edited July 11, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I cropped this photo and this happened:

170838104-M-1.jpg

I did NOT put that Proof there. Watermarking is turned off. :dunno

Comments

• Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2007
    OK this is happening in other galleries, too. When I use Smugmug's crop feature, it adds a watermark even when I didn't tell it to.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2007
    So no one knows? Guess I will always crop BEFORE uploading. Which I DO 99% of the time anyhow. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    So no one knows? Guess I will always crop BEFORE uploading. Which I DO 99% of the time anyhow. ne_nau.gif
    Hmmm... let me check into this

I don't recommend cropping before uploading, unless you are only offering certain sizes for sale.

We very highly recommend our Pros make use of our Proof Delay feature.
    Proof Delay allows you to review the order before it's sent to print,
    make corrections and changes to the cropping as well as auto versus true
    color. Best of all, you have the opportunity to totally replace any
    image that is ordered, with your choice of a replacement, still allowing
    you to adjust the crop and color setting after replacing it. For more
    info on this, please see the links below which would eliminate any
    problems in the future:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/proof-retouch-replace
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/ProofDelayForHappyCustomers
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/ProofDelaySolveCroppingWoes

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2007
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    OK this is happening in other galleries, too. When I use Smugmug's crop feature, it adds a watermark even when I didn't tell it to.
    can you link us to a gallery or two where this is happening please? I'll ask on of our team to look into it - thanks!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    I cropped this photo and this happened:

170838104-M-1.jpg

I did NOT put that Proof there. Watermarking is turned off. ne_nau.gif

Usually when this happens, it's because watermarking got turned on for new photos in that gallery and the act of applying a crop causes the watermark setting to get applied to the photo when it is changed. I can't see your customization settings (someone who works at Smugmug could), but you might want to check the customization settings on this gallery http://theevanevents.smugmug.com/gallery/3116538#170838104. If watermarking is turned off, then try rotating this particular photo left, then right and the watermark should clear from this photo.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    HindsightHindsight Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    Proof delay question
    Just so I understand proof delay:

1.The customer orders and they adjusted the crop.
    2. I get email notofication of the order.
    3. I replace the image file with a retouched image file which has been cropped to match the customer's choice, in the correct aspect ratio.
    4. The replaced photo shows in the order window without crop lines looking perfect... then what happens?

a. The photo get's cropped according to the original proofs aspect ratio, resulting in a bad pic?
    b. The application is coded (smartly) to reset all crops back to the default whenever a replace function occursm and the resulting print isn't cropped at all.
    My Gear: Nikon D300, D200, D100, 80-200 f2.8, DVX100B
    regular site
    oo
    smug site
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2007
    Hindsight wrote:
    Just so I understand proof delay:

1.The customer orders and they adjusted the crop.
    2. I get email notofication of the order.
    3. I replace the image file with a retouched image file which has been cropped to match the customer's choice, in the correct aspect ratio.
    4. The replaced photo shows in the order window without crop lines looking perfect... then what happens?

a. The photo get's cropped according to the original proofs aspect ratio, resulting in a bad pic?
    b. The application is coded (smartly) to reset all crops back to the default whenever a replace function occursm and the resulting print isn't cropped at all.
    If you reupload a different aspect ratio image, you simply re-adjust the crop in the proof delay screen.

Why not price a few images at .01 over cost, and try it deal.gif
  • Options
    HindsightHindsight Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    So what you see is what you get then. When I replaced the photos in the proof window the new images were cropped to the same aspect ratio they had ordered, and there was no crop marker, so I assumed the there would be no crop.
    My Gear: Nikon D300, D200, D100, 80-200 f2.8, DVX100B
    regular site
    oo
    smug site
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2007
    Thanks for the advice! It's This gallery: http://theevanevents.smugmug.com/gallery/3116538#170587077 That' I'm having the issue w/. I have watermarking on right now, but at the time I did the cropping it was off. I will look into that delayed printing thing--thanks!!