How Much Memory?

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited January 14, 2004 in Cameras
How much memory do you lug around when you're shooting?

I've got a G3 and am on memory overkill... a 1GB flash card, a couple of 512s plus a 250 (And that 125 that came with the camera... it gets very lonely.) Kinda sick, huh? :woof: I run out of batteries well before I run out of image storage space. :eh:

So how much do you tote? And have any of you decided to go for a portable drive so you can just download your shots and minimize the flash card count?
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• kbasakbasa Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2004
    I've just got a 256MB card and a spare 32MB. That's enough for the stuff I shoot. I've never come close to filling the 256.
    What's this button do?
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2004
    Do you remember how many shots it shows for your S400? When I put the 1GB in my G3 it shows 700-800 shots, if I recall correctly.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • kbasakbasa Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2004
    Set to Superfine and M1 (1600 x 1200), it forecasts 246 pictures. That seems about right as pics at that level are usually ~1MB. If I switch the pic size to large, I get 123 ( 2272 x 1704). Clicking it down to M2 (1024 x 768), it'll take about 431.

If I go to Normal resolution (sorry, ain't gonna happen) and Small, it'll yield 2272 pics.

Nutty. Absolutely nutty.

For what I shoot, the first combination above, S and M1, is perfect.

dave
    What's this button do?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2004
    hey wax. i carry around 1gb - 1.5gb for a full day of shooting. if i'm going to be really busy from dawn to dusk i'll take my little laptop with me, to off load. it's about 2 lbs...
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2004
    oh - i'm also looking at that belkin add-on for my ipod - heard there were a few probs with the early version so i'm just waiting a bit. i have a 30gb ipod, so i could really just leave 5gb or so free on it and then not ever have to worry ;)
    wxwax wrote:

I've got a G3 and am on memory overkill... a 1GB flash card, a couple of 512s plus a 250 (And that 125 that came with the camera... it gets very lonely.) Kinda sick, huh? :woof: I run out of batteries well before I run out of image storage space. :eh:

So how much do you tote? And have any of you decided to go for a portable drive so you can just download your shots and minimize the flash card count?
    edited January 9, 2004
    That iPod solution seems like a great one -- listen to some tunes and when it's time, suck in 1 or 2 gigs of shots, then back to the tunes. Great idea. thumb.gif
    Sid.
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    I too hope that Belkin can make the ipod card reader work well. For now I transfer to my laptop and backup on my ipod.
  • longwallmanlongwallman Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 10, 2004
    How much memory? What/where to buy?
    The only experience I have with digital cameras is occasional use of a Sony Mavica 1.3 at work (accident investigations).

What would be a good, easy to use, digital camera (with at least 256 card) and batteries in the $300 - $400 range.

I need it for Tans-Canada/Stanley Stomp 04 trip this year so that I can post a ride report for Advrider.
  • aj2aj2 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    I too hope that Belkin can make the ipod card reader work well. For now I transfer to my laptop and backup on my ipod.
    From what I've heard, it works just fine, but it's slow. That's not that big a deal since it won't be a primary storage device, just something you use when you run out of room on your flash card. It might be handy on vacation or something, but more often than not I have my iBook with me anyway, so who knows?
  • aj2aj2 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

I only carry a 512mb for my Canon S45. On the "finest" setting, it's good for over 250 pix, I use something like 1.8 or 1.9mb per photo. Running out before I can download has never been an issue for me.
  • MarcMarc Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    I have a 1GB SanDisk Ultra II in the camera most of the time. I've got two cheapo 256MB cards in the bag "just in case". However, that iPod idea seems sweet - I've got a 20GB unit that's about 2/3 full - can you post a link to any sites talking about the Belkin successes?

Thx.

M
  • BMWRiderBMWRider Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    I carry two 128MB Memory Sticks for my Sony and the original 16MB Stick that came with the camera. Shooting at fine resolution and 1600X1200 pixels size, I can squeeze 133 shots onto each 128meg Stick. So that's 266 pics on the two Memory Sticks for, say, a vacation trip, which is more than I need.
    Photographs are memories.
    edited January 10, 2004
    Marc wrote:
    I have a 1GB SanDisk Ultra II in the camera most of the time. I've got two cheapo 256MB cards in the bag "just in case". However, that iPod idea seems sweet - I've got a 20GB unit that's about 2/3 full - can you post a link to any sites talking about the Belkin successes?

Thx.

M

I saw this site, where a guy seems happy with how it turned out. A nice Q&A session.

ipodreader0.jpg

I don't have a laptop, and am not likely to buy one to tote on the road just to download photos. Cheaper and more portable for me to have lots of extra memory... or maybe, when things get small enough, something like the Belkin/iPod deal.
    Sid.
  • LoadedagainLoadedagain Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    i cary two 512's and a 256. Have never filled both 512's so its more than enough. My old Olympus d2020z goes everywhere with me and has never failed.... even in the ugliest off road motorcycling spills.
  • John MacdonaldJohn Macdonald Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    I love my little canon elph
    My S200 elph is wonderful.
    I also have the underwater case for it. The tiny Canon point-shoot camera is just great.
    There are plenty of optional settings on it, I can set exposure and shutter times for long exposures, light balance, file size... or just run it in full auto mode and it just works great on it's own.

The current model of it is (I think) the S230. More megapixels, but for what this thing does, and what I'm asking of it, the 2.whatever megapixel resolution if it is more than adequate. Writes tons of files on a 256mb card too.

The camera is about the size of a hard pack of filter cigarettes.
    I take with me almost everywhere. The housing is all metal, tough and relatively light weight.

The price is good too, it uses CF cards, and the batteries are great performers and are quite cheap. Not a bad little package if you ask me. I spent for it and haven't regretted it a bit since.

The only experience I have with digital cameras is occasional use of a Sony Mavica 1.3 at work (accident investigations).

What would be a good, easy to use, digital camera (with at least 256 card) and batteries in the $300 - $400 range.

I need it for Tans-Canada/Stanley Stomp 04 trip this year so that I can post a ride report for Advrider.
    edited January 11, 2004

If you're going to be posting to the web, you don't need super high resolution. So you don't need to spend $$$ on multi megapixel cameras.

Since you're also traveling, I'd be looking for something rugged, decent optical zoom, 2-3 megapixels, good battery life, good lens. In addition, I believe you buy cars from carmakers and cameras from camera makers. So I'd tend to stick with brands that are established in the camera biz.

A couple which might fit that description:

5351102_ra.jpgOlympus Camedia 3.2-Megapixel Digital Camera

Canon PowerShot 3.2-Megapixel Digital Camera 5722337_ra.jpg

I'd also look at online reviews before buying.
    Steve's Digicams
    dpreview

Sid.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited January 11, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

Waxy,

I'm gonna go with never use a card larger than you are willing to lose the
    pictures from. Forces you to "spread out". If you're cool with losing the contents of the 1Gigger', that's a good size.

I'm shooting with 2x 512MB for the 10d and 128MB plus a 64MB in the
    S50.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited January 12, 2004
    Ian, I know that many others share your philosophy. And maybe I will too the first time that I lose a card! Hasn't happened so far (after all, it stays in the camera, so if I lose the card I'll be bumming more about losing the camera!) And I like the "no fuss" of not having to mess with changing cards, worrying about running out of memory.
    Sid.
    edited January 12, 2004
    I too shoot with mainly 1gig cards, depending on the camera I use I get between 100-250 shots per card. I feel fairly safe with 1 gig cards and I usually shoot more with digital, so it might be a lot of frames but much fewer scenes.
    edited January 12, 2004
    Patch, thinking about getting one of the new 3 or 4 GB microdrives? Wink2.gif

4gb.jpg
    Sid.
    edited January 12, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Patch, thinking about getting one of the new 3 or 4 GB microdrives? Wink2.gif

It is nice that they can make them that large, but I will take 2 of 4 GB CF instead, less to break with no moving parts.
  • Doh!Doh! Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2004
    less is more
    I carry less memory but more cards. I've had some bigger cards go south and it's a waste of $$$.

Another thing I do is erase the cards and immediately re format the card. They seem to last longer that way and since I've been doing it, no corruption.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited January 14, 2004
    Just remember. Microdrives, regardless of their size, are spinning disks.
    That takes power to keep the drive spinning and to spin it up.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Mike WernerMike Werner Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Just remember. Microdrives, regardless of their size, are spinning disks.
    That takes power to keep the drive spinning and to spin it up.

Ian
    Except that they don't spin the whole time, just when you need to store or read. I've not noticed any battery drain over the normal memory cards.
    Mike Werner
    Paris, France

http://news.motorbiker.org/