Options

Washington Post Photo Contest

RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
edited July 10, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
YOU REALLY NEED TO READ AND UNDERSTAND THE RULES OF PHOTO CONTESTS
Most contests sound legit. Most are, I presume. However, before entry you should really understand what they get in return for your submission. Take the latest photo contest from The Washington Post as an example.

Every year The Post asks for entries. A far as I can tell it's the same prize. And if you win you get:
You shoot, you could score prime real estate in the Travel section
That is, the photo is printed in a newspaper, which everyone knows has very high print quality.

The rules, however, include what I consider to be a rather laughable condition:
Photos become the property of The Washington Post, which may edit, publish, distribute and republish them in any form.

So, The Post gets all rights to your photo (even if you loose) to do with as they please (print publish, give away, sell, market, etc,), and they do not, under any circumstances, have to credit to you at all.

Now that's a good deal.:nah :scratch:nah

With rules this loose The Post could, in theory, sue you for copyright infringment should you choose to publish, print, and sell your photo after you enter. Remember, the rule loosely states that the submission becomes their property. The Post could loosely interpret that to mean that your submission constitutes assigining the copyright to them. Would The Post ever take this route? I have no idea, and I personally don't think so. The warning is though, that you need to be careful and read and understand the rules and the risks.

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited July 10, 2007
    Sadly, these conditions are not at all uncommon in contests. The Post is a respectable paper, so I would expect that journalism standards would guarantee that you would be given credit for anything they publish. That may be of interest to someone trying to spread their name about. I get more worked up when I see conditions like these in a contest sponsored by some unknown. It looks to me as if they are trying to start a stock photo business on the cheap.

Regards,
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited July 10, 2007
    Yup. That's the way it is all over. It isn't really a contest. A legit contest has a real reward at the end.

I have submitted photos to magazines or newspapers knowing that possibly my name might appear, but if I had a great shot I knew I could sell, then never ever would I turn it over to some periodical. Just not woth the effort.

And get this... our local papers have stopped crediting photographers other than the ones in their direct employ. If I got a front page news story shot, they would most likely just print "Submitted photo" on the bottom. Nice of them, huh? ne_nau.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Sadly, these conditions are not at all uncommon in contests. The Post is a respectable paper, so I would expect that journalism standards would guarantee that you would be given credit for anything they publish. That may be of interest to someone trying to spread their name about. I get more worked up when I see conditions like these in a contest sponsored by some unknown. It looks to me as if they are trying to start a stock photo business on the cheap.

Regards,

Hey, Richard. That is what I was really trying to warn people about. People need to understand what they are giving up. Starting a cheap stock photo site, when The Post owns to photo, means that they would not have to give any credit to the photographer. And, if the stock photo idea were true, then I would expect The Post to not give credit as it gives the appearance that they are selling your photo, not theirs.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Yup. That's the way it is all over. It isn't really a contest. A legit contest has a real reward at the end.
    For some people getting printed in the newspaper is a real reweard. Heck, If I got printed I would be telling everyone.
    I have submitted photos to magazines or newspapers knowing that possibly my name might appear, but if I had a great shot I knew I could sell, then never ever would I turn it over to some periodical. Just not woth the effort.
    Agreedthumb.gif
    And get this... our local papers have stopped crediting photographers other than the ones in their direct employ. If I got a front page news story shot, they would most likely just print "Submitted photo" on the bottom. Nice of them, huh? ne_nau.gif
    That would suck. Perhaps the local paper has some legal mumbo-jumbo for doing that burried somewhere?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:

The Wichita (ks) Eagle has done this for years......I used to get calls after every concert wanting to see my photos of whomever performed at the latest concert at one of the 3 major venues....I did it once and all they paid me was $5, they did take excellent care of the slide....it was in a better protective holder than I gave it to them in and all I wanted was the credit line.......that was the 1st and last time for me to be published in this paper....but they would still call for over 2 yrs.....I even tried submitting my portfolio but I had no journalism degree so they wouldn't consider me.....oh well their loss -
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    entropysedgeentropysedge Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    The Wichita (ks) Eagle has done this for years......I used to get calls after every concert wanting to see my photos of whomever performed at the latest concert at one of the 3 major venues....I did it once and all they paid me was $5, they did take excellent care of the slide....it was in a better protective holder than I gave it to them in and all I wanted was the credit line.......that was the 1st and last time for me to be published in this paper....but they would still call for over 2 yrs.....I even tried submitting my portfolio but I had no journalism degree so they wouldn't consider me.....oh well their loss -

Sad to say, needing the degree to be considered as photographer is becoming more common; like a piece of paper guarentees that you shoot good work rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    The Boston Globe (read: NY Times) has something similar. They even 'offer' free hosting of your pics. You can create albums/galleries to show your pictures.

But, every submitted picture becomes property of NY Times... suddenly 'free' is no longer very 'free' at all.

This is the link:
    http://yourphotos.boston.com/
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    entropysedgeentropysedge Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    The Boston Globe (read: NY Times) has something similar. They even 'offer' free hosting of your pics. You can create albums/galleries to show your pictures.

But, every submitted picture becomes property of NY Times... suddenly 'free' is no longer very 'free' at all.

This is the link:
    http://yourphotos.boston.com/

well, its free to them rolleyes1.gif ... nothing like not having to pay for stock photos
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    With rules this loose The Post could, in theory, sue you for copyright infringment should you choose to publish, print, and sell your photo after you enter. Remember, the rule loosely states that the submission becomes their property. The Post could loosely interpret that to mean that your submission constitutes assigining the copyright to them. Would The Post ever take this route? I have no idea, and I personally don't think so. The warning is though, that you need to be careful and read and understand the rules and the risks.

To get that, the language would have to say "exclusive property." With the language they have written they are not taking away any of your rights to the photo.

That said, you are right that it is a bit silly to enter a contest with those rules. My attitude is I have to get either money or a credit line for any use of a photo of mine. I am often quite happy for people to publish my work if they leave my copyright imprint intact, but if they want the right to remove it they have to pay for it.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    To get that, the language would have to say "exclusive property." With the language they have written they are not taking away any of your rights to the photo.
    nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:

Citation? ear.gif Just want to know for my records on that. :D I can edit my post to reflect this, too.
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    Citation? ear.gif Just want to know for my records on that. :D I can edit my post to reflect this, too.

Best Business Practices for Photographers by John Harrington is a good reference on contract language for photography.