.

163724053-M-1.jpg

Used a ceiling bounce with FL-50 flash mounted on the camera.

163724093-M-1.jpg

Daughter of the Groom playing around before the wedding.

163770527-M.jpg

Thinking about Running?

164065258-M-1.jpg

Candle Lighter

164109301-M.jpg

Bride

164109389-M-1.jpg

From the Back of the Church.

Thank you for your comments.
http://www.djames-photography.com
In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.

Comments

• Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    Let's see... over all, very nice! A few comments individually!
    1. Very nice shot, but the flash *really* bothers me. Definitely needs to be diffused. Have you looked at a Whale Tale or a Lightsphere? Makes a huge difference!
    2. Wonderful!
    3. Hilarious! I'd love to see it in B&W and I think the light would be sooo cool! Wonderful shot!
    4. Very cute! A tad crooked, but nothing that can't be very easily fixed!
    5. Eh. Not a flattering angle for such a pretty bride. I am not liking this shot.
    6. I would crop out the right... Not sure if it's your flash or the lighting in the location, but the wall is lit up a bit bright. You may try this shot in B&W and see if that gets toned down a bit more. But the shot is very nice... I'd like to see more emotion, but it's still a nice shot.
    My two favorites are 2 & 3. The groom heading out really cracks me up!

Very well done!
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    I just re-read this before posting and it comes across a little blunt. Sorry about that. It's not my intent to offend, but I don't like to sugar-coat things either. Please take these comments in the spirit in which they are intended - to help you.

I visited the gallery and looked at all the shots there. You did a wonderful job of documenting the event. I believe many of your shots could be improved with a little post processing, seasoning for taste with adjustments to exposure, contrast, saturation, and white balance.

One thing I consistantly noticed as I have the problem is spades, is what appears to be an unintentional tilt in many of your photos.

The one thing really missing is emotion. Those are photos that will be treasured by the B&G and families.

Finally, as mentioned by photogmomma, you need to get some sort of light modifier. Something as simple as bouncing the flash off the ceiling and attaching an index card to the rear of the flash to bouce a little fill light into eyes, etc will greatly improve your shots. This technique will remove the very strong outline shadows seen in a number of the shots, especially the photos at the alter (your first posted image is a good example of where this technique would have had good effect). Other light modifiers that work well are the "Better Bounce Card" (google for this, it's cheap to make), the Fong Light Sphere or Whale Tail (much more expensive), or the Demb Flash Diffusers (my current favorite).
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2007
    I just re-read this before posting and it comes across a little blunt. Sorry about that. It's not my intent to offend, but I don't like to sugar-coat things either. Please take these comments in the spirit in which they are intended - to help you.

I visited the gallery and looked at all the shots there. You did a wonderful job of documenting the event. I believe many of your shots could be improved with a little post processing, seasoning for taste with adjustments to exposure, contrast, saturation, and white balance.

One thing I consistantly noticed as I have the problem is spades, is what appears to be an unintentional tilt in many of your photos.

The one thing really missing is emotion. Those are photos that will be treasured by the B&G and families.

Finally, as mentioned by photogmomma, you need to get some sort of light modifier. Something as simple as bouncing the flash off the ceiling and attaching an index card to the rear of the flash to bouce a little fill light into eyes, etc will greatly improve your shots. This technique will remove the very strong outline shadows seen in a number of the shots, especially the photos at the alter (your first posted image is a good example of where this technique would have had good effect). Other light modifiers that work well are the "Better Bounce Card" (google for this, it's cheap to make), the Fong Light Sphere or Whale Tail (much more expensive), or the Demb Flash Diffusers (my current favorite).

Scott

Your reply is not blunt, but informative.

You are correct is saying the photos need post processing. There has not been any done on any of them to this point. I posted the images as taken and was kicking myself that I did not pay attention when I was taking them and they were not in Raw. As I get the time I intend to process them in lightroom and possibly PS2.

Thank you very much for the suggestions on the flash modifications. I need this kind of guidance and really appreciate it.

Dennis
    In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
    Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2007
    Let's see... over all, very nice! A few comments individually!
    1. Very nice shot, but the flash *really* bothers me. Definitely needs to be diffused. Have you looked at a Whale Tale or a Lightsphere? Makes a huge difference!
    2. Wonderful!
    3. Hilarious! I'd love to see it in B&W and I think the light would be sooo cool! Wonderful shot!
    4. Very cute! A tad crooked, but nothing that can't be very easily fixed!
    5. Eh. Not a flattering angle for such a pretty bride. I am not liking this shot.
    6. I would crop out the right... Not sure if it's your flash or the lighting in the location, but the wall is lit up a bit bright. You may try this shot in B&W and see if that gets toned down a bit more. But the shot is very nice... I'd like to see more emotion, but it's still a nice shot.
    My two favorites are 2 & 3. The groom heading out really cracks me up!

Very well done!

Andy

Thank you for your time and input. I appreciate the constructive critism and suggestions. Weddings and portrait photography is one area I have not done much, and I know it shows. I am working on improving my weakest areas to become a better photographer and crave the instructive reviews.

Dennis
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2007
    djames wrote:
    Andy

Thank you for your time and input. I appreciate the constructive critism and suggestions. Weddings and portrait photography is one area I have not done much, and I know it shows. I am working on improving my weakest areas to become a better photographer and crave the instructive reviews.

Dennis

Want to get better? Two things *really* helped me think about weddings (and events, too) in a different way...

The first one was to look at any event that is just people (a party, wedding, gathering) as a sporting event.

When watching sports, you see the ball/puck/whatever moving in a direction, you predict what's going to happen and hopefully you're right and you capture the moment when it hits the goal, net, another player, whatever....

Events are the same way. You watch people interact... you see the joke, story, interaction going in a certain way and you wait... wait for the punchline, the end, the reaction by others and you capture THAT. Not people just standing their, you capture how they react and act with each other.

Once I started seeing things that way, my photography turned a corner....

But when it comes to a wedding, the best advice I had was to capture it through "the misty eyes of the bride". Imagine how the bride sees things... her future, almost, now husband. The details. The family. The relationships. And try to capture that! Best advice I ever got for weddings. Now I make sure I capture all those little - and big - things related to all that was done with the wedding!

Finally, this is not advice I've gotten, but rather advice I'm giving. If you want to get better at capturing people (I sucked 3 years ago), take your camera to all family and friend functions. Figure out what works - watch interactions since you know people, watch for things to change, shoot a bajillion photos and try to predict what you can! It makes a HUGE difference taking photos of people you know. You can predict them so much more!

Anyway, sorry to be so verbose. That's what a glass (or two) of wine will do to you!

Hope all that helps! Remember - it's not just the shots, but how you SEE the shots before you grab them!
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    Want to get better? Two things *really* helped me think about weddings (and events, too) in a different way...

The first one was to look at any event that is just people (a party, wedding, gathering) as a sporting event.

When watching sports, you see the ball/puck/whatever moving in a direction, you predict what's going to happen and hopefully you're right and you capture the moment when it hits the goal, net, another player, whatever....

Events are the same way. You watch people interact... you see the joke, story, interaction going in a certain way and you wait... wait for the punchline, the end, the reaction by others and you capture THAT. Not people just standing their, you capture how they react and act with each other.

Once I started seeing things that way, my photography turned a corner....

But when it comes to a wedding, the best advice I had was to capture it through "the misty eyes of the bride". Imagine how the bride sees things... her future, almost, now husband. The details. The family. The relationships. And try to capture that! Best advice I ever got for weddings. Now I make sure I capture all those little - and big - things related to all that was done with the wedding!

Finally, this is not advice I've gotten, but rather advice I'm giving. If you want to get better at capturing people (I sucked 3 years ago), take your camera to all family and friend functions. Figure out what works - watch interactions since you know people, watch for things to change, shoot a bajillion photos and try to predict what you can! It makes a HUGE difference taking photos of people you know. You can predict them so much more!

Anyway, sorry to be so verbose. That's what a glass (or two) of wine will do to you!

Hope all that helps! Remember - it's not just the shots, but how you SEE the shots before you grab them!
    Andi,

This is wonderful advice. I've been doing the "through the eyes of the bride" thing without really knowing it. I'm just a romantic softy and I shoot the moments that I find turn my heart to a softer sort of mush. Without really knowing what I was doing, it has been working - so far.

The other thing - the analogy to sporting events - this is so spot on. I'm going to have to put that into practice.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2007
    Andi,

This is wonderful advice. I've been doing the "through the eyes of the bride" thing without really knowing it. I'm just a romantic softy and I shoot the moments that I find turn my heart to a softer sort of mush. Without really knowing what I was doing, it has been working - so far.

The other thing - the analogy to sporting events - this is so spot on. I'm going to have to put that into practice.

Thanks!

Thanks, Scott! I'd love to take credit, but I can't... It was wonderful advice that I'm so glad I got and took to heart!

Thanks again!
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    I really like the idea of trating it as a sporting event. If you hear someone beginning a joke, wait for the punch line or end of the joke. I had never thought of doing that!

Great thread!! clap.gifclap.gif

May it forever be known that this was my 700th post at DGrin!
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2007
    Thanks to all of you for the great advice you are giving. I am listening!!!clap.gifclap.gif

Andi

The two photos you liked were ones that I either set up myself or saw as a photo begging to be taken.

The bride was SO stressed the I don't think there were very many smiles that were genuine. She was the daughter of my wife's first cousin and I was almost feeling sorry for her.

Again Thanks to all of you.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2007
    A B/W conversion to consider.

167994780-L.jpg