Options

Canon Image Stabilization

mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
edited February 8, 2005 in Cameras
I know that many of Canon's IS lenses can't use IS when on a tri-pod. I also know that a handful of those lenses have a new IS mode that, when it detects its on a tri-pod, uses the IS to counter the effects of mirror-slap.

Is the 70-200/2.8L/IS lens one of those lenses?
Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
A former sports shooter
Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 8, 2005
    That's one of the newest technology lenses, so if this were the case, then yes. But how can IS help with mirror-slap? I don't understand the geometry on that...

It's fun to leave the IS turned on with my 28-135 w/tripod. The whole image moves in the viewfinder :D (probably not too good for IS, but i've forgotten more than once).
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    Your best bet is probably to enable mirror lockup (MLU), because I think that function is only available on the superteles, like the 400 IS and up.

from http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0007/cameracorner.htm:
    So, what's the big deal with the stabilized lens? Well, if I had shot a normal 400mm lens at 1/30th, even on a tripod, I would have been very lucky to get a sharp frame. Just the shutter bounce at that focal length would have been enough to blur the picture. Canon has added a new function that allows the IS super-telephoto lens to detect whether or not it's being used on a tripod. If it is, the lens goes into a new super-sensitive IS mode that's capable of correcting even subtle movements such as the slap of the camera's reflex mirror prior to exposure. This is precisely the capability I needed.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Your best bet is probably to enable mirror lockup (MLU).

Man I feel stupid... :(
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2005
    To add to the confusion, I just read this in the Canon Lens Brochure:

...the EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF400mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 500mm F/4 IS USM, and EF 600mm f/4L IS USM lenses have a mechanism that prevents having the Image Stabilizer turnedon while the lens is mounted on a tripod.

So I assume this means that they switch to the supersensitive IS mode that way. ne_nau.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 8, 2005
    fish wrote:

...the EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF400mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 500mm F/4 IS USM, and EF 600mm f/4L IS USM lenses have a mechanism that prevents having the Image Stabilizer turnedon while the lens is mounted on a tripod.

So I assume this means that they switch to the supersensitive IS mode that way. ne_nau.gif
    It's all a gimmick .... lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    wmsnyderwmsnyder Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    fish wrote:

This is from Canon's EF Lens Work III book. The lens uses a vibration gyro to automatically detect when it is mounted on a tripod.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 8, 2005
    wmsnyder wrote:
    fish wrote:

I think the 400mmDO IS has the same position 2 IS also.
    This is from Canon's EF Lens Work III book. The lens uses a vibration gyro to automatically detect when it is mounted on a tripod.

And yet when I shoot the 300mmF2.8 from a bean bag I leave the IS on in position 1, and it seems to continue to stablize the image as long as I have the shutter depressed halfway. And I suspect a good bean bag mount is more stable than a monopod in field usage. Even on a tripod, most long lenses are not locked into position but are gimbled on a Wimberly head or a Wimberly Sidekick. Thus they are not truly held sationary even on a tripod. ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I think the 400mmDO IS has the same position 2 IS also.
    So mode 2 is just for panning, as it only corrects vibrations and shaking in the direction at right angles to the camera's panning movement. Mode 1 corrects all vibrations no matter whether the camera is being held horizontally, vertically, or at an angle.

And yet when I shoot the 300mmF2.8 from a bean bag I leave the IS on in position 1, and it seems to continue to stablize the image as long as I have the shutter depressed halfway. And I suspect a good bean bag mount is more stable than a monopod in field usage. Even on a tripod, most long lenses are not locked into position but are gimbled on a Wimberly head or a Wimberly Sidekick. Thus they are not truly held sationary even on a tripod. ne_nau.gif
    Why wouldn't you use the supplied tripod ring? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 8, 2005
    fish wrote:
    So mode 2 is just for panning, as it only corrects vibrations and shaking in the direction at right angles to the camera's panning movement. Mode 1 corrects all vibrations no matter whether the camera is being held horizontally, vertically, or at an angle.

Yes, that is my understanding. I do not know where this stuff about IS correcting mirror slap came from. I do know you want to avoid 1/4 through 1/60 with long glass( >300mm) if you can because of vibrations from the mirror. Some SLRs have better damping of mirror slap than others. It is one of the things that no one mentions that is included in the 1 series cameras, for instance.

Why wouldn't you use the supplied tripod ring? headscratch.gif

Not sure I understand this question, Fish? The tripod ring plate IS mounted in the Wimberly gimbal head or a Wimberly Sidekick. The Wimberly gimbal head is used for 600mm and up lenses and is large and heavy to carry around. From the Wimberly website www.tripodhead.com
    Wimberly gimbal head wh-contrast-bw-color.jpg

The Sidekick is a smaller cantilever mount that slides vertically into an ArcaSwiss plate on a ball head on a tripod. The tripod ring in your lens is rotated horizontally and the lens then mounted as shown in this image of a Sidekick. I have used a Sidekick since last year when I went to Bosque del Apache and it is going back with me in a few weeks again.
    sk-contrast.jpgsk1.jpg

Large telephotos require good tripods and and good tripod heads to allow their eficient and effective use. The longer the glass, the less the ability to handhold - IS notwithstanding. I have used the Wimberly Sidekick on an Arca Swiss ballhead for most of my telephoto shots and recommend it highly. It is very well made.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin