Options

What's your laptop screen resolution?

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
edited July 12, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I am planning on getting a new laptop in the fall and am having some trouble finding exactly what I want. I have been using a laptop as my only machine for quite a few years and don't intend to change that. My current Dell is long past due for replacement, but one of the nice things about it is its 1600x1200 display (15"). It appears that I can only get that much resolution with fairly high end 17" screens. I have been assuming that you can never accept less resolution than you currently have, but I am wondering whether that's really true.

So my question is, how much resolution do you think is required to do photo editing? Obviously, more is better, but what's the minimum?

Looking forward to your opinions.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2007
    about 112dpi on my old Powerbook's screen, if my math's right.
  • Options
    rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    My Dell Inspiron 8500 is 1900x1200... it's just a tad too high for everything besides photography (this is on a 15.4" widescreen), and - for what it's worth - I have very good eye sight.

Next time I buy a laptop I'll likely get one step down on the resolution.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2007
    StevenV wrote:
    about 112dpi on my old Powerbook's screen, if my math's right.

Right--mine is (I think) 133 dpi. I just don't know whether the difference is noticeable. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2007
    rdlugosz wrote:
    My Dell Inspiron 8500 is 1900x1200... it's just a tad too high for everything besides photography (this is on a 15.4" widescreen), and - for what it's worth - I have very good eye sight.

Next time I buy a laptop I'll likely get one step down on the resolution.

I had pretty good eyesight before I got the Dell. rolleyes1.gif It is a hassle to be resizing fonts all the time. On the other hand, it is also nice to have lots of stuff on the screen when you need it. And, of course, the photo resolution is excellent. What to do, what to do headscratch.gifscratch.