Options

Two moods of a child

jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
edited March 7, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
My personal model ... er, daughter ... was kind enough to allow me to try out my new reflector gear. Here are two of my favorite shots from the series.

IMG_0544_RJ.sized.jpg

IMG_0538_RJ.sized.jpg

I like how the different directions of the light help with the mood of each (although this was accidental in the second shot, I was having a hard time getting her to face the light source).
jim frost
jimf@frostbytes.com

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2004
    jimf wrote:
    My personal model ... er, daughter ... was kind enough to allow me to try out my new reflector gear. Here are two of my favorite shots from the series.

IMG_0544_RJ.sized.jpg

IMG_0538_RJ.sized.jpg

I like how the different directions of the light help with the mood of each (although this was accidental in the second shot, I was having a hard time getting her to face the light source).
    Beautiful girl Jim, whats her name? and how big were the reflectors and how far away and what color...
    Lynn
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Beautiful girl Jim, whats her name? and how big were the reflectors and how far away and what color...
    Lynn

Colette. The reflector was a Calumet brand 31" zip disc, using the stock white side (which is patterened with a little silver). In the first shot I think she was about 3 feet away, maybe a bit less. The second was closer to six feet. Shots were both 1/60th at f/4 and are unretouched. I have a bunch more shots with some commentary at http://www.frostbytes.com/gallery/portraits-2004.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2004
    jimf wrote:
    Colette. The reflector was a Calumet brand 31" zip disc, using the stock white side (which is patterened with a little silver). In the first shot I think she was about 3 feet away, maybe a bit less. The second was closer to six feet. Shots were both 1/60th at f/4 and are unretouched. I have a bunch more shots with some commentary at http://www.frostbytes.com/gallery/portraits-2004.

Nice lighting effects. Too bad mom wasn't around to clean up her snotnose first :lol
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Nice lighting effects. Too bad mom wasn't around to clean up her snotnose first :lol

I think it's more accurate to say "too bad dad was too concerned with his camera equipment to clean his daughter's face."

When I get the chance I'll post some of the after-shoot shots where she was licking the spoon from the cake mix. Choco-child!
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 7, 2004
    The first pic is nice. Even if she has the snot-nose-thing going, she's a
    cute littel girl.

Nice work on the lighting.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2004
    Looks like you're getting the hang of it. The second one turned out well.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au