New Lens, dogs and pieces of dogs

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited February 11, 2005 in Other Cool Shots
I am just learning with this lens. A new, to me, 300 Prime, I took it out back and played.

15658317-L.jpg

15658308-L.jpg

15658310-M.jpg

15658321-M.jpg

15658314-M.jpg

15658322-L.jpg

It is not heavy to hold, but it is heavy to carry. And I don't know how to hold it yet. My hand wants to hold it at the ring that turns, but that is the manual focus, and it messes up the autofocus when I do that.

I love it, though. If nothing else, I could carry that thing around and get respect. It looks wicked to me! I would bet all the white ones do.
There is a lot I still need, but not much I will be getting, just little stuff. We could sure use a bigger back yard, and a whole dog.

ginger:D
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2005
    Very Nice Gingerthumb.gif is it the 300 4.0L IS? I am hoping to buy that lens in the near future.mwink.gif

Tim
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I am just learning with this lens. A new, to me, 300 Prime, I took it out back and played.

15658322-M.jpg

I love it, though. If nothing else, I could carry that thing around and get respect. It looks wicked to me!
    ginger:D
    What's the saying, walk softly and carry a big stick, I mean a big piece of L-glass rolleyes1.gif

The DOF is quite amazing. In the photo above you can see the dog is sharp at the nose and already softening by the ears. We're talking inches here.

Have fun!
    Brad

P.S. You'll notice from your photo above the one thing that I regularily have to think about on my 20D, which is the focus point. As you can tell, your camera focused on the nose because it was the closest point to the camera. The photo would have been better if focuses on the eyes. Just something to watch for ...
    B.
  • KimballPhotographyKimballPhotography Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2005
    Since I don't know much about the lens, I will say I LOVE the dog! Being a horse person...Corgi's are the GREATEST!! Super cuteclap.gif . Sorry, I know that doesn't help...but it had to be said, he he:D .
    Natalie
    Natalie:thumb

A single photograph can tell an entire story and bring back a multitude of memories.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2005
    Thanks everyone for stopping by and commenting. I was having trouble getting the lens to focus fast enough to catch the dogs. In other words, in a better world, I would have focused on the eyes, if I had thought of it. That lens is really a new experience to me.

I have to read more about it. I kept holding it on the ring that focuses it manually, that threw off the AF. There is just a small area that doesn't move anything. And my dogs had to be at the end or sides of the yard for the camera to focus at all. That would not be my lens of choice for that small townhouse backyard. In a few days I will get the 17-40 from fish, and I will take it out back too. Should be an interesting comparison. Now I need something in the middle, but I can't afford it.

It is late to say this, but I did nothing to those photographs. I brought them up from RAW, didn't do anything there either, except to change the WB to shade or cloudy for the changing conditions. I did nothing else.

It was a truly no RAW, no PS event. I should have said that. I posted these and went to bed. Just woke up. Was exhausted.

ginger

If anyone can help me on how to deal with holding the lens so that I don't end up changing the focus, please feel free to comment.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited February 11, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:

If anyone can help me on how to deal with holding the lens so that I don't end up changing the focus, please feel free to comment.
    Couple of things that will help with focus. Consider changing the AF point to
    use the single center point. If you have the tripod color on the lens, place it
    in the palm of your left hand and hold the camera with your right.

Good luck!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    Ginger have you considered using a monopod? I love shooting my pups as well and my long lens woudl get heavy after a few minutes. I recently started using a monopod and it has helped greatly. I just got a table top tripod so when teh snow melts I'll be able to get down to eye level which is my favorite way to shoot them..