Options

Raptors

RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
edited July 9, 2007 in Wildlife

Comments

• Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2007
    Awesome portraits. I know these are injured animals but the one owl missing an eye looks like he's winking. I hope all are rehabilitated well.
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2007
    Maestro wrote:
    Awesome portraits. I know these are injured animals but the one owl missing an eye looks like he's winking. I hope all are rehabilitated well.

thx Stephen

that little guy lives there and he is very cute (& small)

170460407-L.jpg
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2007
    170460122-M.jpg

thumb.gif excellent.
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2007
    Wow, what gorgeous shots bowdown.gifbowdown.gif What happened to the eye of an owl?
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2007
    Ric Grupe wrote:

thumb.gif excellent.

thx Ric
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Wow, what gorgeous shots bowdown.gifbowdown.gif What happened to the eye of an owl?

thx Marina....
    not sure but he lives at this rehab/hospital for raptors
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2007
    Beautiful Bokah and birds, which lens?
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2007
    CookieS wrote:
    Beautiful Bokah and birds, which lens?

thx
    nikon 80-400vr w/ sb800 flash
    the 80-400 is not well suited for motion since it is not an afs lens but has outstanding IQ and very underrated bokeh
  • Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2007
    Very nice captures. I like the 2nd and the last the most.

Thanks for sharing,

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2007
    Beautifull photos Randy! thumb.gif Wish you had left the legs in on the first Peregrine shot though!
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2007
    Very nice captures. I like the 2nd and the last the most.

Thanks for sharing,

Dick.

thx dick
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2007
    Beautifull photos Randy! thumb.gif Wish you had left the legs in on the first Peregrine shot though!

thx Glenn

me2
  • Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2007
    awesome series!!:ivar
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Options
    UNCTEPUNCTEP Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2007
    thx Marina....
    not sure but he lives at this rehab/hospital for raptors

My wife and I are volunteers at the Carolina Raptor Center (where these photos were taken). Most of the birds there are brought in after collisions with cars, which I think *don't quote me on this* is what happened to the screech owl. Some are able to be released back into the wild - those whose injuries prevent them from being able to survive in the wild live permanently at the Center and are well cared for. Other raptors that have been brought in are habituated (because someone tried to raise them and now they "think" they are humans and wouldn't survive in the wild), getting caught in barbed-wire fences, babies falling from trees, or worst of all from gunshot wounds inflicted by some serious morons.

If anyone is ever in the Huntersville/Charlotte area it's well worth the $6 admission to be able to get pretty close to the birds. Saturdays and Sundays presentations are held where you can get some nice photos (as seen in this thread!). Saturdays during the summer months they even have free-flight shows, where you can get buzzed by a Great Horned Owl and others.

Oh - and every spring the Center hosts an event called Photo Wild, where some of the permanent residents are brought out into more natural settings and photographers can get some outstanding shots. The event is closed to the general public, but you still have to make a reservation as it fills up quite quickly (a small fee of course is collected).

But anyways, great shots all around! Sorry to hijack the thread somewhat, just wanted to share some background on the Center.
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2007
    UNCTEP wrote:
    My wife and I are volunteers at the Carolina Raptor Center (where these photos were taken). Most of the birds there are brought in after collisions with cars, which I think *don't quote me on this* is what happened to the screech owl. Some are able to be released back into the wild - those whose injuries prevent them from being able to survive in the wild live permanently at the Center and are well cared for. Other raptors that have been brought in are habituated (because someone tried to raise them and now they "think" they are humans and wouldn't survive in the wild), getting caught in barbed-wire fences, babies falling from trees, or worst of all from gunshot wounds inflicted by some serious morons.

If anyone is ever in the Huntersville/Charlotte area it's well worth the $6 admission to be able to get pretty close to the birds. Saturdays and Sundays presentations are held where you can get some nice photos (as seen in this thread!). Saturdays during the summer months they even have free-flight shows, where you can get buzzed by a Great Horned Owl and others.

Oh - and every spring the Center hosts an event called Photo Wild, where some of the permanent residents are brought out into more natural settings and photographers can get some outstanding shots. The event is closed to the general public, but you still have to make a reservation as it fills up quite quickly (a small fee of course is collected).

But anyways, great shots all around! Sorry to hijack the thread somewhat, just wanted to share some background on the Center.

What you guys do at the center is remarkable and most impressive. I became a member after my 1st visit and go often to shoot the birds. Thanks !
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2007
    dbaker1221 wrote:
    awesome series!!:ivar

thx Dave