Options

Testimonial

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited February 10, 2005 in Technique
It occured to me, at about 03:00 today, I have without question, become a full-fledged DGrin JUNKIE!!!!

I can't eat, sleep or work without having the site up on my computer. At 05:00 this morning, when I would normally be waking to start my day, I realized I had hardly slept thanks to all the info available on this site and referenced sites that I just wanted to keep reading.

I can easily admit I have learned more in the two weeks I've been a member here than in years of photo hobbying.

This site is comprised of a great group of people all of whom are so very willing to assist each other and pat each other on the back. I will continue to find myself challenged to meet the standards upheld amongst true craftsmen. Thanks for the fun... and the bloodshot eyes.

ps: I now own a new flash unit and have nikon capture on order thanks to input from folks here.

Comments

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    It occured to me, at about 03:00 today, I have without question, become a full-fledged DGrin JUNKIE!!!!

I can't eat, sleep or work without having the site up on my computer. At 05:00 this morning, when I would normally be waking to start my day, I realized I had hardly slept thanks to all the info available on this site and referenced sites that I just wanted to keep reading.

I can easily admit I have learned more in the two weeks I've been a member here than in years of photo hobbying.

This site is comprised of a great group of people all of whom are so very willing to assist each other and pat each other on the back. I will continue to find myself challenged to meet the standards upheld amongst true craftsmen. Thanks for the fun... and the bloodshot eyes.

ps: I now own a new flash unit and have nikon capture on order thanks to input from folks here.

We are glad you have you here Angelo!

This site is very addictive because of the great people and information they are willing to share.

Which flash did you decide on?

Dave
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    I am glad you enjoy this site Angelo, I am an addict as well. You are also not alone in feeling it really helps improvement. If you go back two months and look at the shots posted by most any regular here, and look at what they are posting now, you will be able to see the improvement in most of us.

Sharing what you know, what you like and what you learn are what it's all about.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2005
    the SB600 you recommended. My salesman, Tim, at Samy's Camera here in LA wouldn't allow me to spend another $125 on the 800. He said I would get everything I need out of the 600 for a long time.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    thumb.gif Sorry to hear about your illness, Angelo. lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 8, 2005
    You're in good company here Angelo. There are a lot of us dgrin junkies here :D:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    Hello,

My Name is Gary and I am a dgrin junkie.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    pseudonympseudonym Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2005
    haha I hear ya mate, problem with a place like this is now I wanna get good at taking pictures and the more I read and see here the more I see how far I've got got to go eek7.gif.

Cheers to all that make this palce so good for us super newbs to learn much good stuff. clap.gif

Colin
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2005
    pseudonym wrote:
    I wanna get good at taking pictures and the more I read and see here the more I see how far I've got got to go eek7.gif.
    Think of it as a journey without a particular destination, Colin. It's not a race, so there's plenty of time to smell the flowers along the way (not to mention time to learn how to sow, fertilize, prune, hybridize, etc, etc.) :)

fwiw, i'm not a junkie...i can quit anytime i want. I just don't want to. :uhoh

Welcome to Digital Grin, kids.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    the SB600 you recommended. My salesman, Tim, at Samy's Camera here in LA wouldn't allow me to spend another $125 on the 800. He said I would get everything I need out of the 600 for a long time.
    I have the SB600 for my D70 and love it. I have to say though that I now am looking at buying an SB800. I have enjoyed using the wireless flash mode with the SB600 which uses the D70 as the commander. Unfortunately, the only way to have an on camera flash fire for a photo AND act as a commander for another wireless flash is to have an SB800 on the camera. I'm interested in doing this and had no idea that the SB800 was the only flash with this capability.

mitch
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2005
    And another thing. I agree about the addictiveness of this site. I check it at several times a day and often hear my kids say "Are you on that photo site again?" I love the challenges which have really sparked my creative juices.

mitch
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2005
    Mitch
    I don't follow you. You can use the 600 as a remote without another modular flash unit.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Mitch
    I don't follow you. You can use the 600 as a remote without another modular flash unit.
    That is correct. I currently use and enjoy the SB600 this way. The problem is, you cannot use the SB600 on the camera to wirelessly fire a second SB600 or SB800. Right now with the SB600 off camera, the on camera fill flash fires to communicate with the off camera flash. I find this distracting (pre-flash), and it does not help light the photo!

The only way to have an on camera flash work in conjunction with an off camera wireless flash is to have the SB800 on the camera in commander mode. This and the increase in power are the only differences between the SB800 and SB600.