Options

Now have XTi, please tell me if you've had any problems with yours.

KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited July 5, 2007 in Cameras
I now have the XTi and am wondering if anyone has had any issues with theirs. Or any suggestions for that matter. I know a new firmware was put out but mine came with 1.1.0 so I am assuming I don't need the 1.0.5.
TIA

Comments

• Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    no troubles with mine. enjoy your new camera! thumb.gif
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    Wonder what's the difference between 1.1 and the 1.04 that I have... :/
    Tips?
    Tweak the LCD to match the brightness of what you see on your monitor. If my LCD is at full brightness, then it's similar to overexposing by 2 stops. If I put it in the middle, it's just about right compared to what I see on my monitor, maybe a little to dark.
    This camera forces you to learn how to properly meter and use the histogram.
    Shoot RAW. My XTI tends to underexpose rather than overexpose.
    RAW saves it either way.

While it looked like this on my LCD, the histogram said there wasn't a picture :nono.
    166954094-L-1.jpg

When I put it on my monitor, it looked like this. I had to boost it up 2 stops.
    169171274-M.jpg

While it's not typical for me to underexpose by that much, it does happen. Other than that only thing I can say is enjoy!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2007
    I have noticed that I have to play with the exposure more than I did on the old digital rebel. It does seem to underexpose even though it is reading balanced.
  • Options
    theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    Error 99
    I had my XTi for exactly (almost to the hour) one week and in the middle of shooting some pictures at a local car show, it died. ne_nau.gif I hadn't even installed the software or taken more than 30 pictures.

It was hot outside, so I decided to see what I could do with it at home. The error code on the screen instructed me to power the camera off, remove the CF card and the battery. Nothing seemed to work, so I looked at the Canon site and the reference said, "Camera needs to be serviced from an authorized Canon service center." A friend (Beach Bill) did some further digging and found that people with the same problem were cleaning the lens contacts and were fine. Cleaning the lens contacts is supposed to bring up a different error code.

Anyway, I took the camera back to where I bought it and traded it for another. Thinking back, the first one may have been returned by someone else. It was missing the USB cable, but everything else looked new.

I wish Canon would package their boxes and seal them with something. I'm also glad I bought from a local retailer instead of gray market on the net because I would have been stuck with a new dead camera.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2007
    My XTI was sealed. I still have the box.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2007
    I noticed that the dpi is 72 with the XTi on L setting. The digital rebel always had 172. Any thoughts why?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,895 moderator
    edited July 4, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:
    I noticed that the dpi is 72 with the XTi on L setting. The digital rebel always had 172. Any thoughts why?

I believe that both the original Canon dRebel, 300D, and the 10D were 180dpi. I believe all modern Canon digital cameras are 72dpi, the same as most computer screens (maybe and depending ...).

Why Canon chose to change is a mystery. It most likely had to do with most digicams using 72dpi so they wanted to standardize, but the reason was never made public.

There is no in-camera setting, that I am aware of, that allows user adjustment of this value.

It should not make a difference in most applications, and it can easily be changed in most applications.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ire-davidire-david Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2007
    theNOIZ wrote:

I wish Canon would package their boxes and seal them with something. I'm also glad I bought from a local retailer instead of gray market on the net because I would have been stuck with a new dead camera.

Any canon slr i've ever bought had a clear round sticker on the box, sealing it.
    also on the digitals the manuals, software etc have been sealed in vacume/shrink wrap. these are european models though, it might be different in the U.S

By the way happy 4th of july to everyone
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I believe that both the original Canon dRebel, 300D, and the 10D were 180dpi. I believe all modern Canon digital cameras are 72dpi, the same as most computer screens (maybe and depending ...).

Why Canon chose to change is a mystery. It most likely had to do with most digicams using 72dpi so they wanted to standardize, but the reason was never made public.

There is no in-camera setting, that I am aware of, that allows user adjustment of this value.

It should not make a difference in most applications, and it can easily be changed in most applications.

Thanks, Ziggy. I know I can change it in Photoshop without a problem but it came as a surprise to see the difference. I am not quite as tech savvy as most in this regard and have decided to get myself up to speed. Instead of shooting in the Large/Fine 3.8 MP mode, I have decided to go RAW (which means more memory cards with my track record!!) I am not used to working with RAW files so not sure if my Photoshop Elements 5 program is still suitable for it. I noticed when I downloaded the RAW files that the organizer will not show them and you can not preview them in the thumbnail view when viewing the folder. Maybe I should try shooting Raw and Large/Fine? Any thoughts?

I poured over the manual which Canon provides and am waiting on my Magic Lantern guide to arrive, I find them much easier to read and process. I discovered the Auto Exposure Bracketing (yeah!) and the ability to go monochrome and spiea tone in camera (interesting) Wondering what else I will discover along the way mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2007
    ire-david wrote:
    Any canon slr i've ever bought had a clear round sticker on the box, sealing it.
    also on the digitals the manuals, software etc have been sealed in vacume/shrink wrap. these are european models though, it might be different in the U.S

By the way happy 4th of july to everyone

The box on mine was not sealed but the manuals and such were in a sealed package.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:
    Thanks, Ziggy. I know I can change it in Photoshop without a problem but it came as a surprise to see the difference. I am not quite as tech savvy as most in this regard and have decided to get myself up to speed. Instead of shooting in the Large/Fine 3.8 MP mode, I have decided to go RAW (which means more memory cards with my track record!!) I am not used to working with RAW files so not sure if my Photoshop Elements 5 program is still suitable for it. I noticed when I downloaded the RAW files that the organizer will not show them and you can not preview them in the thumbnail view when viewing the folder. Maybe I should try shooting Raw and Large/Fine? Any thoughts?

I poured over the manual which Canon provides and am waiting on my Magic Lantern guide to arrive, I find them much easier to read and process. I discovered the Auto Exposure Bracketing (yeah!) and the ability to go monochrome and spiea tone in camera (interesting) Wondering what else I will discover along the way mwink.gif

Sounds like you need the Camera RAW update for Elements 5.0.
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=40&platform=Windows

I use Canon's Utility, but CR2 files should be view and openable in PE5 if you use an updated Camera RAW. Because the file is bigger it may take a little longer for the computer to render the image.

2 GB card I get about 200 shots RAW, 450 shots jpg. I shot the fireworks yesterday and ran off 160+ shots holding the shutter down. I still haven't filled my card with shots using RAW.

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2007
    evoryware wrote:
    Sounds like you need the Camera RAW update for Elements 5.0.
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=40&platform=Windows

I use Canon's Utility, but CR2 files should be view and openable in PE5 if you use an updated Camera RAW. Because the file is bigger it may take a little longer for the computer to render the image.

2 GB card I get about 200 shots RAW, 450 shots jpg. I shot the fireworks yesterday and ran off 160+ shots holding the shutter down. I still haven't filled my card with shots using RAW.

Thanks! I was going to fork over $299 for a CS3 program but if that works I won't have to even though I would love to upgrade to CS3! But it is too rich for me right now.