Options

Search on Keywords

dgrinjacksondgrinjackson Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited July 13, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hi All,

I know search engines can be a tricky thing.

on my site http://www.michaeljacksonphotography.com I have a number of pictures that I uploaded with the keyword "benjamin jackson". When I type into the search box on my home page "benjamin jackson" the results page tells me it cannot find any keyword matches. Which seems odd to me since I know there are a number of pictures with that keyword AND that specific keyword is showing as one of my top twenty keywords on my homepage.

I've also tried "benjamin+jackson" without any luck.

So my question is, is this a bug in the search algorithms or a feature? :) Could it be that "keywords" only work if you have a single word and fail if you have defined a keyword that is more than one word...I guess it is more like a key-phrase?

I'm just trying to make sure my keywording strategy facilitates what I really want it to do

Thanks for the help in advance.

Mike

Comments

• Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    I just searched for "benjamin jackson" on your site and had a return of 32 images. Is that how many you have? I looked at how you entered the "two word" keyword and it looks correct.
  • Options
    dgrinjacksondgrinjackson Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    Hi Rich, thanks a lot for helping me out.

I didn't get a reply right away so I tweaked my keywords. Hard to test the scenario when someone does that, sorry.

I added single word keywords for this scenario. So now instead of just "Benjamin Jackson" I also have "Benjamin" and "Jackson".

If you look at the first section in the search return page that shows the keywords matched that tells me it found "benjamin" and "jackson", but not "Benjamin Jackson". Before I added the single words and there was only the "benjamin jackson" keyword, it said it didn't find any keywords matching that search.

Out of curiosity, I removed the individual keywords from one of the 32 returned images in the "photos matching" section of the returned search. Searching on "Benjamin Jackson" still returned 32 images, but in the 'keyword matching' s ection of the returned search results page it still only showed the individual keywords "benjamin" and "jackson", but now instead of each of those showing 32 images found for each it now showed 31.

So it looks to me that the things returned in the two sections is different. In the "keywords Matching" section it parses the search field input and returns results for each individual word (which is great), but won't also return keywords that match the "phrase" entered.

However, in the "photos matching" section it doesn't parse the search field input and returns results for the keyword "phrase" in this instance.

It looks like the "galleries matching" section also behaves like the "photos matching" section, but not like the "keywords matching" section.

I know search engines can be implemented in different ways and can be a hairy mess at times so I'm really happy with what you guys have already. I'm just looking for some consistency now and/or I'm just trying to make sure whatever strategy I implement to keyword my photos will return the results expected consistently across the different returned sections. Of course, how I'm thinking of things might not be the way you guys intended it to work so feel free to reset my expectations and I'll modify my keywording approach.

Personally, I'd prefer a combination. I like that the "keywords matching" section parses the input, but I'd like it to also return the unparsed phrase results. I'd also like the "galleries matching" and "photos matching" sections to behave the same way (show me both the parsed words and unparsed phrase matches, but if an image/gallery is returned multiple times don't inflate the results (for example, if one image has the keywords "Benjamin", "Jackson" and "Benjamin Jackson"...and I search for "Benjamin Jackson" then I'd like the engine to find the three matches, but realize that those three matches relate to one picture...so only show the one picture...not the same one picture three times)

Sorry for the epic reply...thanks again for the help!

Mike