Options

Inspiration and creative juices

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited July 11, 2007 in The Big Picture
i'm often asked: "how do you do it?" or "why did you shoot the scene that way?" or "what goes into such a composition?"

it's a funny thing about photography, and perhpas a reason why i like it so much. ask me to draw a picture of anything, and i looks like it was done by a one-legged cat with an itch. i'm serious, i cannot create a single meaningful drawing of anything. but i know what i like when i see a painting or a photograph, or sculpture or tapestry or architecture. but i only need about 2 or 3 seconds to see a scene or angle or subject and the bells start going off in my head - shoot this! it's a photograph you want to take! it's really weird. i can't sing a note either, but i'm drawn to all types of music, from jazz to blues to rock, to electronica to classical. strange.

one thing i do as far as inspiration, as i'm composing the photograph, i try to imagine it 16x20 hanging on my wall. i really strive to get it right at the time of shoot. sure, i apply the basics, we all do that. one of the really cool things about digital is that you can shoot the same scene as many ways as your memory will allow shots. i think that i've benefited from a lot of experimentation. anytime i'm trying something new, i'll shoot a dozen different compos - and bracket those. soon after, i start zeroing in on what works best for that particulary scene or subject, and then i'm more comfortable doing fewer shots and approaches.

as far as other inspiration? i get it from many sources. i love to read fine art photography magazines, and i tear into the ny times every day. my wife has heard me on more than one occassion, yelling at the photo editor of the new york times :rofl :rofl :rofl

i devour other people's photographs. i love the work of the past greats, and i'm also constantly reviewing the best of today's fine photographers.

one of my favorite old-timers is elliott erwitt

and here are two of his works that i'm just mad about, and would give baldy's right arm to own :D

1654104-M-2.jpg

1654106-M-2.jpg

as far as contemporary photographers, there are so many i couldn't possibly pick one "best" but here's one guy that's really got it together, jim fuglestad.

here's a couple from him that i really really love:

26289815.jpg

26290271.jpg

i have about 100 or so galleries in my favorites, and i never tire of checking them out again and again.

so, what about you? how do *you* do it? i would love to hear how you "get your creative juices going" and how you "nail the shot." also, if you have an "old" and a "new" photographer that inspires you, would you be so kind as to link the gallery, so we can all benefit?

enjoy (finding your inspiration and never running out of creative juices) photography,

Comments

• Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2004
    I am very new to the world of photography so I have many sources to draw new inspiration from. I just have not had the chance to study the works of the greats. But from excellent threads like these and quality sites like this I am learning and developing my own tastes and discovering many things I would not have found on my own.

I am interested to see the lists of photographers people find interesting so I can pursue finding books about them and their styles.

There is a whole world out there for me to discover.mwink.gif

Tim
  • Options
    tmshotstmshots Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2004
    I am new to photography as an art form, and I learn from it everyday when I look at other peoples shots. Sometimes I look at them (postings here) and wonder how it was they could capture something so simple and yet say so much. I'm disabled and so find it difficult at times to get around like many of the people here do. And sometimes I'll just stop working to go out and try to capture something I can only hope would enspire someone else. I too have no artistic abilities and am stuck punching away most the day writing code and compiling what I call my works of art.

I like to use photography as a means for escaping my computer and thinking of algorithms and psudo code. I dont really know of any famous photographers but jumping into this starting to shoot models has introduced me to many (what I feel) really good photographers. This forum itself has been an inspiration and informative. I can not draw or carry a tune to save my life but hope to be able to show some abilities in this through pictures.

I find it difficult sometimes to see what may be a really impressive shot or even what avenues to approach in my shooting. I can only hope to someday be remembered as being someone who tried to capture a moment in time or have at least tried at it. I look towards most of you and a friend who photographs as well to point things out or give another eye, even to just say nice shot. From mentors as well peers we can always use that little bit of "How does this look?". For with my experience with programming, someone will always be able to see it in a different light and maybe even a better one.

Great posting start Andy, you are one of my inspirations...
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2004
    Great thread, Andy. I need more time to write, but I shall return!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i'm often asked: "how do you do it?" or "why did you shoot the scene that way?" or "what goes into such a composition?"

it's a funny thing about photography, and perhpas a reason why i like it so much. ask me to draw a picture of anything, and i looks like it was done by a one-legged cat with an itch. i'm serious, i cannot create a single meaningful drawing of anything. but i know what i like when i see a painting or a photograph, or sculpture or tapestry or architecture. but i only need about 2 or 3 seconds to see a scene or angle or subject and the bells start going off in my head - shoot this! it's a photograph you want to take! it's really weird. i can't sing a note either, but i'm drawn to all types of music, from jazz to blues to rock, to electronica to classical. strange.

one thing i do as far as inspiration, as i'm composing the photograph, i try to imagine it 16x20 hanging on my wall. i really strive to get it right at the time of shoot. sure, i apply the basics, we all do that. one of the really cool things about digital is that you can shoot the same scene as many ways as your memory will allow shots. i think that i've benefited from a lot of experimentation. anytime i'm trying something new, i'll shoot a dozen different compos - and bracket those. soon after, i start zeroing in on what works best for that particulary scene or subject, and then i'm more comfortable doing fewer shots and approaches.

as far as other inspiration? i get it from many sources. i love to read fine art photography magazines, and i tear into the ny times every day. my wife has heard me on more than one occassion, yelling at the photo editor of the new york times rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

i devour other people's photographs. i love the work of the past greats, and i'm also constantly reviewing the best of today's fine photographers.

one of my favorite old-timers is elliott erwitt

and here are two of his works that i'm just mad about, and would give baldy's right arm to own :D

as far as contemporary photographers, there are so many i couldn't possibly pick one "best" but here's one guy that's really got it together, jim fuglestad.

here's a couple from him that i really really love:

i have about 100 or so galleries in my favorites, and i never tire of checking them out again and again.

so, what about you? how do *you* do it? i would love to hear how you "get your creative juices going" and how you "nail the shot." also, if you have an "old" and a "new" photographer that inspires you, would you be so kind as to link the gallery, so we can all benefit?

enjoy (finding your inspiration and never running out of creative juices) photography,
    Andy thanks so much for posting those links, specially jim fuglestad. Sitting here with my morning coffee Ive spent a lovely hour looking at every one of the photos. I'm totally inspired and deep down know that my instincts are good even if my experience and knowledge is limited.. his photographs speak volumes and we should follow our gut feelings and not get too tied up in techno stuff.
    Thanks again for a lovely photographic trip.
    Lynn
    p.s. this was one of the first pictures I took and I look at it and I don't know... can you tell me what it is I don't know?? maybe it's took contrived?
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2004
    Contrived? Not at all, it's a lovely photo. Nice black and white contrast, good range of light, soft misty light, yet sort of a starkness to it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2004
    So Andy, you asked us what drives us creatively.

I'm somewhat like you in that I cannot draw. Something inside me occasionally gets the urge to try, but the results are dismal. It takes hard work, because the natural talent's not there. Nor do I have 'the eye' that really talented photographers have. I've had the privilege of meeting a few in my work, and I know the difference.

And yet I am an intensely visual person. My memory for images is better than my memory for people, places or things. I really enjoy looking at images, especially photographs and drawings. I confess that paintings still don't excite me, although I am slowly grasping the universality of composition, lighting and color.

My first attempts at photography were exciting but not very good. However, years of exposure to video of varying excellence has taught me some basics about what makes a good image. And so I've been getting closer to developing an instinct about composing a decent shot. I'll never be as good as the folks who have an 'eye' for it. But maybe I can fake it enough to get some enjoyment out of it. By the way, this is why I believe that while there's no substitute for being born with a natural 'eye', one can learn to develop a modicum of visual skills.

What really drives me is creativity, not aptitude or talent. I really enjoy making something. I like to cook (empty 'fridge notwithstanding!), take pride in writing, and in photography I can combine my excitement about creating something with my love for images. That's what drives me.

And so I will spend a great deal of time fretting over an image. I will shoot it six ways from Sunday, and at different exposures. Interestingly enough, I often find that my first shot is the best composed. This tells me I should trust my instincts more, instead of over-analysing the shot. (When I was using the G3, I used a tripod all the time, which helped with layering in Photoshop. Now that I'm using a dSLR, I find I'm doing much more handheld shooting, partly because the camera's quicker, partly because the device is already quite bulky, and setting-up a tripod adds to the laboriousness of the process. I think this is hurting my shooting.)

When I shoot, my focus is on composition. That's probably because in the world of news and videotape, which is my background, the sophisticated use of lighting is usually a secondary concern. And so my biggest area of growth is in lighting. As with composition, it's not instinctive, so I'll have to teach myself. Similarly, when I look at great photos, I think more about composition than I do lighting. And yet clearly lighting is a huge part of the shots.

Andy, you asked about old masters whose work we enjoy looking at. I'm not well educated about this, and only one photographer really stands out: Henri Cartier-Bresson. I'm endlessly fascinated by his composition, his people, the moments he catches... and his use of light. As for modern photographers, I can't name one who really stands out for me, but again, that's due to my ignorance. I buy lots of magazines, and pore through the photographs. Sometimes I understand what's going on, sometimes I don't... and sometimes their creativity leaves my mind in the dust.

As Zero-Zero once said, if you want to grow you have to surround yourself with great work.
    Sid.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

I'm somewhat like you in that I cannot draw. Something inside me occasionally gets the urge to try, but the results are dismal. It takes hard work, because the natural talent's not there. Nor do I have 'the eye' that really talented photographers have. I've had the privilege of meeting a few in my work, and I know the difference.

And yet I am an intensely visual person. My memory for images is better than my memory for people, places or things. I really enjoy looking at images, especially photographs and drawings. I confess that paintings still don't excite me, although I am slowly grasping the universality of composition, lighting and color.

My first attempts at photography were exciting but not very good. However, years of exposure to video of varying excellence has taught me some basics about what makes a good image. And so I've been getting closer to developing an instinct about composing a decent shot. I'll never be as good as the folks who have an 'eye' for it. But maybe I can fake it enough to get some enjoyment out of it. By the way, this is why I believe that while there's no substitute for being born with a natural 'eye', one can learn to develop a modicum of visual skills.

What really drives me is creativity, not aptitude or talent. I really enjoy making something. I like to cook (empty 'fridge notwithstanding!), take pride in writing, and in photography I can combine my excitement about creating something with my love for images. That's what drives me.

And so I will spend a great deal of time fretting over an image. I will shoot it six ways from Sunday, and at different exposures. Interestingly enough, I often find that my first shot is the best composed. This tells me I should trust my instincts more, instead of over-analysing the shot. (When I was using the G3, I used a tripod all the time, which helped with layering in Photoshop. Now that I'm using a dSLR, I find I'm doing much more handheld shooting, partly because the camera's quicker, partly because the device is already quite bulky, and setting-up a tripod adds to the laboriousness of the process. I think this is hurting my shooting.)

When I shoot, my focus is on composition. That's probably because in the world of news and videotape, which is my background, the sophisticated use of lighting is usually a secondary concern. And so my biggest area of growth is in lighting. As with composition, it's not instinctive, so I'll have to teach myself. Similarly, when I look at great photos, I think more about composition than I do lighting. And yet clearly lighting is a huge part of the shots.

Andy, you asked about old masters whose work we enjoy looking at. I'm not well educated about this, and only one photographer really stands out: Henri Cartier-Bresson. I'm endlessly fascinated by his composition, his people, the moments he catches... and his use of light. As for modern photographers, I can't name one who really stands out for me, but again, that's due to my ignorance. I buy lots of magazines, and pore through the photographs. Sometimes I understand what's going on, sometimes I don't... and sometimes their creativity leaves my mind in the dust.

As Zero-Zero once said, if you want to grow you have to surround yourself with great work.
    I think you have a lot of talent. You underestimate yourself sid..
    and thanks for the comments on my lonely tree.. I look at it and still don't know.:D
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I think you have a lot of talent. You underestimate yourself sid..
    and thanks for the comments on my lonely tree.. I look at it and still don't know.:D

Then try making the tree itself blacker, without changing anything else. ne_nau.gif Just a wee bit blacker. See if that makes a difference. But I still say it's a very nice shot that takes advantage of the contrast between the gentle white mist and the bold dark tree.
    Sid.
  • Options
    WolfWolf Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Then try making the tree itself blacker, without changing anything else. ne_nau.gif Just a wee bit blacker. See if that makes a difference. But I still say it's a very nice shot that takes advantage of the contrast between the gentle white mist and the bold dark tree.
    I am going to have to agree with the waxster here Lynn, that is a lovely shot. I am sure there are many things that can be done to change it, but really, why? I would buy that print, mounted and matted. Then, place somewhere special!
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

great post, waxy. i like what you said about your "first shot being the best one." i find this to be oh-so-true. and, have you ever tried "going back to improve a shot?" for me, since so much of my stuff is situational, it just doesn't happen.

i enjoy getting into your head here and seeing what's in there! thanks clap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2004
    thanks shakey for ..
    Shakey wrote:
    I am very new to the world of photography so I have many sources to draw new inspiration from. I just have not had the chance to study the works of the greats. But from excellent threads like these and quality sites like this I am learning and developing my own tastes and discovering many things I would not have found on my own.

I am interested to see the lists of photographers people find interesting so I can pursue finding books about them and their styles.

There is a whole world out there for me to discover.mwink.gif

Tim

your contribution here. i hope you are inspired lately!
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2004
    what inspires me...
    Well this is a very interesting thread and I love readin about what drives other people to create what they create. My inspiration to create images is also rooted in the same problem alot of others have stated in here. I cant draw to save my life. I can barely even read my own handwriting. I have always loved good artwork without ever really knowing what that means. I know what I like and alot of art has captured my eye over the years. Photography all began for me in high school when I took a photography class for a few semesters. I bought a used minolta x700 and some cheap lenses, that was all I could afford, and went on to learn how to take pictures the right way, IMO manually, develop the film and then learn the art of printing it. This was a strictly B&W class which I absolutely loved. Not that much of what I took was actually good. ne_nau.gif Before this I never imagined the amount of control a photographer hlds over what the final outcome of a picture will be after the picture has been taken. Long story short I got hooked on photography and have never looked back.

Another aspect of my inspiration is that my father is also a very avid photographer and has been since before I was born. Around the time I was taking that photography class he got really into speed graphic's and large format photogrpahy. That was at the time way over my head, but I was captivated by what he was able to do with one. I wish I had some of them digitized cause they are inspirational.

Well that was my foundation, my ispiration now is that I love looking at great photographs. I love looking at a particularly striking image and just stopping short and not knowing what to say. One that just grabs you and says look at me cause I say more than you ever could. Wow, I dont know where that came from. Smugmug provided me with a way to share my pictures with more than just the person sitting next to me and then finding DGrin opened a new world to me as to being able to view other peoples art and help them with it as well as the ablility to share my work and gain loads of knowledge on how to make it better all at the same time.

Now I am just getting back into this seeing as I have not been very active in trying to create great images in about 8 years. But I find myself looking at everything in the way that I wonder how that would best be composed. I think I do something similair to what andy said in the first post of this thread. I have found myself without even realizing it looking at everything and sizing it up on if it would make a good picture or not. It just kinda happens with me.

Now I dont I know I am basically just starting out, again, but I thought I would share with you all how I look at photography and how I try to create the best images possible. Hopefully I will be doing just that in the weeks to come as I go through learning how to use my new toy.

Mike
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2004
    A few things to add
    Something I forgot to include in my last post.. artists that inspire me. I have to say my biggest inspiration has been the Ansel Adams calnder that my mom has gotten fro my dad every christmas since I can remember and the hangs up in the kitchen. Love all his work as im sure most of you do also. My father has turned me recently on to a contemporary of Ansels named Ernet Knee. This is one of the only places I have been able to find his work

http://www.editionsfineart.com/ed3.html

Of living photographers, Marcel De Jong has to be one of my favorites. He does some pretty incredible things with his camera.. which incidentally is a Sigma SD9. Thats how I heard about him in the first place. I think you al will thoroughly enjoy his work.

http://www.pbase.com/mdejong

Mike
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2006
    Bump!

Who can add to this thread :D
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2006
    Here:
    http://www.darwinwiggett.com/galleries.html

He should inspire you, if not, please call 9-1-1 :D
  • Options
    fotodojofotodojo Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Bump!

Who can add to this thread :D

Ohh inspiration. My take is a tad different - I never go and study drawn/painted art too closely for the fear that somehow I'll end up plagiarising other people's work in my own in some way.

It's a little different with photography for me. Usually I'll visit popurls.com once a day, they have a "best of flickr" rss feed they consume on the page - I quite like have a quick look at what's out there, mostly for the technical aspects of the shot ("ohh that is a cool effect" type stuff). Sometimes I try it - mostly I don't.

Perhaps the complexity of most shots (location, people, lighting, photographer, etc) means that I am not worried about accidentally "recreating" a photo - not sure. I'm slowly learning how to spot compositions that "work" (well, for me at least) but really that sort of thing seems to come with experience - like when you can focus on the compositons rather then worrying that you plugged all the bits in =).

I guess the attached file is a little in that vain - I had a pose in mind that I had seen somewhere (probably a magazine) and I used it in this shoot. But this was my first real fashion type sposed shot so I was worrying about a zillion other things at the same time - On reetrospect there are a few things I don't like about the below, nothing I couldn't fix in post but next time I'll make sure I blur out the background more and take a note of creases in the clothing and so on =).

Just my 2c worth.
  • Options
    JimFuglestadJimFuglestad Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    This is a heavy thread first thing in the morning. :)

And thank you, Andy, that is truly an honor to inspire anyone.

When I got into photography a little over 5 years ago, I didn't know any other photographers. None in hisotry, and none current. My first exposure to photograpphers was on STF, where I was inspired by people like here - and some of them ARE here.

I was inspired by Shay (first person to ever reply to one of my Internet posts), Ulysses, camera slug, amy (drabbit), yehuda, zipperz, MFC, etc, etc...

Inspiration at that time was not what I needed as much as I needed collaboration and education. And to have some fun doing it... I can't even begin to name names about that group... many of them are here, and it's fun to see all the familiar names.

Community in photography is very important as it's generally such an independent hobby/profession. Friendships among colleagues... that is inspirational... the acts on personal levels every day inspires me.

Over the past 5 years I have become intensely interested in the work of historical photographers. While I appreciate the work of them all, I'm inspired by few... true inspiration is hard to come by and comes from sources and time least expected - but seldom while you're actually looking for it.

I have four historical photographers that have struck me stone cold with their work and their stories...

- Alfred Stieglitz
    - Bresson (duh, you'd have to be dead)
    - Sally Mann
    - Diane Arbus

Currently my inspiration isn't just driven by the message of a photo or body of work... it's just as driven by the message of the photographer, their business sense, and their ambition and creativity.

A few of them are:

John Michael Cooper (www.altf.com) Incredible creativity...
    ecker (www.thebecker.net and www.thebecker.com) An acquired taste... truly loves what he does and it shows every day
    Jesh de Rox (www.jeshderox.com) Up-n-coming amazing talent and heart... and genuine as they get
    David A Williams (www.davidwilliams-heartworks.com) Can't say enough about David as a photographer, as an educator, and as a friend. GO to one of his workshops if you're able.
    Cheryl Jacobs (www.cheryljacobsphotography.com)
    Bruce Dorn and Maura Dutra (http://www.idcphotography.com/) Just finally met them last week... inspirational in work and life!)
    Jim Brandenburg (www.jimbrandenburg.com)

Gosh... guess there are a lot, cuz I could keep goin' and goin'...

Cool thing is the circles we travel in are pretty small... and there are emerging photographers every day... the inspiration hasn't even scratched the surface of what's out there.

Fun thread Andy.

Jim

Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
    Live as if this is all there is.
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    The great people here are my inspiration. I'm just starting to learn the names of the historical and contemporary greats. I started about a year-and-a-half ago and have focused on nature photography. When I saw a friend's SmugMug site, I started looking around and ran across Andy's site. I am amazed by his street and landsape work and that got me re-ignited to be a more creative photographer. I joined SmugMug, started hanging around here and now if I want to quit my job and photograph full time.

The links given in this thread are really interesting. Jim, your work is truly inspiring. I must have gone through every one of your shots and started seeing new possibilities for shots that I couldn't see before.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    Inspiration
    This was a great thread to read through and hearing others stories is part of my inspiration.

I started out- unlike everyone else so far- with the ability to draw both pencil and pen and ink, as well as a grasp of clay and sculpture. When I was drawing I had the great idea to take my own b&w photos, print them to 4x6, and then draw them to a much larger scale. During this process I wandered into a pawn shop and picked up an AE-1 with a lens for $50.00 and went out shooting. Being in a small town my school did not offer photography and my father was not into it- so I learned by trial and error. I went from getting 2 decent shots out of 24 to getting 15-20 in about a years time. I also learned to do basic developing.

Ansel Adams was my primary inspiration because of not only his focus on landscapes but also the use of black and white film and the emotion or mood that I get by viewing his work.

Besides him I do not know many other photographers besides those here on dgrin. My work, being a single dad, and recently going back to college to get a degree or two limits my time to read and view others work.

I must admit that I fought "going" digital for the longest time because I could tell the difference by looking at a printed piece. My dslr purchase was more about my dissapointment in a p&s digital camera I used on a vacation with my son. Right after that trip I went out and bought my E-500.

Today my inspiration is mostly an internal drive to constantly improve. I still have not taken a single class on photography so I do not worry about following the "rules" and often shoot a subject multiple times from different angles, but I am also guilty of being impatient, not waiting for the right lighting or not doing the proper preperation and research before shooting. I think my art background helps with composition or having an eye for it. Being that I have also not taken any classes on post processing I try to get it right when I shoot it- so sometimes I get it and sometimes I fail. Thank god it is not film $$$ rolleyes1.gif

I am still learning as I go but with the dslr I have been able to expand my photography by shooting my landscapes, family vacations, sporting events, and has led to actually making money by shooting family photos and assisting a wedding photography company.

This website, the contests, Nikolai's assignements, and the comments I get from friends, family, and other photographers helps fuel that internal drive and keep me shooting. You are all part of my inspiration!

Thanks!!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    where do i get my inspiration and creativity, hmmmmm......

Well, there is one thing ive been doing lately that helps me. i have a lot of free time at work and i often go to google images and type in some "theme" or idea and then i look at the images posted. when i see an image i like i first try to guess what f-stop and or shutter speed they must have used ( i know i cant get the info but it helps me to "think technically". I then try to imagine if i was taking the image what would i do differently. I like to think in terms of "bryan peterson's" framework: story telling apertures, singular subject isolation etc.... and in my mind i plan the aperture and shutter speed i would use. this exercise ( if it can be called that ) has at least improve my technical skills ( i hope ) and gives me all kinds of ideas for themes...... and then i go out and try it! Shay a long time ago told me in a thread, the way to improve / to learn is to "shoot". I'm now looking more at photography books that are mostly pictures rather than text ( which is great for me since i dont like to read ).

I also like to go back and look at the old "STF" ( for those who know what they are ) challenges for ideas..

troy
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    As you know I am 2.5 years old I have not seen many photographers but I like many photos but don’t know who shot them …
    Dgrin is source of all informations and inspirations
    Nat geo’s Reza ,Steve Meccury, Karen Daves they made me to get a cam then I joined stf loved work their they all became my favorite most of them are here now .Only Bvcuma is not here I hope he starts posting here .

When shooting I am thinking photo should make waves around the world lolD
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2007
    Inpspiring piece I found in Rangefinder Magazine:

http://www.rangefindermag.com/magazine/Jan07/showpage.taf?page=171
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Inpspiring piece I found in Rangefinder Magazine:

http://www.rangefindermag.com/magazine/Jan07/showpage.taf?page=171

Good piece. It must have come out just before you turned we grinners on to that magazine. :D Now to go find the ritual that gets me going... headscratch.gif
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    No classroom here either, though there were two workshops in 2006. Digital in '99, pro mid 2003. Shifted from mainly left-brained to now mostly creative, the business side comes hard now. Conflicted about being a pro. Constantly inspired by the journey rather than the destination photography is. I must confess to not paying a lot of attention to what other people are doing. Probably not to my advantage. I am one of those who shoots still as a hobby despite it being my profession, always eager to pick up a camera even on days where I've shot 1,200+ frames for business. Now lusting after a better body (who isn't?), put that deposit down on a MK III yesterday, but horribly conflicted about spending That Much Money. Yeah, I've got the great glass already.
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    My Karma ran over my Dogma...
    Some days my logical, analytical side runs roughshod over my artistic, creative side… and visa-versa… Other days both sides of my brain work in harmony to create some nice works.

I started my photographic journey in 2000 when I decided to change careers in the Navy… For fun I picked Photography and attended the Defense Information School of still Photography in Ft Meade MD… I worked as a Photographer/Photojournalist in the US Navy until I retired in 2004… After 20 years in the Military I still need to make a living so I took the more comfortable route and work for someone else… I tried to start my own business but was to uncomfortable with it, I admire those who shoot for a living, and are able to make a living at it… Now I simply shoot photography as a hobby concentrating more on the art than the nuts and bolts of shooting to make a living… This is limiting in the simple fact that I have a job which takes up a lot of my time… So if I pursue photography it has to be a conscious effort on my part…

In the past when I had a camera in hand most of the time, weather on assignment or not, I always ran across wonderful shots of opportunity… The moment I see a shot is when my inspiration and creative ability kicks in and takes command… So it isn’t necessarily other people’s images that inspire me the most… inspiration comes more from what I see and how I see the world around me… Even with the advent of digital, I won’t know weather or not I captured “THE” shot… or just a good shot that I saw in my minds eye until I review the images on the computer…

“THE” shot… (You know, the one that will make the photographer famous, the shot that inspires and amazes anyone who gazes upon it) is another topic of discussion… I have never taken one myself…

Winston