Options

montreal?

SnarcherSnarcher Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
hi all, going to montreal soon, any sugesstions of where to go??

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    Depends how much time you have. Certainly Old Montreal, Downtown (great mix of Old & New architecture), St. Denis Street, Mt. Royal, the underground shopping center (downtown).

You can get just about anywhere by metro. It's a very cool subway because it's not on rails. This is one a very few subways on rubber tires. Quiet and smooth.

Old Montreal is a great place to go day or night. At night, there are lots of small clubs with jazz and other types of music. It's also a great place for many different types of food. In the day, there are art galleries, boutiques, and lots of interesting street photography.

If you're downtown at lunch, my favourite is the St. Hubert restaurant in the Old Train Station,9right across the street from a very interesting little Anglican church. St. Hubert is a well known chicken eatery...

If I think of anything more, i'll leave another post ...
  • Options
    CharlieSCharlieS Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 15, 2007
    Snarcher wrote:
    hi all, going to montreal soon, any sugesstions of where to go??

As was mentioned, downtown in old Montreal offers an immense opportunity for photos, as does some of the areas along the St. Lawrence river.
    St. Joseph's Oratory on Mt. Royal is absolutely beyond discription, and the view over the city when driving up there is awsome.

I dont know about in the summer, but in the winter Mont Treblanc is well worth a visit. Besides being a ski area, theres many quaint shops & you see a lot of european influence that makes for some great photos also.

If your flying, Dorval airport is huge, something like 90 international gates so allow yourself plenty of time to transit the airport and get through customs.
    Return flight, when entering customs, go to the far end of the customs area, there are 2 or 3 gates for U.S. passengers returning to the U.S. and the lines are usually much shorter.

If your driving, or renting a car, be sure to take a good city map, highway access can be somewhat confusing until you learn the system. & be sure to learn a few words of french, most of the road signs are french, & learning a few basics, will help eliminate some confusion. :D
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 16, 2007