Options

NYC Trip

StravStrav Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited July 10, 2007 in Journeys
Haven't been there since 1997 and decided to hop in a rental and go on the Canada Day long weekend last week. Took a total of 289 shots, but will obviously post only a few here. NYC is now officially my favorite city in NA - used to be Chicago (Toronto mirrors that city in many ways). It was a 10 hour drive there (we got stuck on an overpass in the Bronx for a couple of hours as there was an accident) and 8 hour drive back which is normal. 1,750 km's in all. Arrived on Friday night 11pm on June 29th and left on Monday at 2pm on July 2nd. Toronto now seems very small in comparison even though it's the fifth largest city in NA.

We did a lot of walking - the soles of my shoes were halved when it was all said and done, and we also purchased a sight-seeing tour on a bus that included access into the Empire State Building. There's a secret to the bus tour fwiw. Purchase tickets to the blue bus - not the red one - as you can hop on and off throughout the entire duration as the company that runs the blue buses are somewhat lackadaisical when looking at your tickets. Just hold their map in your hand at the appropriate stops and flag it down. Ride at day, night, whenever, wherever, when normally you're only allowed to ride on it for two 6 hour day time periods (or night time pending what you purchased). Tip the bus driver and tour guide well for taking advantage of the service. :D

Also checked out B&H as we stayed right around the corner at the New Yorker (crappy Hotel but decent enough for the money). I couldn't believe the size of that store. One big assembly line and they've got everything organized to a "t". As someone suggested here in another thread, all they need is a deli. :thumb

Here's a few photos (the limit to the size of the attachments severly hampers the quality of them so keep that in mind I suppose - need a smug account :wink):

1) An Empire State Building shot. It was packed on there for a Sat. Very little elbow room:

Comments