• DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    Great tutorial
    lynnesite wrote:
    Something for the Mac Man that has everything:
    Your own silhouette, Apple-style

or, make your own!

Lynne

Thanks Lynne -- that was a really neat tutorial! Of course I know how to do this already, but I did pick up a tip or two by reading the tutorial!
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Did anybody mention Macaroni yet? (the atomic bird kind, not the pasta kind).

I love Macaroni. It's in my Macintosh Maintenance Page, so yes, it was mentioned here and here, but unfortunately, not here, as in this thread.

Way to go Fish! Macaroni rocks.

;)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2005
    Sorry if this one's been posted... I've been following, but may have missed it.

You can turn on spell check in Safari. I avoid many embarassing mistakes this way when posting to dgrin and other internet communities.

From within Safari go to Edit--> Spelling--> Check Spelling As You Type.

Piece of Pie.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2005
    gregneil wrote:
    Sorry if this one's been posted... I've been following, but may have missed it.

You can turn on spell check in Safari. I avoid many embarassing mistakes this way when posting to dgrin and other internet communities.

From within Safari go to Edit--> Spelling--> Check Spelling As You Type.

Piece of Pie.

now * that's * useful.
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    now * that's * useful.

Now that you have two macs, have you looked at getting a dot mac account?

It has a few cool features, one is that you can sync all you Safari bookmarks between your computers (along with syncing some other items). It will keep your mac address book, ical, online and your bookmarks too, so if you get to a computer, but don't have yours, you can log in and get to that info. It is helpful to have access to your bookmarks if you are at a friend's house and cannot remember that web address. There is also a lot of handy iapp integration, easy posting of imovies and it gives you storage online (idisk) for files other than photos (photos too, but not as slick as SM).

If you use it often it is money well spent.

(If you are going to sign up PM me and I can give you my referral info, they give referrers a credit and you get 60 days free to try it. :D )

http://www.mac.com/1/memberbenefits.html
    edited February 5, 2005
    thanks for this one, but i do prefer to have the dock disappear. :D

DavidTO wrote:
    OK, here's nother unsolicited tip.

The Dock. Cool. Snazzy. Maybe a little too snazzy?

Here's my tip. You can access all of the dock prefs by right clicking on the divider. If you just plain ol' click on the divider, you can drag and resize your dock.

Here's what I recommend: turn off hiding and magnification. It's just too hard to chase the dock around, and all the icons just get too squirrely. Then place the dock where you want it (left, bottom, or right) and make it as small as you can (and still see it well enough for it to be useful.)

That's it. Just take some of the bells and whistles off of your dock, and make it unobtrusive.
    edited February 5, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Now that you have two macs, have you looked at getting a dot mac account?

It has a few cool features, one is that you can sync all you Safari bookmarks between your computers (along with syncing some other items). It will keep your mac address book, ical, online and your bookmarks too, so if you get to a computer, but don't have yours, you can log in and get to that info. It is helpful to have access to your bookmarks if you are at a friend's house and cannot remember that web address. There is also a lot of handy iapp integration, easy posting of imovies and it gives you storage online (idisk) for files other than photos (photos too, but not as slick as SM).

If you use it often it is money well spent.

(If you are going to sign up PM me and I can give you my referral info, they give referrers a credit and you get 60 days free to try it. :D )

http://www.mac.com/1/memberbenefits.html

thanks patch. i'm considering .mac - but i won't avail myself of ical or the addybook so not sure if i need it. we'll see :D
  • JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2005
    Here's a cool tip...have OSX make a web gallery!

Open a new Finder window.

Go to [Boot Drive]---»System---»Library---»Image Capture---»Automated Tasks...

(note: System THEN Library. NOT Hard drive then Library)

Inside this folder, you'll see "Build Web Page."

Drag the "Build Web Page" icon to your Dock to create an alias.

Open a folder that contains a bunch of JPEGs.

Select as many as you want and drag them, en masse, to the alias you just created.

Voilà! You have just created a photo gallery web page, with thumbnails and links to larger images. This page should show up—with all files gathered together in a folder—in the same folder you dragged the image files from.

A quick sample of what you can do:
    http://www.mac-yak.com
    edited February 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    thanks patch. i'm considering .mac - but i won't avail myself of ical or the addybook so not sure if i need it. we'll see :D

signed up for .mac - i like the iDisk function, that'll come in handy for me.
    edited February 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    signed up for .mac - i like the iDisk function, that'll come in handy for me.

can't hurt to try the 60 day trial.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited February 8, 2005
    how come, none of you....
    ... told me about application switcher? cmd+tab is great, i used that all the time in windows.
  • JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    I was going to tell you about that....but figured you would like it more discovering it on your own. ;)

yeah...that's the ticket. :D

Address book has some cool features. Here are 3.

Right click (or Control + Click on mouse) on the phone number of someone in your Address Book and choose Large Type and you get this:
    (note, I edited it, but it appears over everything on your monitor)
    465gij.jpg

Right click on someone's address and this appears:

gdfs74.jpg

Right click on someone's iChat name and you can select to talk to them.
    edited February 8, 2005
    Hey, that large type come up when you use Launchbar, too.

My favorite shareware utility.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • T_S__GarpT_S__Garp Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 8, 2005
    I'm not stupid
    I asked a simple question
    All I got was a smarmy response!

CAN WE USE CROPPING IN A NO PHOTOSHOP CHALLENEGE....THE RULES DO NOT OUTLINE CROPPING. ATLEAST THEY DON'T TO THE NEWBIE. ALL THE THINGS THAT ARE ALLOWED SEEM FAR MORE SERIOUS THAN CROPPING SOOOO...........??????????????????????????????????????

*** when we have a no-photoshop challenge, the following applies ***
    only basic editing is allowed. this includes minor adjustments in color, contrast, exposure, sharpness. black and white conversion is allowed (including toning for same). that's it - no cloning, filters, special effects, etc

Sorry if this comes across a rude but I've been trying to find the answer for this for an hour and all I got from someone was "READ THE RULES" ...I'm aggrivated, SORRY.
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    T_S__Garp wrote:
    I asked a simple question
    All I got was a smarmy response!

CAN WE USE CROPPING IN A NO PHOTOSHOP CHALLENEGE....THE RULES DO NOT OUTLINE CROPPING. ATLEAST THEY DON'T TO THE NEWBIE. ALL THE THINGS THAT ARE ALLOWED SEEM FAR MORE SERIOUS THAN CROPPING SOOOO...........??????????????????????????????????????

*** when we have a no-photoshop challenge, the following applies ***
    only basic editing is allowed. this includes minor adjustments in color, contrast, exposure, sharpness. black and white conversion is allowed (including toning for same). that's it - no cloning, filters, special effects, etc

Sorry if this comes across a rude but I've been trying to find the answer for this for an hour and all I got from someone was "READ THE RULES" ...I'm aggrivated, SORRY.

Yes. Minimal cropping is allowed to straighten horizons. If you do crop, you need to state that with your entry.

In the future, do hot hijack a thread with your rant. Please start a new one.

Thanks
    Dave
    edited February 9, 2005
    andy wrote:
    ... told me about application switcher? cmd+tab is great, i used that all the time in windows.

I found a new tip today and feel really dumb for not knowing about it or trying it.

If you are in a Safari window, say looking at some super long posts and need to find a word, the find feature will do that in a window, do I feel dumb I never tried that. I had cut and pasted in to word docs to do it.

command-F (set and do first find) command-G to find next.
    edited February 9, 2005
    or, even better ...
    dkapp wrote:

Thanks
    Dave

pm the host? deal.gif
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2005
    dkapp wrote:

Shouldn't that line include at least one of the following smilies?

:whip:splat:grim:thwak:hung:hack

:)
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited February 16, 2005
    Andy, Apple wants to hear from you (and any other switchers from PC to Mac :D). ear.gif

http://www.apple.com/switch/tell/us.html
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    Gee, I'm a long time Mac user...
    patch29 wrote:
    I found a new tip today and feel really dumb for not knowing about it or trying it.

If you are in a Safari window, say looking at some super long posts and need to find a word, the find feature will do that in a window, do I feel dumb I never tried that. I had cut and pasted in to word docs to do it.

command-F (set and do first find) command-G to find next.

I never even thought to use the find command that way! Didn't know about command G either... Geesh! rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 16, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    I never even thought to use the find command that way! Didn't know about command G either... Geesh! rolleyes1.gif

yes, thanks patch and dee,
    cmd-g is cool
    edited February 18, 2005
    david and lynne you guys rock
    david was after me to get disk warrior, so that if ever i had a disk problem i could easily repair... well of course i *intended* to get it, but never did. then i had a power failure in the middle of my disk writing, which causes things to go a bit kerflooey. i thought i was hosed, but no! lynne and david said, hang in there, get disk warrior, and run it.

well, after getting the proper version of disk warrior for my g5 system, it took all of 90 seconds to repair and restore what i thougth was a fried 250gb hard drive.

this happened to me once before in the pc world, and i recall a long time working on it with a battery of experts, and then finally i had to send the disk away, paid $50 to have someone restore it. they sent it back, unrestorable.

anyhow, get disk warrior, i'm impressed clap.gif
    edited February 18, 2005
    andy wrote:
    then i had a power failure in the middle of my disk writing, which causes things to go a bit kerflooey.

Time for one of these, not sure how much power you need for the G5 and 30", but it will save a lot of headaches. nod.gif
    edited February 18, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Time for one of these, not sure how much power you need for the G5 and 30", but it will save a lot of headaches. nod.gif

you guys just love reaching into my wallet, dont you? :uhoh
    edited February 18, 2005
    andy wrote:
    you guys just love reaching into my wallet, dont you? :uhoh

Not me. :D You are bringing the 400/2.8 to Yosemite? thumb.gifclap.gif1drink.gifumph.gif
    edited February 18, 2005
    andy wrote:
    david was after me to get disk warrior, so that if ever i had a disk problem i could easily repair...

Actually, don't wait until you have a problem, run it periodically and repair problems before they become noticeable.

So glad it worked out OK.

And the UPS is a great idea. You just need one that will give you enough juice to save and shutdown properly.

And yes, who's money could be more fun to spend than yours?
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited March 3, 2005
    Fish, how long does it take to process a 20D raw file in C1 on you imac?

Anyone else running C1 on a Mac? What are your processing times, camera and computer specs? ear.gif

My friend did a test today on his G5 Dual 2.5 and it took 7.5 sec/file for a 1DmkII to an 8 bit tiff, on my 1ghtz Powerbook it takes about 105 sec/file. I really need a new computer, but the towers is very pricey. I have become very adept at setting a batch up to run overnight in C1.
    edited March 3, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Fish, how long does it take to process a 20D raw file in C1 on you imac?

Anyone else running C1 on a Mac? What are your processing times, camera and computer specs? ear.gif

My friend did a test today on his G5 Dual 2.5 and it took 7.5 sec/file for a 1DmkII to an 8 bit tiff, on my 1ghtz Powerbook it takes about 105 sec/file. I really need a new computer, but the towers is very pricey. I have become very adept at setting a batch up to run overnight in C1.

I run Capture One on a Mac (it's no longer C1, BTW, as they found that they were infringing on the use of the name).

I have a dual 2ghzG5 and a 1ghz Titanium Powerbook. I haven't done any scientific testing, but I can tell you that the G5 goes fast, and the Powerbook goes slow. I guess this means that if you get the iMac G5, it'll go at a pretty good clip.

As you can tell, my POV is, don't worry about it too much, unless your livelihood depends on speed, get what you can afford. The answer to the question is the iMac G5 fast enough is yes, it is, if that's what you have it's fast enough.

Maxing out your RAM is a good idea, as Capture One's speed will improve with more room.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited March 3, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I run Capture One on a Mac (it's no longer C1, BTW, as they found that they were infringing on the use of the name).

I have a dual 2ghzG5 and a 1ghz Titanium Powerbook. I haven't done any scientific testing, but I can tell you that the G5 goes fast, and the Powerbook goes slow. I guess this means that if you get the iMac G5, it'll go at a pretty good clip.

As you can tell, my POV is, don't worry about it too much, unless your livelihood depends on speed, get what you can afford. The answer to the question is the iMac G5 fast enough is yes, it is, if that's what you have it's fast enough.

Maxing out your RAM is a good idea, as Capture One's speed will improve with more room.

Odd I did not know that I am on C1 PRO 3.6.1 and that is how it is listed. ne_nau.gif

I have a gig of ram on my PB. A new G5 dual 2.5 would be a stretch, but if I did get it I should not need a new machine for a long time. I really like the PB & PM setups so I can run dual displays. I wish they made a pro-imac with PB like features, mainly a second out for another monitor, until they can make a G5 PB (that is really what I want and I am waiting for, sort of). I would like to see how the imac does speed wise, if it were close in speed I might make the move up to it.
    edited March 3, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Odd I did not know that I am on C1 PRO 3.6.1 and that is how it is listed. ne_nau.gif

I have a gig of ram on my PB. A new G5 dual 2.5 would be a stretch, but if I did get it I should not need a new machine for a long time. I really like the PB & PM setups so I can run dual displays. I wish they made a pro-imac with PB like features, mainly a second out for another monitor, until they can make a G5 PB (that is really what I want and I am waiting for, sort of). I would like to see how the imac does speed wise, if it were close in speed I might make the move up to it.

You might want to check out the Pictureflow Mac Platform Forum, which may provide better info.
    Moderator Emeritus