Options

The Building I want to shoot

dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
edited February 9, 2005 in Technique
This is a building that is perplexing me. I want to shoot this building but short of getting on top of a roof somewhere I don't know how I'll be able too. Shot this really quick today with my 70-210mm f/3.5-4.5 Canon Lense. What do you think If I where to mount it on a tripod and shoot it for real? I would need a Different angle so I could fill up the frame more and try to get closer wouldn't I?

CRW_8491180.jpg
Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
www.zxstudios.com
http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 8, 2005
    This is a building that is perplexing me. I want to shoot this building but short of getting on top of a roof somewhere I don't know how I'll be able too. Shot this really quick today with my 70-210mm f/3.5-4.5 Canon Lense. What do you think If I where to mount it on a tripod and shoot it for real? I would need a Different angle so I could fill up the frame more and try to get closer wouldn't I?

CRW_8491180.jpg

I think you may need to get in front of or away from the wires. A nicer blue sky with fluffy cumulous clouds might help. Sun rising or setting might also help. And I think you need to get a lot closer. Snow might help too on a grey overcast day like this even...Be nice if there is a touch of color on that grey day too...
    2324716-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 8, 2005
    Why do you need to get on a roof? Is it an access thing or would a
    six foot later do the trick?

I think you need to get in front of the wires with something wide. But
    a roof top shot (sans wires) would be very cool too.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    Problem is this is a very industrial location and I am thinking in order for me to get this shot Im gonna have to tresspass, get on top of a roof to get things out of my line of site, or stand on the train tracks. An interesting building in a bad location. I will have to try some more shots I guess.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 8, 2005
    first thing I'd do is get myself to the other side of this building and look at it from a different angle, maybe from a point where there aren't so many objects in your line of sight.

how far away were you when you snapped this?

can you ask permission to enter the grounds for a shot?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    Geez, dragon, I can't tell a thing from your shot. Can you lower the camera a bit? naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 8, 2005
    path, your barn is AMAZING. How did you get it to POP like that? what was your EXIF?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 8, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    path, your barn is AMAZING. How did you get it to POP like that? what was your EXIF?

Angelo, I shot that last winter on a cold, blustery grey February day with my 10D and a Canon 17-40 lens. 40mm focal length, ISO 100, f 8, 1/180 in RAW

I converted it in Adobe Raw Converter and did a little curves and mild saturation boost in PC CS and that was it.

I am glad you liked it. I like the way the snow is blowing off the roof to the right and the yellow grace note of the equipment.- It looks COLD to me too. :D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2005
    Trespass?!?!
    Change your thinking here right away. Trespassing to get the shot is the worst possible thing you could do. It is also the hardest way of doing it too.

The smart and easy way of doing it is to simply contact the building owner and explain your project, arrange a short meeting to show some sample photos and further explain what you plan on doing. Maybe even offer to supply an 8x10 of the completed photo or something. Get permission and they may give you *prime* access.

Who knows, they may have been wanting some specific shots themselves. You could turn this into a paying project. Use your imagination :-)
    Problem is this is a very industrial location and I am thinking in order for me to get this shot Im gonna have to tresspass, get on top of a roof to get things out of my line of site, or stand on the train tracks. An interesting building in a bad location. I will have to try some more shots I guess.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie