Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Frankly, one my biggest problems is a reluctance to cook for myself. Oh yeah, and I hate shopping.

nod.gifnod.gif

I'm the king of food in the form of a bar. Which I know is horrible, processed, and loaded with sugars. But if it fits in my pocket, can be taken anywhere, and ate at anytime, I'm for it.

And in response to Baldy's Post above.

Alondra good, very very good. nod.gifnod.gif
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    Tonight's Dinner.

Whole Wheat Penne, Sun-dried tomatoes, pignole nuts, Broccoli.

Cook the Pasta.
    Toss the garlic, pine nuts, broccoli and sun dried tomatoes in a wok with olive oil. Make sure you leave the broccoli al dente! Toss in the pasta, stir it up, and done.

Total time? Maybe 15 minutes or so.

172368923-L.jpg

This is not hard to eat, let me tell you :food
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 12, 2007
    Did you eat the box too?
    Andy wrote:
    Tonight's Dinner.

Whole Wheat Penne, Sun-dried tomatoes, pignole nuts, Broccoli.

Cook the Pasta.
    Toss the garlic, pine nuts, broccoli and sun dried tomatoes in a wok with olive oil. Make sure you leave the broccoli al dente! Toss in the pasta, stir it up, and done.

Total time? Maybe 15 minutes or so.

This is not hard to eat, let me tell you :food
    Pedal faster
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 12, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I worry about osteoporosis and so am reluctant to give up the tiny bit of dairy that I force myself to consume.
    Hey Ann,

It's true that osteoporosis has a strong link to dairy, but the data is pretty compelling that the higher the dairy consumption, the higher the rate of osteoporosis. eek7.gif

For example, little dairy is consumed in Asian countries like Japan, but their rate of bone fractures is 1/7th of dairy consuming nations like the U.S.

The issue seems to be that the digestive byproducts of animal proteins are acidic and the body needs to balance its pH. The way it does it is to leech calcium (a base) from your bones.

Here is the Harvard Shool of Public Health's explanation.
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    Tonight's dinner - whole wheat angel hair pasta with fat free organic (no sugar) sauce and a pinch of salt. A bit bland compared to my usual butter and parmesan pasta. Okay though. Next time I'll toss in some veggies, maybe some orange and yellow peppers, I love those.

I was proud of myself too, I took the family out for ice cream after my son's All-star game and I didn't even get a frozen yogurt or anything. I hadn't even eaten dinner yet (they had). Two days down, not so bad so far -

I must say I'm surprised and really happy that I'm not the only one interested in this. It would make it easier on me to hear experiences from other dgrinners going through the same things I will be.thumb.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited July 12, 2007
    Hi Baldy!

I'm hear to tell you that brussel sprouts taste better with bacon thumb.gif

They do but I don't think it's the best way to enjoy them (which is steamed
    and a bit of seasoning for me).

Andy's offered a pretty simple and easy to cook dish. Nice work!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited July 12, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Did you eat the box too?
    So much of people's issues/fears is not finding the good stuff. They're used to Ronzoni, or whatever, white flour pasta. Just wanted to show the options :)
    edited July 12, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    So much of people's issues/fears is not finding the good stuff. They're used to Ronzoni, or whatever, white flour pasta. Just wanted to show the options :)

Shopping w/Andy at the Wild Utah shoot, I discovered it doesn't take too much effort to find stuff that "fits the profile". I was really surprised to see how easy it was with a bit of knowledge.
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Frankly, one my biggest problems is a reluctance to cook for myself. I'm a decent cook, I know my way around a kitchen, have worked in restaurants.

But cooking and cleaning-up dinner everyday is a massive amount of time, for 10 minutes of chew time. So guess which is my hands-down worst meal of the day?

Oh yeah, and I hate shopping.

Apparently, I'd rather have a vegetable on my sofa than on my dinner table.

Wax - I see you are in Atlanta. Whole Foods Market has Briarcliff, Ponce De Leon, Sandy Springs and West Paces Ferry locations . I can't do anything about your desire to not actually enter the store umph.gif , but they have great prepared dishes and meals. Eat there, sample, take out. All good and easy. It is less expensive than a restaurant, but certainly not if you bought the ingrediants. Also these stores have more of that 'good stuff' - easier to buy!

I have not read the books, but I'm surprised the topic of good eating habits hasn't come up. #1 - Portion Control. #2 - Eat before you are hungry. #3 -Eat slowly - like your mom said! #4 - Don't shop when hungry. You buy all that stuff (more than you need) and eat it later when you have it. You buy it because your body craves it. #5 - Keep the healthy stuff (apples, carrots, etc) out and available. Or in your desk drawer. #6 - Portion Control.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
    edited July 12, 2007
    Andrew has some kinda meals on wheels thing going on where they bring him a healthy dinner at night. I'm not much of a cook either.

I do like making smoothies, tho, 'cus it's fast. You wouldn't believe all the stuff we throw in 'em around here: spinach, brocolli...but some frozen blueberries or the big bags of mixed berries that Costco sells buries the veggies in goodness. :ivar
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    I've got a Whole Foods Market within walking distance of my house (yes, there are a few places in the Atlanta are where you can actually walk somewhere), but havn't really found the food to be that good. To each their own taste.

Smoothies... I could about live on them (the fruit ones, the sound of veggies in a smoothie just sounds wrong to me... again, that individual taste thing)
    edited July 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I eat all day long and I'm never hungry.

Case in point: it's Thursday night, we do testing at SmugMug late into the wee hours. I'm now noshing on real peanut butter and some raisins.
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    So I'll share todays food - as I mentioned I haven't become vegan but am trying to wean myself, and this is just for support purposes:

breakfast was a 0% fat yogurt (animal, I know) and a nectarine. black coffee.
    lunch was 1/2 of a left over burger from last night, with roasted red pepper & red onion as garnish (more veggies than beef). a bowl of mesculin with spray dressing.
    another nectarine in the afternoon.
    water.
    supper was a plate of mesculin topped with (home) roasted peppers and onions and feta cheese.

So I have not given up animal produts cold turkey, but I am working at putting in way more veg and way less processed foods - no granola bars from the office desk drawer today.
    edited July 13, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    #6 - Portion Control.
    I would love to be better at portion control than I am. I'm pretty good on days I'm not working out but if the workouts get big I go postal and eat everything in the kitchen.

I'm not proud of it but at least if I go crazy on fruits, veggies, or legumes I don't put on the pounds even when making like a pig.
    edited July 13, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    I would love to be better at portion control than I am. I'm pretty good on days I'm not working out but if the workouts get big I go postal and eat everything in the kitchen.

I'm not proud of it but at least if I go crazy on fruits, veggies, or legumes I don't put on the pounds even when making like a pig.
    Yabutt...aren't you addressing your body's need for calories when you do workout? That you eat a more vegetarian diet, I would think your intake might be a bit higher than someone who was eating less vegetarian.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Yabutt...aren't you addressing your body's need for calories when you do workout?
    Protein powder & creatine...you dont put diesel in a ferrari.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Case in point: it's Thursday night, we do testing at SmugMug late into the wee hours. I'm now noshing on real peanut butter and some raisins.

Trader Joe's Almond Butter. Yum
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    All of this information on a lifestyle that I am interested in/leaning towards All the great choices. Then, tomorrow, I am taking the spouse to Brasserie Beck for a Belgian-styled dinner. Not sure how I am going to resist a lot of the things on their menu. headscratch.gifne_nau.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    Earlier in this thread the issue of water consumption came up.

I'd read before that consuming an exaggerated amount of water wasn't necessary. Today I again ran across an article that mentioned it.

It's in the second half of this story.

I'm curious about the counter-argument, which I assume is included in the books cited here.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited July 13, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Earlier in this thread the issue of water consumption came up.

I'd read before that consuming an exaggerated amount of water wasn't necessary. Today I again ran across an article that mentioned it.

It's in the second half of this story.

I'm curious about the counter-argument, which I assume is included in the books cited here.
    Dunno I don't give it a second though. I just dring water when I'm thirsty. I tend not to overanalyze things, and I try to not over-complicate things... if I have to think too much, it becomes work, and I'll lose interest lol3.gif
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    ..... Did you know the two most common blood tests done on people who show signs of Dementia are -- syphilis and Vitamin B12.

....Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    ..... Did you know the two most common blood tests done on people who show signs of Dementia are -- syphilis and Vitamin B12.

....Skippy

Ah! So Al Capone really died of a B12 deficiency.

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Ah! So Al Capone really died of a B12 deficiency.

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Lets just say that if you don't get enough B12 you can fall off your tree :D
    ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I wondered about that. Non-fat yoghurt with pistachio nuts and a packet of Splenda is a favorite snack.

Only bad thing here is the SPLENDA (which is a re-refined sugar)....replace all sugar and sugar substitutes with STEVA...way sweeter tjan sugar or any sugar substitute and mucho healthier as it has no calories or glycemic index (fantastic if you are diabetic like me)....
    Stevia is a little hard to get to dissolve in ICY cold drinks and such so I have the ice on the side when eating out and add the steva before the ice.....also for your brewed or sun teas add whole or ground stevia leaves and the whole pot or jug is sweetened .....ALSO NO NASTY AFTER TASTE,as with any of the chemical sweetener substitutes......

One other thing LOWFAT and NO fat usually means EXTREMELY HIGH SUGAR CONTENT...which is bad for anyone but especially if you have a sugar problem = diabetic or hypoglycemic .... to eat healthy one needs to become a LABEL reader or better yet eat nothing in a can and read closely the box and frozen food labels.

Stevia was banned by the US Govt many years ago when companies making saccharin and equal and sweet-n-low were just beginning to come about, wondering why, I did a little investigating (internet) and found that stevia can be grown as a house plant, it is TOTALLY good for the body, has absolutely no negative side effects that have ever been found (unlike 99.9999% 0f the chemical sweeteners or refined sugar). There are case studies (that I did not bookmark) showing the constant use of stevia has helped type 2 diabetics get off all meds including insulin. another reason why it may have been banned....Stevia comes from South America and studies have shown no diabetes in the region it comes from.......It cannot contain the word sweetner on the container it has to be described as a diatery supplement...however it is on the aisle of sweeteners at Wally world (they carry Sweet Leaf band Stevia packets), health food stores have it in different places so ask a clerk where they hide it...I personally use the NOW brand about $9 for a medium size bottle and it lasts me around 2 months if I am drinking tons of tea away from home........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Protein powder & creatine...you dont put diesel in a ferrari.

Gotta watch these as some brands are OVERLOADED WITH SUGAR or chemical sweetners....BAAAAAAAAAD for ya.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited July 14, 2007
    In honor of this thread, we had dinner at a Vegetarian restaurant on Friday night.

In order, roasted butternut squash with vegetables in plum sauce, Empire chicken (soy meal, not real chicken) and portabello mushroom with sesame sweet sauce.

172835253-L.jpg

Burp!

172835228-L.jpg

It were delicious. It were also proof that vegans can get fat: two of the three dishes were fried, and all were plenty sweet.

(That little Canon SD800 IS did fine in low light, no flash. Some pumping-up in PS, but still a nice job.)
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    Vegetarian vs vegan?
    wxwax wrote:
    In honor of this thread, we had dinner at a Vegetarian restaurant on Friday night.

In order, roasted butternut squash with vegetables in plum sauce, Empire chicken (soy meal, not real chicken) and portabello mushroom with sesame sweet sauce.

It were delicious. It were also proof that vegans can get fat: two of the three dishes were fried, and all were plenty sweet.

Lots of vegetarian foods are high in fat! That was a shock for me when I was looking into getting some frozen vegetarian foods. (I know, not good either, processed! :D )

The meal looks delicious!

I looked up plum sauce -- and it calls for sugar, brown sugar and corn syrup among other things. So plum sauce would be a "no-no" for vegans? Right?

The ingredients sound delicious! I can see this combination stir fried with some ground fresh ginger, some roasted garlic, and other spices instead of the plum sauce (which is too spicy for me anyway), and it would be lower calorie and just as delicious?

Anyway, vegetarian is a good first step, no? :D
    edited July 14, 2007
    Dee wrote:
    Anyway, vegetarian is a good first step, no? :D

Easy to cook and eat veggies in low-fat manner.
    edited July 14, 2007
    Dee wrote:
    I looked up plum sauce -- and it calls for sugar, brown sugar and corn syrup among other things. So plum sauce would be a "no-no" for vegans? Right?
    Very interesting, Dee. Made me look-up how they make sugar. Who knew some processes use animal bones to filter cane sugar? Kosher but not strictly Vegan.

Thanks for the insight!
    Sid.
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    Andrew has some kinda meals on wheels thing going on where they bring him a healthy dinner at night.

I didn't know Nancy was delivering dinner to you at work Andy rolleyes1.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography