A Rant For The Rest of Us!

2»

Comments

• Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Charles,

All I can tell you is that mods are people too. People working for FREE, i might add. Some of them are more sensitive than others. But the mods rule the roost. It's just a fact of forum life. Besides, is the title of your thread any more important than the content?
    I changed it right away with no argument about the change. Just thought the smilies were incompatible with the sentiment.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    cmr164 wrote:
    Given that smiie and the one flipping birds I was really surprised when a moderator wouldn't let me call fighting roosters "cocks", which after all is what they are called.

14436649-Ti.gif

cmr164 wrote:
    I changed it right away with no argument about the change. Just thought the smilies were incompatible with the sentiment.

:lynn lol3.gif
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    I don't know why I'm so dumb as to put my foot into yet another one of these. All computers os's suck eggs. All are crawling with bugs. All are limited in deep and frustrating ways. Different people adapt better to different systems. Many people really hate the idea of having to use more than one kind of computer (I like using different systems, but I know I'm odd.)

So why turn it into a religious war over and over again? These are tools and sometimes the hand fits the glove, the hammer hits the nail. Mostly, in my long experience, I'd say we (all software and hardware engineers and manufacturers) aren't really there yet.

It would be much more productive to have a thread about things that would be great for digital photography that no computer does right. My vote: the Dan Margulis expert system that can really help you nail color correction every time. I've been sort of working my way up to thinking about this for a few years, but the more I learn about what the prepress guys know, the harder it seems.

Or what about this: we like raw becaue it is lossless. We don't like it because it isn't really a format. Tiff and psd are huge. Jpeg2k looks good, but lossless jpeg2k is also huge. What about a format that really would preserve exactly the important information and not be huge. This is what jpeg and jpeg2k are supposed to do, but apparently they haven't succeeded.

This list is long. Where are the missing pieces of the digital darkroom? Identify them and you've done something creative. Bash any existing system and you are just stating the obvious. Hold up any existing system as being perfect and you are just showing your ignorance.

There, I said it, for all the good it will do. If I were really smart I'd avoid these things like the plague.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I don't know why I'm so dumb as to put my foot into yet another one of these. All computers os's suck eggs. All are crawling with bugs. All are limited in deep and frustrating ways. Different people adapt better to different systems. Many people really hate the idea of having to use more than one kind of computer (I like using different systems, but I know I'm odd.)

So why turn it into a religious war over and over again? These are tools and sometimes the hand fits the glove, the hammer hits the nail. Mostly, in my long experience, I'd say we (all software and hardware engineers and manufacturers) aren't really there yet.

It would be much more productive to have a thread about things that would be great for digital photography that no computer does right. My vote: the Dan Margulis expert system that can really help you nail color correction every time. I've been sort of working my way up to thinking about this for a few years, but the more I learn about what the prepress guys know, the harder it seems.

Or what about this: we like raw becaue it is lossless. We don't like it because it isn't really a format. Tiff and psd are huge. Jpeg2k looks good, but lossless jpeg2k is also huge. What about a format that really would preserve exactly the important information and not be huge. This is what jpeg and jpeg2k are supposed to do, but apparently they haven't succeeded.

This list is long. Where are the missing pieces of the digital darkroom? Identify them and you've done something creative. Bash any existing system and you are just stating the obvious. Hold up any existing system as being perfect and you are just showing your ignorance.

There, I said it, for all the good it will do. If I were really smart I'd avoid these things like the plague.

UH huh
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    rutt wrote:

nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Andy, you need this one :D

dedhorse.gif
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    Andy, you need this one :D

dedhorse.gif

thank you! i'm putting that into my arsenal :D
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    lynnesite wrote:
    (I'm off to central Cal till Monday sometime, all y'all just enjoy irreverent Mark's POV. ) rolleyes1.gif
    San Francisco Chronicle columnist

Man, I guess I'm done with humor here. This was supposed to be FUNNY. My title, "A Rant For the Rest of Us" was a take-off on Apple's old ad campaign which was a humorous poke at their own market share.

I also said "IRREVERENT MARK" in the message.

He writes a weekly IRREVERENT column, poking his stick at all manner of anthills and mountains.

I'm sorry about the folks that were offended. As someone who has worked the PC and Mac support trenches from 1986 on, I was terminally amused. IMO the willingness of Windows users to take this sort of abuse (oh, just reinstall your OS and apps) is as mystifying to me as it is to Mark.

Lynne
    retreating behind the barricade
    :uhoh
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    "mystifying"
    lynnesite wrote:
    .. IMO the willingness of Windows users to take this sort of abuse (oh, just reinstall your OS and apps) is as mystifying to me as it is to Mark.

Lynne
    That was an ingenious move - start the whole thing and leave the forum for a few days! Re5pect!!thumb.gif

Just FYI: Last time I had to reinstall my OS for the housekeeping purposes was around 1999, with an early NT4 WS. Din't have that problem since Windows 2000.

Although, I must say, I usually don't download unknown apps from the net and do not open strange emails. For this reason maybe never had a virus launched by me (corporate networks, unfortunately, are prone to this threat, as far as bored ladies at the reception desks are just eager to open an "I Love You" letter with a "this is a special gift 4 u" attachement ;-)

As to the "mystifying' part - I'd say, no more mistifying than a willinness of apple users to put up with the outrageous prices and the lack of choice. It's a give-take balance, each person opts for something.

--
    I totally dig the fun/humor part. But you know what they say, "one man's joke is another man's vendetta":-)

No harm done, no worries!iloveyou.gif

Cheers! 1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    lynnesite wrote:
    Man, I guess I'm done with humor here. This was supposed to be FUNNY. My title, "A Rant For the Rest of Us" was a take-off on Apple's old ad campaign which was a humorous poke at their own market share.
    lynnesite, it WAS funny. some pc'ers just don't laugh about stuff like that sometimes. :crazy

Please DO NOT stop posting jokes! In fact, the more the merrier.
    oh no you don't...get back here! :)
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson