Options

Summer Bridals

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited July 5, 2007 in Weddings
AS some of you know, I am working with this couple for an upcoming wedding. It is a freebie so I can decide if wedding photography is something I want to do in the future. She was very comfortable in these as compared to the engagement shoot, the joking around made it a pleasurable morning.

I had recieved a new toy in the form of a Canon 85mm F1.8 that I have been wanting for use in high school gyms the day before, and gave it a good test drive for these photos. It really shined at 3/4 length and tighter, and should be a gem for full lentgth shots of children.

C&C is always welcomed.

1. My favorite of the bunch

168792578-L.jpg

2. The color version

168792468-M.jpg

168792627-M.jpg

168792932-M.jpg

168792970-L.jpg

168793036-M.jpg

7. Backlit

168793152-L.jpg

168793219-M.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Comments

• Options
    JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    Jeff, I think you did a great job with your new lens. I just received an 85mm f1.4 and love it.

I like all your photos. The lens really did great on the backgrounds and she stands out in the photos. I think I would get a little tighter on #3. There is too much space at the top. I really like #7. You should tell her to smile more because she really has a beautiful smile. I have models that do the same. If they try to smile it looks forced but when you capture a natural one there is nothing like it. Overall #7 and #8 are my favorites.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2007
    JESTER wrote:
    Jeff, I think you did a great job with your new lens. I just received an 85mm f1.4 and love it.

I like all your photos. The lens really did great on the backgrounds and she stands out in the photos. I think I would get a little tighter on #3. There is too much space at the top. I really like #7. You should tell her to smile more because she really has a beautiful smile. I have models that do the same. If they try to smile it looks forced but when you capture a natural one there is nothing like it. Overall #7 and #8 are my favorites.

Thanks for the feedback, I agree with ALL of your comments. #3 does have a bit of empty space, however I have been caught cropping too close in camera to work out 8x10 or 11x14 size, so I try to set some shots up like this for the purpose of producing these types of crops. She indeed does have a pretty smile, in large part due to the dimples. I had a tough time getting shots of her smiling and holding her eyes open, as they tend to close when she smiles.

Thanks again for you comments and compliment.
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    Wow she should be pleased...these are fantastic.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    Wow she should be pleased...these are fantastic.

Thank You,

I will know soon enough. We spoke on the phone last night so I could give her the password to her photo gallery. She wants alarge print on display at her reception, so I tried to limit her choices to four, but also included some other fun shots for her to show her friends until the wedding.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2007
    So many lurkers, so few comments.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    thanks for the bump jeff, I meant to come back and give detailed feedback as I *really* like this set.

That 85mm is a sweet lens and I remember how amazed I was at the sharpness and bokeh when I first got mine! When you have enough room to use it, it is awesome. It looks like you had plenty.

1. I like your shooting angle, and her expression is sweet, but the fact that her head so close to the center of the frame bugs me a bit. I know you don't want to cut out more of her train but you didn't get it all in anyway, maybe crop on the left, and I think the composition could be improved. I like both color and BW versions, can't decide!

3. You posed her shoulders really well, and I am shocked that she was willing to sit in the grass before the big day! I can't see her eyes very well. I recieved the "you might want to use fill flash to brighten those eye sockets" critique myself just this week, and i'll pass that gem onto you! rolleyes1.gifFlower position: I've found if the brides hold the stem against their inside forearm, with hands under the bouquet, you see more of the flowers and less of her hand and stem. This could really improve #5, as we're seeing the green undersides of the flowers and not their "faces". Lucky for you, you still have the wedding to shoot! :)

4. LOVE this one. You nailed the focus on her eyes, and the blurred necklace indicates a perfect DOF. I love how you blew out the background, this one is amazing! Some catchlights would have made this even better, but you could probably add those in. Fantastic!!

5. I like this one, but think it needs some pop. I agree w/ you in your other thread that it doesn't need to be taken that far, but setting the white point might help? Also, I think selectively brightening her eyes would help a lot, if nothing else.

6. Not a fan, this is not a flattering expression...

7. My favorite of the bunch. Love the backlighting (but, I ALWAYS love backlighting! rolleyes1.gif) her expression is gorgeous, natural, carefree, elegant. Colors and composition all work well. Some may be bothered by her hands being cut off but I don't mind, although (this sounds weird) you may want to crop the top even tighter, so it looks purposeful. Sometimes I'll "evenly" amputate, it can actually detract from the mistake in the first place. (feel free to pull the BS flag, JMHO!)

8. Really like this one too. Actually, this is a great full-length approach that I may steal. I don't like full lengths that are "head on", the brides tend to look uncomfortable and forced. This shot turned out really nicely, it's definitely a winner.

Overall I am really impressed with how even your light and accurate your color is in the overwhelmingly green and shaded setting. Did you use reflectors?

She's a gorgeous, gorgeous bride, and I can't wait to see the wedding shots! Good luck!

lynne
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    I'm sorry I missed your thread. This is a very nice set. She should be well pleased with these.

I like the black and white version of #1 the best. On a shot like this I would have turned her upper body a bit more towards the camera so that you are not shooting into her shoulder. Brush the veil back over the close shoulder, keeping it draped over the far one.

#7 is my favorite of the bunch. It's beautiful and so is her smile. If she picks that one for the large print, do a little touch up under the eyes to lighten the dark areas.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    thanks for the bump jeff, I meant to come back and give detailed feedback as I *really* like this set.

That 85mm is a sweet lens and I remember how amazed I was at the sharpness and bokeh when I first got mine! When you have enough room to use it, it is awesome. It looks like you had plenty.

1. I like your shooting angle, and her expression is sweet, but the fact that her head so close to the center of the frame bugs me a bit. I know you don't want to cut out more of her train but you didn't get it all in anyway, maybe crop on the left, and I think the composition could be improved. I like both color and BW versions, can't decide!

3. You posed her shoulders really well, and I am shocked that she was willing to sit in the grass before the big day! I can't see her eyes very well. I recieved the "you might want to use fill flash to brighten those eye sockets" critique myself just this week, and i'll pass that gem onto you! rolleyes1.gifFlower position: I've found if the brides hold the stem against their inside forearm, with hands under the bouquet, you see more of the flowers and less of her hand and stem. This could really improve #5, as we're seeing the green undersides of the flowers and not their "faces". Lucky for you, you still have the wedding to shoot! :)

4. LOVE this one. You nailed the focus on her eyes, and the blurred necklace indicates a perfect DOF. I love how you blew out the background, this one is amazing! Some catchlights would have made this even better, but you could probably add those in. Fantastic!!

5. I like this one, but think it needs some pop. I agree w/ you in your other thread that it doesn't need to be taken that far, but setting the white point might help? Also, I think selectively brightening her eyes would help a lot, if nothing else.

6. Not a fan, this is not a flattering expression...

7. My favorite of the bunch. Love the backlighting (but, I ALWAYS love backlighting! rolleyes1.gif) her expression is gorgeous, natural, carefree, elegant. Colors and composition all work well. Some may be bothered by her hands being cut off but I don't mind, although (this sounds weird) you may want to crop the top even tighter, so it looks purposeful. Sometimes I'll "evenly" amputate, it can actually detract from the mistake in the first place. (feel free to pull the BS flag, JMHO!)

8. Really like this one too. Actually, this is a great full-length approach that I may steal. I don't like full lengths that are "head on", the brides tend to look uncomfortable and forced. This shot turned out really nicely, it's definitely a winner.

Overall I am really impressed with how even your light and accurate your color is in the overwhelmingly green and shaded setting. Did you use reflectors?

She's a gorgeous, gorgeous bride, and I can't wait to see the wedding shots! Good luck!

lynne

Thank you bunches for the critique.

I am impressed by the lens, but got away with being carried away by it. I should have used my other lenses while shooting these and went with what I know. I was just so excited about the new glass and what I was seeing in the lcd that I never swapped.

I bought a plastic drop cloth of the type used for painting at walmart. Once we spotted her on it in a good place, we carfully folded it under her skirts. I insisted on Bridal portraits for several reasons....No. 1 being that I have never done wedding photography and wanted to be able to give her some photos taken in my light, on my terms so that if all else fails she will have these. My explanation to her was that the guy who hung the lights in the church was probably NOT a photographer. I'm sure they will be fine, but these were as much for me as for her.

I would like to see an example of the flower hold/pose you suggest.

I actually lightened under and around the eyes in all of these. She has a gorgeous smile...dimples and all....but closes her eyes while doing so. Add to that the Louisiana summer heat, heavy makeup etc and her eyes were very dark. I agree that the could use more work in some of the shots.

My faves were 4,5,and 7......which you seemed to like as well. I think our tastes are much the same anyway as we usually pick the same favorites.

8 was actually a fairly tough shot. I at first tried using fill flash, but it wasn't working out so I went back to AV mode and set my DOF and then just started walking the exposure compensation up a third of a stop at a time. I think....if I remember correctly how shocked I was , that this shot was 1 1/3 stops over. This accented the backlighting, and pulled the dark shadows off her front side. She was posing for another photographer when I took it, from a totally different angle. I have gotten enough good shots while folks pose for others that I am going to put a P&S in my bag so that if there is a third party at the shoot I can get them to distract the pose like this. Just having them look to the north doesn't give the same results.

Thanks again, I have another post I wanted to hear from you on. I will bump it if I can find it. It is urban, right up your ally, and waaaaaay cute.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2007
    I'm sorry I missed your thread. This is a very nice set. She should be well pleased with these.

I like the black and white version of #1 the best. On a shot like this I would have turned her upper body a bit more towards the camera so that you are not shooting into her shoulder. Brush the veil back over the close shoulder, keeping it draped over the far one.

#7 is my favorite of the bunch. It's beautiful and so is her smile. If she picks that one for the large print, do a little touch up under the eyes to lighten the dark areas.

Thank you, I like the BW of 1 as well. I shot thes poses from every imaginable angle and agree with your comment. I just thought she had a peace abot her in this particular one.
  • Options
    JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    Jeff, What part of Louisiana do you live in? I understand what you mean by the heat and humidity. I used to live there and my two kids still live in Lafayette. Lots of excellent photo ops around there.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2007
    JESTER wrote:
    Jeff, What part of Louisiana do you live in? I understand what you mean by the heat and humidity. I used to live there and my two kids still live in Lafayette. Lots of excellent photo ops around there.

I am in Baton Rouge. We actually sent her wedding planner while taking these photos off to get us some bottled water and cups of ice. The few shots I used a flash on wouldn't work due to her perspiration/ blown highlights. we kept dabbing her off to keep her dry, and tried to work fast.

There are some very good places and faces to photograph here. I know of some antebellum home ruins I would like to get access to. The gardens are mostly intact, and the only thing left of the home are the front steps, and the huge brick and plaster columns that graced the front of the home.

Where are you now? If you like people photography you should come home to some festivals.