Options

Just Back from Japan: Part II

jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
edited July 3, 2007 in Journeys
I hope having two threads going at the same time is not a major no-no on this board. If so we can always try to have them combined:thumb

Thanks for all the kind comments on part one!

After visiting the very packed festival we decided to check out Harajuku
by way of Shibuya

Everything in Japan seems to be ,as my wife would say, cute. Even the buses.

157679971-L-1.jpg

The police in Tokyo are much different than I'm used to here in the states. This young officer was pleading with this intoxicated man to get up and move on. He was naked from the waste down, hammered, and belligerent, but the officer spoke to him like he was talking to someone he respected. The social structure is intricate and wonderfully subtle. The officer may have been wishing to rap this guy on the cranium, but outwardly we would never know. Worlds apart from what may have happened here.

157679661-L-1.jpg

Hachikō was an Akita that became famous for coming to the station everyday to search for his late master during the 1920's (1923-1935 actually) and became a local icon for his devotion. His statue is one of the most popular meeting spots for young people.

158653864-L-1.jpg

The is some serious shopping to do in and around Shibuya...as my wife can tell you. The Bic camera there is about 8 floors of electronic goodness.

157680214-L.jpg

Harajuku is the Tokyo teen Mecca. I'm a immature 30yr old that usually feels pretty comfortable around younger folks...drinking contest-no problem. Video game death match-I'm in. Regardless, I felt ancient in Harajuku. A few steps behind on the hip scale...at least:dunno

Style is king. Fishnets and knee high leggings are big right now, as are Louis Vitton bags. Sometimes it seems like every Japanese teen (guys too!) were sporting thousand dollar handbags.

157680556-L.jpg

There was some really cool graffiti in the back alleys and shops.

157680989-L.jpg

157681846-L.jpg

Stores in the area sell all kinds of costumes that lots of teens walk around in.

158661021-L.jpg

Nothing to make you feel old like the first time you think, "my daughter will never leave the house in that!". I don't even have kids:scratch

One of the large attractions in Harajuku used to be these people in costumes that would congregate on a bridge by the train station. They would show up in droves every Sunday to be photographed together. I'm told that a street by the bridge was recently opened up to traffic and the Harajuku teens were told to no longer gather there. I was hoping at least a few of them were still there.

This young punker wasn't really wearing an impressive costume, but she was waiting on the bridge with the few people that were.

157682177-L-1.jpg

When I first asked her for a photo she was wearing this permanent scowl. The moment I said *picture* she smiled wide, made a little giggle, and then quickly resumed character.

Speaking of characters, my wife insisted on taking a photo with this young lad.

157681329-L.jpg

My father in law is a Japanese businessman who is begging me to let him leave the caption right now:rofl

Right across the Harajuku bridge is the walkway to the Meiji Shrine. It is dedicated to [SIZE=-1]Emperor Meiji and Empress Shoken who played a major part in the modernization of Japan and the abolishment of the Tokugawa Shogunate/ feudal system. The walk is a welcome change of pace from the Harajuku scene.

157687116-M.jpg

This Torii is 12meters tall is made of Japanese cypress and acts as the shrine gate. Its the largest of its kind in Japan and the wood is about 1500 years old.

157682807-L-1.jpg

Upon entering the Shrine area it is customary to cleanse you hands and mouth.

157683723-L.jpg

Man praying at the Shrine. Before he bowed silently in prayer, he tossed coins into the grates in front of him, clapped twice, and then stepped back.
157684597-L.jpg

View of lanterns around the perimeter of the Shrines square.

157684408-L.jpg

Wide angle view of the Shrine inner square

157685901-M.jpg

157685480-L.jpg

Prayers written on wooden block hang waiting to be answered.

157684887-L.jpg

157685053-L.jpg

Weddings are held regularly at the Shrine and if you're lucky the procession will walk right by you!

157686652-L.jpg

It was a beautiful procession at that! Although... the groom looks terrified to me:D

Thanks for hanging for another loooong post and stay tuned for the next episode: Tsukiji Fish Market!

-j
[/SIZE]

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    I'm diggin the trip Doc

look forward to the fish market thumb.gif

OH hi Wife, I think that maybe this is the 1st time I've
    seen you, although he spoke highly of you on all our little
    outings, Honest !! :lol

Side note some 38 yrs ago I was there and although punk wasn't IN :D
    your words and images helped me remember what a fine time I had
    as well, thanks.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2007
    bfjr wrote:
    I'm diggin the trip Doc

look forward to the fish market thumb.gif

OH hi Wife, I think that maybe this is the 1st time I've
    seen you, although he spoke highly of you on all our little
    outings, Honest !! :lol

Side note some 38 yrs ago I was there and although punk wasn't IN :D
    your words and images helped me remember what a fine time I had
    as well, thanks.
    Thanks so much Ben. Eriko (wife) says she's looking forward to me getting some manners and giving her and the Westies a proper introductionne_nau.gif

Despite her protests, I'll be sure to post alot more photos of her!rolleyes1.gif

-j
  • Options
    twinsrustwinsrus Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2007
    Thanks so much Ben. Eriko (wife) says she's looking forward to me getting some manners and giving her and the Westies a proper introductionne_nau.gif

Despite her protests, I'll be sure to post alot more photos of her!rolleyes1.gif

-j
    Just returned from Japan myself - 12 days with a tour of old people! Started in Tokyo, went to takayama, then Kyoto.

I took mostly tourist photos. Uploading to my webpage as I type.

I like your pics a lot. Going to look for your first post.
    Dick Fotoples
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 4, 2007
    Jeff:

Another great post full of nice pictures. thumb.gif

Hi Mrs. Jeff wave.gif
  • Options
    twinsrustwinsrus Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    What lens did you use? Love the DOF effect you did on some of them. Like I said, I took mostly typical tourist shots while you look like you were going for real specific stuff. Also, how did you get the sky so blue? We had great weather while we were there, but it wasn't that blue. I have an almost identical picture to one you shot at the festical - the lady at the food stall looking like she is completely wiped out. Took the same picture. Tokyo on Sunday, I believe. Didn't see the streakers, though the outfits the guys were wearing looked like jockstraps with a short robe on top.

Great pics!
    Dick Fotoples
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    edited June 4, 2007
    twinsrus wrote:
    Just returned from Japan myself - 12 days with a tour of old people! Started in Tokyo, went to takayama, then Kyoto.

I took mostly tourist photos. Uploading to my webpage as I type.

I like your pics a lot. Going to look for your first post.
    Thanks Dan! I keep trying to check out your Japan gallery, but its locked:cry

For almost the entire trip I used a canon 1DII N with a canon 24-70 2.8 lens. I used a 70-200 a few times one my last day of shooting just to compress a scene.

As for the skies, I generally do a curves color correction in LAB with photoshop and use some highlight /shadow recovery if I had to blow some sky highlights in order to preserve darker foreground detail. The are a few photoshop techniques for recreating graduated filters that I'm toying with, but I haven't really gotten a firm grip on them as of yet.

Thats crazy that we must have both been at the festival on the same day!

Thanks again for the kind coments!

-j
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    Jeff:

Another great post full of nice pictures. thumb.gif

Hi Mrs. Jeff wave.gif

Thanks Angelo! I just noticed your new titlethumb.gifLooks like I have been out of the loop(or just not paying attention againne_nau.gif). Nice work man!
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    Like your wide angles in the shrine...

btw, your statement of everything in Japan is 'cute'....This is just one aspect of Japanese culture that baffles me....and your observation is true, and for a westerner, very hard to understand...I suppose the best way to put it: cute is cool in Japan.

In the US, wearing a Harley Davidson shirt is cool, and no one would be embarrassed to do it. Likewise in Japan, except it is cute animals, not motorcycle logos. A guy wearing a shirt with a cute animal on it is not much different than the Harley Davidson shirt here in the US.

weird but true. (known as [FONT=arial,helvetica,univers]kawaii...google/wiki it)[/FONT]
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    I've been enjoying your photo tour, Jeff. I've been to Japan a few times and you're finding things very similiar to the way I did. Did you make it to the Akihabara (Electronics District)?
    Chris
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    Like your wide angles in the shrine...

btw, your statement of everything in Japan is 'cute'....This is just one aspect of Japanese culture that baffles me....and your observation is true, and for a westerner, very hard to understand...I suppose the best way to put it: cute is cool in Japan.

In the US, wearing a Harley Davidson shirt is cool, and no one would be embarrassed to do it. Likewise in Japan, except it is cute animals, not motorcycle logos. A guy wearing a shirt with a cute animal on it is not much different than the Harley Davidson shirt here in the US.

weird but true. (known as [FONT=arial,helvetica,univers]kawaii...google/wiki it)[/FONT]

Thats one of the reasons I feel like it was such a good trip for me culturally-its so very different, but most of the people are so polite that it makes for a safe environment to experience all the wonderful differences:D
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I've been enjoying your photo tour, Jeff. I've been to Japan a few times and you're finding things very similiar to the way I did. Did you make it to the Akihabara (Electronics District)?

Thanks Chris! I did get to Akihabara and it was amazing. We were with family friends so I didn't really get into full photo mode:D It was awesome though!
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    I always love seeing photos from people on Dgrin who travel to Japan. It is very likely I will be there this fall for a wedding, and I am (frankly) terrified about the language barrier. Nonetheless I think you captured their unique culture very well and I am no less enticed to travel to that side of the world.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited June 11, 2007
    I was going to say something about the multiple posts...just kidding :D:D

I think Japan would be a great place to visit. Wonderfully written too. I
    look forward to the next installment.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    Love the DOF on the prayer blocks!! great set of pics and beautiful colour/contrast...

B thumb.gif
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    What an interesting, well-photographed, and thoroughly documented thread, Jeff. I enjoyed reading this as much as I did looking at the pictures. And I finally understand what Gwen Stefani has been singing about.

Thanks.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    I always love seeing photos from people on Dgrin who travel to Japan. It is very likely I will be there this fall for a wedding, and I am (frankly) terrified about the language barrier. Nonetheless I think you captured their unique culture very well and I am no less enticed to travel to that side of the world.

Thanks Schmooo! The barrier is tough, but well worth the effort if you get a chance to pick up any Japanese.

My family is from B'more! I really did the urban adventure shots on your websitethumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    I was going to say something about the multiple posts...just kidding :D:D

I think Japan would be a great place to visit. Wonderfully written too. I
    look forward to the next installment.

Thanks Ian!

multiple posts? where?:tiptoe

Japan is indeed a wonderful place to visit, especially Tokyo. It is just such a busy place that there is a palpable energy to it...

Next installment on its way tonight!
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    Tommyboy wrote:
    What an interesting, well-photographed, and thoroughly documented thread, Jeff. I enjoyed reading this as much as I did looking at the pictures. And I finally understand what Gwen Stefani has been singing about.

Thanks.

Thanks Tom!thumb.gif
  • Options
    jcpjcp Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    Excellent photos, thanks for sharing. I will be in Japan in the next couple of days and can't wait.

Now, I'm going to look for Part 1 to enjoy as well :O)