Options

The first ospreys with my new 500 f/4L IS (Large Post)

HarvHarv Registered Users Posts: 1,105 Major grins
edited July 15, 2007 in Wildlife
As some of you already know, my new 500 arrived late yesterday. This morning we were presented with clear blue skies so after running my dogs, we took a spin to an osprey nest nearby. A great opportunity to try out the lens in a real world situation.

I did only minimal post processing of these shots. Some had shadow/highlight adjustments to deal with heavy shadows under the birds. All shots had between 30% and 40% of Intellisharpen's lowest settings. I could have pretty much posted these straight out of camera.

The following flight shots were all taken handheld. Man, that sucker is heavy and I would not want to do that on a regular basis. After a few minutes, my left arm got really tired. I'll leave that to the younger and stronger people out there.

1D MkIIn, 500 f/4L IS

172251876-O.jpg

172251900-O.jpg

172251890-O.jpg

172251975-O.jpg

172251991-O.jpg

172252018-O.jpg

172252002-O.jpg

This bird would not let me get very close without leaving the nest. I estimate the distance to have been close to 150 feet. The nest shots were taken from a tripod using the 1.4xTC. Fairly significant crop on the following 3 shots.

1D MkIIn, 500 f/4L IS, 1.4xTC

172251936-O.jpg

172251953-O.jpg

172251918-O.jpg

I think this lens is a keeper. :lust:lust:lust:lust:lust

Comments

• Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    I admire the fact that with a prime you able to get these bifs. I have all sorts of problems getting bigs with my prime lens. I usually switch to my telephoto zoom to get bifs, but I would love to use my big prime lens. I just have a hard time tracking them and keeping everything in focus even with a tripod and gimbal.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2007
    Maestro wrote:
    I admire the fact that with a prime you able to get these bifs. I have all sorts of problems getting bigs with my prime lens. I usually switch to my telephoto zoom to get bifs, but I would love to use my big prime lens. I just have a hard time tracking them and keeping everything in focus even with a tripod and gimbal.

Thanks a lot, Stephen.

I have, and use, a tripod and gimball for my long telephoto lenses. I use it primarily for static shots. The only type of BIF shots that I have any luck with using that rig is ducks and geese. They tend to fly a consistent route and are a lot easier to lock on and track. I don't have alot of luck with other birds who's flight path tends to be erratic. For those I find I have to handhold to have a chance at capturing good shots. My 400/5.6L and my 300/2.8L are manageable for handholding, with the 400 being best as it's lighter. The 500/4 that I used today was handheld as I couldn't track the irregular flight of the ospreys. I don't think I'll be doing that a lot as it's so dang heavy. Having said that, it was the only lens I had with me.

Practice with the long primes helps. Go out to the backyard and practice on acquiring and tracking anything that flies. Eventually, the camera/lens combo will find it's way to the right spot almost automatically.
  • Options
    WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    Really nice shots , especially with bright sun .
    #7 is by far my favorite , very nice .
    I bet after hand-holding thatlens you would be able to skip the gym !!!:D
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2007
    WildWally wrote:
    Really nice shots , especially with bright sun .
    #7 is by far my favorite , very nice .
    I bet after hand-holding thatlens you would be able to skip the gym !!!:D

Thanks, Walt. That's my wife's favourite shot as well. By the way, after handholding that lens, what I really need is an arm transplant. I won't be doing that a lot.
  • Options
    S. HortonS. Horton Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    Great BIF! Awe-some captures, very nice PP.

Amazing results with the TC.

Sure, that one is a 'keeper' as you said! I may have to sell my arm to obtain one.

:D
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2007
    S. Horton wrote:
    Great BIF! Awe-some captures, very nice PP.

Amazing results with the TC.

Sure, that one is a 'keeper' as you said! I may have to sell my arm to obtain one.

:D

Thanks a lot, Sam. It felt more like I gave an arm and a leg for it. :D
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    Congrats on your new toy!! What fun it is! Beautiful shotswings.gifwings.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    You must be in heaven with your awesome lens.
    Your captures are super!

Thanks for sharing,

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Congrats on your new toy!! What fun it is! Beautiful shotswings.gifwings.gif

Thanks, Marina. Have had it for 24 hours now and been having a ball with it. Just tooks some 1,000mm shots from about 75 feet and can't believe the detail. This is going to be a hoot.
  • Options
    Peter McLarenPeter McLaren Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    Aloha from the Big Island of Hawaii,

Very nice images and extremely sharp. I really like #5 it almost looks like his/her eye is tracking you!
    Would you be so kind as to post the exposure details for that shot,

Mahalo, Peter
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2007
    You must be in heaven with your awesome lens.
    Your captures are super!

Thanks for sharing,

Dick.

Thanks for the kind words, Dick. Yep, I feel as if I've died and gone to heaven. I had been fighting the urge to buy this thing for almost a year and finally gave in. Now I'm asking myself why I resisted. This thing rivals my 300/2.8 in the sharpness and resolution it delivers.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2007
    Aloha from the Big Island of Hawaii,

Very nice images and extremely sharp. I really like #5 it almost looks like his/her eye is tracking you!
    Would you be so kind as to post the exposure details for that shot,

Mahalo, Peter

Aloha, Peter.

Thanks for stopping in and commenting. Very much appreciated. The following is the EXIF for that shot...

Camera Model Name
    Canon EOS-1D Mark II N
    Shooting Date/Time
    7/12/2007 08:55:23
    Tv(Shutter Speed)
    1/1250Sec.
    Av(Aperture Value)
    F8.0
    Metering Modes
    Spot
    Exposure Compensation
    ISO Speed
    Lens
    EF500mm f/4L IS USM
    Focal Length
    500.0 mm
    Image size
    3504 x 2336
    Image Quality
    RAW
    Flash
    Off
    White Balance
    Auto
    AF mode
    AI Servo AF

I hope this is of some value to you.
  • Options
    Peter McLarenPeter McLaren Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    Harv wrote:
    Aloha, Peter.

Thanks for stopping in and commenting. Very much appreciated. The following is the EXIF for that shot...

Camera Model Name
    Canon EOS-1D Mark II N
    Shooting Date/Time
    7/12/2007 08:55:23
    Tv(Shutter Speed)
    1/1250Sec.
    Av(Aperture Value)
    F8.0
    Metering Modes
    Spot
    Exposure Compensation
    ISO Speed
    Lens
    EF500mm f/4L IS USM
    Focal Length
    500.0 mm
    Image size
    3504 x 2336
    Image Quality
    RAW
    Flash
    Off
    White Balance
    Auto
    AF mode
    AI Servo AF

I hope this is of some value to you.

BIG THANK YOU. Just one question : Why no polorising filter??
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2007
    BIG THANK YOU. Just one question : Why no polorising filter??

I can live with a natural looking sky and don't want to give up shutter speed when shooting birds in flight.
  • Options
    GonzoBernelliGonzoBernelli Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    I think you should keep the lens Harv - these are fantastic!
    DISCLAIMER: This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2007
    I think you should keep the lens Harv - these are fantastic!

Thanks very much, Gonzo. I've decided I would give up my first-born before I give up this lens. mwink.gif I've just processed a couple of shots taken at 1,000mm at a distance of about 70-75 feet. One is a dove and the other a cardinal. I can't believe the detail in the shots. I'm blown away.
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    Nice shots Harv! Took my lens out for a spin last night. Will post some pics tonight(no handheld shots though). Just one Osprey shot but he was on a flagpole eating a fish.
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2007
    Nice shots Harv! Took my lens out for a spin last night. Will post some pics tonight(no handheld shots though). Just one Osprey shot but he was on a flagpole eating a fish.

Thanks, Glenn. I'm looking forward to your post. One can never get too many ospreys.
  • Options
    emmalouemmalou Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    They are brilliant~! I love them all.but the third one is striking frorm the back of the falcon......
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2007
    emmalou wrote:
    They are brilliant~! I love them all.but the third one is striking frorm the back of the falcon......

Thanks a lot, Emmalou. You're very kind.
  • Options
    emmalouemmalou Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    Harv wrote:
    Thanks a lot, Emmalou. You're very kind.

I am very envious :D
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    Welcome to the 500mm club. The lens will open a whole new way of shooting to you. I have shot my 500mm handheld and hope never to do it again.

Excellent captures.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    PrescottPhotogPrescottPhotog Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    Hi Harv,

Great shots. I love shooting Osprey but we don't have many around here except when they are passing through.

I love my 500 also and shot with it for over 6 months attached to my 400D XTI. It was a real struggle for the XTI to keep up with the lens. The AF just couldn't keep up so my keeper rate was low. But the shots that did turn out turned out wonderful. This year I can't wait to shoot with my Mark III and the 500. I'm so excited I can't wait, got the camera, got the lens.. now no birds until it cools down here a bit.

I use mine on a tripod with a full Wimberley and also on a Bogen 680B monopod with a Wimberley Sidekick. The Sidekick and monopod work great because you can pivot around in a full circle and still track the BIF and the Sidekick is rock solid. I have never had a problem with the weight or quick release leg on the 680B and I have been using it for 2 years before I got the 500. It is still as tight as the day I got it.

The 680B has the quick release legs so you can get set up fast if you see something approaching and it is tall enough to be able to pan BIF that pass overhead. The 500 and the 680B monopod work great together plus it is much easier to carry any distance. I just tilt the head down so it is almost flat (as close to the monopod shaft as I can) and carry it over my shoulder.

The monopod is a bit tricky for still shots but the IS takes care of most of the shake. For BIF the monopod and 500 is a great combo.
    '
    Prescott Photog, Chris - " One Shot, One Still "
    '
    Canon CPS Member
    SmugMug Pro User - www.PrescottOutdoors.net
    NAPP Member..Click for Info
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    Welcome to the 500mm club. The lens will open a whole new way of shooting to you. I have shot my 500mm handheld and hope never to do it again.

Excellent captures.

Thanks, Harry. I may shoot it handheld again, but it's not going to be my first choice. I might try to employ the method Chris suggests using a monopod.
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2007
    Hi Harv,

Great shots. I love shooting Osprey but we don't have many around here except when they are passing through.

I love my 500 also and shot with it for over 6 months attached to my 400D XTI. It was a real struggle for the XTI to keep up with the lens. The AF just couldn't keep up so my keeper rate was low. But the shots that did turn out turned out wonderful. This year I can't wait to shoot with my Mark III and the 500. I'm so excited I can't wait, got the camera, got the lens.. now no birds until it cools down here a bit.

I use mine on a tripod with a full Wimberley and also on a Bogen 680B monopod with a Wimberley Sidekick. The Sidekick and monopod work great because you can pivot around in a full circle and still track the BIF and the Sidekick is rock solid. I have never had a problem with the weight or quick release leg on the 680B and I have been using it for 2 years before I got the 500. It is still as tight as the day I got it.

The 680B has the quick release legs so you can get set up fast if you see something approaching and it is tall enough to be able to pan BIF that pass overhead. The 500 and the 680B monopod work great together plus it is much easier to carry any distance. I just tilt the head down so it is almost flat (as close to the monopod shaft as I can) and carry it over my shoulder.

The monopod is a bit tricky for still shots but the IS takes care of most of the shake. For BIF the monopod and 500 is a great combo.

Thanks a lot, Chris. I know you're going to love that MkIII. A couple of my friends tool delivery of theirs and are awed by it's capabilities.

Thanks also for the inro on the monopod. I may give that a try.