Options

LPS9 freedom or security

pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
edited July 21, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither
1306899-2cc.jpg

Hopefully this doesn't stir too much controversy, but I've always though that idea was a very important one. No flags were harmed in this production.
pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007

Hopefully this doesn't stir too much controversy, but I've always though that idea was a very important one. No flags were harmed in this production.

Very cool! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Great lighting and tack sharp toothumb.gif I'm really digging this

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    I've cut out 95% of what I originally typed in this message.

To me, this image certainly doesn't express Freedom, and the Oppression it tries to convey simply does not exist except in the minds of a certain few.

Aside from that, however, it is certainly a well composed, taken, and finished photograph!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    I'm a bright bulb.
    I'm game for political debate.

And I don't fully understand what you are trying to say with this photograph.

It's well done, I just can't figure out which side of the fence you fall.

Am I the only one?!

Jesse
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    I've cut out 95% of what I originally typed in this message.

To me, this image certainly doesn't express Freedom, and the Oppression it tries to convey simply does not exist except in the minds of a certain few.

Aside from that, however, it is certainly a well composed, taken, and finished photograph!

It's not a strict interpretation of the oppression theme, but maybe more of fear of losing freedom theme. My guess is we probably disagree on some things in this area politically, but probably not as much as you'd think. I love America and what it stands for, which is why I fear losing freedom that it offers. Coming from the former Soviet Union, some things I see happening are very disturbing to me.

Anyhow, thanks for the review of the photo. :D And thanks to the Nikolai and Eric&Susan too
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    I'm a bright bulb.
    I'm game for political debate.

And I don't fully understand what you are trying to say with this photograph.

It's well done, I just can't figure out which side of the fence you fall.

Am I the only one?!

Jesse

I think the title (hopefully) describes what I'm trying to illustrate.

As far as political debate, lately, it tends to disintegrate into chaos entirely too quickly for my taste. So I will try to stay away from it. (Probably not the best photo to do that, but this is what popped into my head so there it is)
  • Options
    stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Well, I've always been more artist than a photographer (see my pics for proof! Laughing.gif) .. and I actually enjoy the more provacative images because I think art is a great medium for engaging and challenging people. I tend to lean that direction artistically anyhow.

I'm not sure a contest is the wisest place for that? But I like the image a lot, whatever my personal political sentiment iloveyou.gif It features beautiful colors, and is certainly an engaging work of art IMO.
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    I must be having a Major Blonde Moment...cuz I don't get it, did I miss something in the translation or is it because I am not politically involved??. Sorry no offense mean't!!

In my mind, we are free as long as we don't step over the invisible line created by those in power (The Great White Father). Cuz when we do and they do not agree, they pull out the belt and want to whoop their childrens (american people) butts for not following the rules... (but that is my opinion) Oh Great White Father forgive me for not behaving... OK OK is my Indianness showing again...:D .:giggle Laughing.gif Oh Crap, I'm rambling again.....ha ha

As far as the tecs are concerned, they are very good, what the judges will see is another story, now that I've read all the threads about "international" judges...!

Good Luck with whichever you choose...did I say NICE PHOTO..mwink.gif
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2007
    I have no problem with someone who fought in battle coming home to fully express their opinions about the war they fought in, be it in support or in dissent. Those folks have perhaps more right to that expression than all others.

We spent a lot of time in the threads after LPS8 discussing how images of fireworks in early July might express one thing to an American, then express something unintended, or not anything at all, to someone from just about any other country on the planet. Along those lines, this image is the type that can also be misinterpreted either way. It's similar to how both the images of the naked kid carrying the flag and the howitzer pointed at the flag will be interpreted, either with proud emotion by Americans or with a yawn, or perhaps even a fist-pump, by non-Americans. This image will both mystify and stir rage on both sides of that coin.

I'm not debating politics here at all, so be careful that you don't assume that I have one opinion or another. I'm fully capable of seeing the image with a good measure of maturity, and I'd shake your hand and give you a hug anytime!
    Mark
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    I'd shake your hand and give you a hug anytime!

Awww Heck HC, I'll give ya a hug, even though your avatar looks like Custer...lololol
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2007
    Cussssster? Never saw that 'till now. All along all anyone's been saying to me is that it looks like Rob Redford! Guess that era-izes me! I assure you I'm much bigger, and much less ignorant, in real life! You, truly being the only REAL American here, do see this in a unique way!

Politics aside, I have anally studied the whole LPS series, and these images just don't win, even if we do stretch and learn from them. Enter them if you like, but don't complain about slanted judges afterward! Less than 72 hours to go, and I still have no idea...... Oh for a park in Shanghai!
    Mark
  • Options
    DebboggyDebboggy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    Politics or statements aside, I think this is a very well taken photo and visually interesting to look at. The colors and folds of the flag look great and I like the contrast of the soft material and the sharp barbs of the wire.

thumb.gif

That all said, if you're in the contest to win, I guess you should take into consideration the views mentioned here that will come into play with judging. ne_nau.gif
    ~Debbie~
    Canon Rebel XTi w/18-55mm kit lens
    28-105mm
    100-300mm USM
    100mm macro USM & Kenko extension tubes
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    Good photo... WRONG QUOTE!
    Correct quote by Benjamin F is
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
    Apart from that I love the picture.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2007
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Correct quote by Benjamin F is "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security"

Now we're talking!

And thanks, Tentacion, for joining the ranks of the confused. Confusion loves company!

HC, Redford has nothin' on you!
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    The message seems painfully obvious to me, you have a great symbol of democracy and freedom constrained not be those who seek to destroy it but by those who seek to maintain it through over zealous security and erosion of civil liberties.

That may or may not be the case in America, I can't comment though I have some knowledge of the Patriot Act, but it's certainly happening in the UK.

Of course the great irony is that those who seek to change our way of life by threatening our security succeed every time another of our civil liberties is eroded by our leaders (though I appreciate it's a difficult balancing act.)

Great image as well by the way, very well done!

Charlie
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    I absolutely love this shot... the setup, exicution and post processing are spot on! It is a very good expression of the quote as well... I don't think you will have any problem with misinterpretation...

Winston
  • Options
    JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    Excellent picture clap.gif I like the irregularity of the flag and wire against the solid roundness of the lock. Exposure and focus is great. I got the message instantly.

Jill
    Jill
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    I've read most of the politically oriented posts in the LPS threads and find them all interesting. However, this is a photograph, a piece of art, that is intended to invoke an emotion in it's viewers. Political statement or not. It's title tries to restrict those emotions to those intended by the artist. The photo on it's own, regardless of the title, can be interpreted in many different ways depending on the viewers perspective. It seems to me that ALL of those perspectives would leave the viewer with the feeling of oppression!

With that said, it seems to me that no matter how you look at it, this photo hits the theme dead on! It also seems to be very well done, is interesting to look at, and IMHO would make a great entry.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    The message seems painfully obvious to me, you have a great symbol of democracy and freedom constrained not be those who seek to destroy it but by those who seek to maintain it through over zealous security and erosion of civil liberties.

That may or may not be the case in America, I can't comment though I have some knowledge of the Patriot Act, but it's certainly happening in the UK.

Of course the great irony is that those who seek to change our way of life by threatening our security succeed every time another of our civil liberties is eroded by our leaders (though I appreciate it's a difficult balancing act.)

Great image as well by the way, very well done!

Charlie

Hi Charlie:

So are you saying.....that what I stated in my earlier thread... Pyro has put into a composition?? lol
    In my mind, we are free as long as we don't step over the invisible line created by those in power (The Great White Father). Cuz when we do and they do not agree, they pull out the belt and want to whoop their childrens (american people) butts for not following the rules.
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    Hi Tenacion,

I don't know exactly how things are in the US but in the UK we've experienced over the last 10 years a sustained and surreptitious attack on our civil liberties under the guise of protecting our security.

Here's a link to a very strong article, it goes into great detail and you might find it a little lengthy, but it's worth a scan through for the details:-

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article1129827.ece

Perhaps the nadir of this creeping state control was when an 82 year old lifetime supporter of the Labour Party was recently man handled by stewards and detained by police under the prevention of terrorism act whilst attending a speech given by our Foreign Secretary.

His crime, heckling the speaker. Video

Anyway, back to photography, Pyro's image sums this whole sorry state of affairs up for me in a very clever way, the flag could easily be replaced by the Union Jack and carry the same message for me.

Charlie
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2007
    OK folks, I'm back! ....And awake...

And I do get the message clearly, the USA is imprisoned, or oppressed. In a weird sort of Rorschach way, it even sort of looks like the flag is shaped like the USA. The image doesn't conjure up the title in my mind. It also doesn't conjure up oppression, but instead imprisonment. It will be a great entry anyway. This is afterall an art-creation forum, not an art-appreciation forum, but we all get a bit of both.

Lest folks get the idea that I'm some sort of bigoted knee-jerk conservative from this state that starts everything but never finishes anything, I spoke out publicly to get the confederate flag remomve from our state house, voted consistently for officials who would finally recognize Martin Luther King day, and did NOT vote for this current administration. As someone who does for some reason still feel a bit traditional about the display and treatment of the flag, I do realize that we've fought many wars to preserve the very freedom that is being exercised here. You may do it all day long, but I reserve that can of [EMAIL="hwoop@$$"]hwoop@$$[/EMAIL] in my cupboard for any offspring of mine who do it! Thankfully, it continues to collect dust up there....:deadhorse This point in my mind now considered "hoove's to heaven." (written in an Upstate Carolina drawl!)
    Mark
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    Lest folks get the idea that I'm some sort of bigoted knee-jerk conservative from this state that starts everything but never finishes anything

I didn't think you were :D

To: everyone, thanks for your comments
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2007
    Laughing.gif HC...it takes a big man!!

Hey Pyro...you know when you think about it....you must have a GREAT Composition ..cuz look at all the emotions, and feedback, which your composition has set in motion, AND isn't that what it is all about....and in the words of Al Pacino....."Whoooohah"

Good Luck with your Entry...I'm sure, I'll see it in the TOP Ten...(at least that is my prediction)...mwink.gif

Take Care
    Donna
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Laughing.gif HC...it takes a big man!!

Hey Pyro...you know when you think about it....you must have a GREAT Composition ..cuz look at all the emotions, and feedback, which your composition has set in motion, AND isn't that what it is all about....and in the words of Al Pacino....."Whoooohah"

Good Luck with your Entry...I'm sure, I'll see it in the TOP Ten...(at least that is my prediction)...mwink.gif

Take Care
    Donna

Thanks =c)

I guess so far the feedback has been either "I agree with you and that's a great picture" or "I disagree with you, but that's a great picture", which gives me hope. Quite frankly I'm surprised myself at how it came out headscratch.gif, so I guess we'll see.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    dlscott56 wrote:
    I've read most of the politically oriented posts in the LPS threads and find them all interesting. However, this is a photograph, a piece of art, that is intended to invoke an emotion in it's viewers. Political statement or not. It's title tries to restrict those emotions to those intended by the artist. The photo on it's own, regardless of the title, can be interpreted in many different ways depending on the viewers perspective. It seems to me that ALL of those perspectives would leave the viewer with the feeling of oppression!

With that said, it seems to me that no matter how you look at it, this photo hits the theme dead on! It also seems to be very well done, is interesting to look at, and IMHO would make a great entry.

15524779-Ti.gif Wonderful image, stirs up your emotions immediately upon viewing. I think your intentions speak fairly well (one can only guess!) and will be interpreted similarly in the international community. I would certainly go for it! thumb.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    slanted judges

:bigbs
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    Awesome shot
    Pyro
    Just wanted to add that I think this is an incredible photo and, currently, my top choice for this round. I hope you'll indulge us with a behind-the-scenes post when you win.
    E
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2007
    eoren1 wrote:
    Pyro
    Just wanted to add that I think this is an incredible photo and, currently, my top choice for this round. I hope you'll indulge us with a behind-the-scenes post when you win.
    E

Thanks, I guess since you asked, I will. Hopefully it won't kill the magic :D
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2007
    I think an image that engages people to discuss both sides of an issue is doing exactly what art is supposed to do! WTG.
  • Options
    traunerktraunerk Registered Users Posts: 513 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    i like it....
    seems like a top ten to me...

Regards...Keith
    1306899-2cc.jpg

Beam me outta here!:winkKT