Options

First real business dealing, need some help

KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited July 15, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
I volunteered with the Clearwater Revival this year as a photographer. I contacted them about it and have shared the images with them and they have asked to use them in the summer newsletter coming out in August, which I have approved.
I met another photographer there who was there under a Press Pass and exchanged contact information. After viewing my images he suggested sending them to a public relations firm he dealt with last year for the Festival. I sent them the link to my site and said that I had met Mr. Smith at the festival and he suggested I send the link to the contact person there to view them.
I received an email requesting to use them for their publicity efforts with credit if they are used. Now, I agreed to let the Clearwater organization use them with only a credit line because I have a long standing relationship with them and they did alot to help me be able to attend the festival for free placing me as a volunteer just to photograph. I asked the photographer who gave me the name of the PR person what he thought of the request and his reply was "if you start free it's hard to go past that."
Last night I got another email from the PR person saying they could not download the images from my site (THANK YOU SMUGMUG GODS!:clap) could I please send them a CD of the images.
I did reply saying that I had not replyed to the request as of yet because I would like to know more about what they will be used for and what compensation is available for their use of the images.

So, what could I have done better? What should I do going forward with this matter? How can I deal with it better for next year's festival or any other event that I may shoot in the future? :dunno

Thanks, guys! I really hope to get some feedback on this matter from those more seasoned and experienced in these matters.

Comments

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    I'm probably only a step or two ahead of you as far as the business end goes, but IMHO you're off to a good start. You've let them know that your images are not free (and have taken steps to prevent theft), and have requested intended usage information so you can prepare proper pricing. thumb.gif

Next is to figure out what proper pricing is for you. A couple of resources I've found invaluable is the Pricing Photography book, and this site--particularly the CDB Calculator.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2007
    Thanks!
    I have clarified this morning that the person I have been speaking to is actually the promotional rep for the Clearwater organization. I have no qualms letting them use the images free of charge being a Non-profit and an organization which my family has close ties with. It has been stated and agreed upon that I retain all rights and ownership of the images to do with as I please and they will credit me in all items they are used in as well as providing me with copies of the materials (ie:brochures, posters etc.)
    There is a personal stroy behind wanting to do this for the Clearwater which I will not bore you with now but it means alot that they want to use them for these purposes.
  • Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    "Now, I agreed to let the Clearwater organization use them with only a credit line because I have a long standing relationship with them and they did alot to help me be able to attend the festival for free placing me as a volunteer just to photograph."

Sounds like you already made your decision. I wouldn't go back on your words here, you'll create bad photog karma. Take a good lesson home, and realize your real worth for future projects.

If you tell them you are now going to charge for photos, they might ask for compensation for the entrance fees. It was YOUR mistake initially to agree to shoot for free, don't get greedy now!

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2007
    Van Isle wrote:
    "Now, I agreed to let the Clearwater organization use them with only a credit line because I have a long standing relationship with them and they did alot to help me be able to attend the festival for free placing me as a volunteer just to photograph."

Sounds like you already made your decision. I wouldn't go back on your words here, you'll create bad photog karma. Take a good lesson home, and realize your real worth for future projects.

If you tell them you are now going to charge for photos, they might ask for compensation for the entrance fees. It was YOUR mistake initially to agree to shoot for free, don't get greedy now!

VI

I was unaware this other person was a representative of theirs and not a separate 'entity' using them for his own purposes. The agreement from the get go was that I was volunteering to photograph the festival and give them the use if the images. I have had no plans to go back on my word to the Clearwater but if anyone else wanted to use them I would require payment. It is a non-profit organization I have been apart of in other ways for many years and I consider this a way to give back to them. Being a non-profit they do not have a large budget for advertising and printing as it is. Seeing as I work for a non-profit I can understand the constraints.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:
    Thanks!
    I have clarified this morning that the person I have been speaking to is actually the promotional rep for the Clearwater organization. I have no qualms letting them use the images free of charge being a Non-profit and an organization which my family has close ties with. It has been stated and agreed upon that I retain all rights and ownership of the images to do with as I please and they will credit me in all items they are used in as well as providing me with copies of the materials (ie:brochures, posters etc.)
    There is a personal stroy behind wanting to do this for the Clearwater which I will not bore you with now but it means alot that they want to use them for these purposes.

Sounds good. I do some gratis work for some groups as well, and I don't think we're the only ones here doing that.